Sign in to follow this  
keller

Ofp and windows xp?

I am currently using Win ME and my comp is well past due for a total re-format. Since I use my computer for a lot of gaming I am hesitant to switch to XP. I just wanted to get some advice about what OS to use.

Anyone having problems using OFP with XP?

And should I go with Pro or Home version if I do update to XP?

Thanks for reading my post.

I run with Windows XP and OFP runs fine, as do all other games I Have tried.

I am running Professional, but for most things Home version is fine.

Home is cheaper if you have to actually buy the software.

I mainly play OFP and half-life Day Of Defeat, I know that there has been problems with hl and XP due mainly to the age of hl, but it's good to hear that OFP runs well with XP.

Thanks for your reply.

OFP runs better on XP for me than any other windows i have tried (98se and *gasp* ME) XP runs all my games perfect tbh

Running OpFlash on Win XP Home, no problems ever, Me was a nightmare compared to XP, you should upgrade without doubts! smile.gif

OFP works great on both Windows 2000 and XP. Just be aware that the minimum system requirements are a bit steeper for XP than for 98 or ME, but it is well worth upgrading.

Once you go to XP youll never go back to any other OS. Never really had a problem with it. Works perfectly with OF.

Now as for the Home and Pro edition. Id say Home, because it doesnt cost as much.

Hope that helps smile.gif

Win XP is great! I have never had any trouble with OFP and XP. Although some games (mainly older ones) can have trouble, you can almost always overcome the difficulties with a patch, or a bit of tweaking... wink.gif

I guess I'm the only one having problems with it.

OFP crashes to desktop when I load a big map (shouldnt' be a memory conflict with 512mb).

it doesnt run the BF1942 SP demo (MP works fine for some reason).

internet Explorer will crash sometimes, but not a big problem

am i the only one having these problems with XP?

EDIT - great, now it's giving me troubles with the MP version of BF1942. mad.gif

FSPilot - Battlefield 1942 has alot of incompatiablities with graphic cards..

As for upgrading XP, if your a diehard OFP fan and thats all you play, go ahead. Some problems I might warn to the diehard HL fans, Windows XP is mad problems with half-life. I cannot host a counter-strike server without crashing, playing with no music on direct3d or software rendering. With and without admin mod. Other then that, It runs well with many games

I have a problem with OFPR (And other games.)

I have a copy of XP but I had just bought a new refurbished comp. And it only has 128 so im scared it wont run right.

My specs are.

P4 1.7 GHZ

60 Gig HD

128 MB RDRAM

Geforce4 MX 420 64 Meg.

Windows ME

And my problem is that load times are unbelivably slow.

And the game is choppy when you look around the map..

I thought it was my graphics settings.. So i set the gound detail on very low and put the screen size down to 800..

Still the son of a biz is soo choppy.. (Playable but choppy)

I was thinking it was my Ram.. Then my freind said it was probably my motherboard. But now that im reading this thread.. Im thinking its... ME !

Could this be it ?

So that is the problem ? Ya cause Its pc600. And it has pair slots.. so I could youz the 2 64 meg sticks along with 2 128's.

Tnx Mrs. Avon biggrin.gif But i must be sure.. How else can i find out if thats the problem ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sphinx @ Aug. 26 2002,07:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So that is the problem ? Ya cause Its pc600. And it has pair slots.. so I could youz the 2 64 meg sticks along with 2 128's.<span id='postcolor'>

You're at minimum requirements for OFPR. That's not good to begin with. Memory makes a big difference in general but your maximum memory is on a miminal system. It will help but you'll have limitations.

You didn't mean a PIII 600, did you?

You have a 1.7. Then add memory. That'll do it. Also update drivers, especially Detonators for you video. Also search The FAQ for "tweaks" and "input delay".

No I have an Intel Pentium 4 Proccesor 1.7 GHZ the Ram itself is PC600 and my motherboard can only support pc600 (that im aware of) so well see. Im gonna sell my quad for money.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Aug. 26 2002,01:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess I'm the only one having problems with it.

OFP crashes to desktop when I load a big map (shouldnt' be a memory conflict with 512mb).

it doesnt run the BF1942 SP demo (MP works fine for some reason).

internet Explorer will crash sometimes, but not a big problem

am i the only one having these problems with XP?

EDIT - great, now it's giving me troubles with the MP version of BF1942. mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

ive always found that any problems with crashing (back when i first got XP) that a clean format worked wonders, since i formatted last, ive not had a glitch.

I have a:

P4 1.3 ghz

512 RDRAM (pc600 like you) I am a cheap bastard

Geforce 3 Ti500

I have no problems with PC600 and Im not sure how much more of a diff you will see with Pc800. Pc800 also costs a good deal more.

BTW, upgrade your Gfx card before XP, the Gf4Mx series sucks hard. Like avon said, go to 512 Ram and you will see a HUGE difference with Load times.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ Aug. 28 2002,08:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's wrong with Windows ME?<span id='postcolor'>

Whats not wrong?

I agree with Espectro, I got BSODs every 5 seconds with ME.. Don't ask me why. I wish I knew.

ME simply isn't as robust as NT-based operating systems with real memory protection and pre-emptive multitasking. In 95/98/ME, a single application or driver can take the entire system down, while in NT/2000/XP, you can almost always just kill the offending process.

yet even 98 imo is better than ME, it doesnt crash anywhere near as much as ME does...thats from my experiance anyway

and yeh, I agree with Mr Frag, NT is far more stable, Im on XP atm and havent crashed since i formatted last (3 months ago)

I have used ME for 1.5 years now, and I have got BSOD only once.

That happened when I clicked on my CD drive in the Explorer, and in the

same time, I pressed the cd "open" button..

It works so fine to me, compared to the NT I've had to work with in the office.