Sign in to follow this  
bracer

The New York City Project

Hey ChrisB. Just to clarify I didn't help bracer make those buildings. Those are all his. All I did was help him move a folder so the animations work. :)

Bracer really nice job so far! I love the revolving door!!! I'm looking forward to this terrain.

Oh and the flickering disappearing building I believe has to do with the size. May be to big. I think charons (some of them) do the same thing. You may have to break the building up into pieces to get around the size limit.

Hey ChrisB. Just to clarify I didn't help bracer make those buildings. Those are all his. All I did was help him move a folder so the animations work. :)

Bracer really nice job so far! I love the revolving door!!! I'm looking forward to this terrain.

Oh and the flickering disappearing building I believe has to do with the size. May be to big. I think charons (some of them) do the same thing. You may have to break the building up into pieces to get around the size limit.

I did know the buildings were bracer’s, but I thought you had done the interiors, so apologies bracer.

So its great work bracer, and nice folder moving m1lkm8n..

;)

:)

I will do a test cutting the buildings into even smaller pieces.

Atm the smallest building with issues is around 26x20m.

Love animations now that I understand them,

so powerful but I don't what to do with them other than doors!

I'll think of some cool features.

Hmm well those dimensions I believe are well within the norm. I recall another thread with this same issue and it had to do with the terrain base layer size being to small. When inside a barn it would disappear at certain angles.

Ah, that rings a bell!

Because the issues did disappear to some extent on the new terrain I'm using!

Well, well! Thanks again M1lkm8n!

Did a test with a properly setup terrain, and the "disappearing building" bug is reduced to almost non existing!

Even the 45x45m building works like a charm.

I had issues in Arma2 with the highrises' shadows disappearing at certain viewangles. Hope that is solved with Arma3. You might wanna follow what the guys building aircraft carriers found out concerning big model pieces. Keep it up, looks very promising!

Here's a small update!

Some of the latest creations + some interiors taking shape.

6kal.jpg

e2d4.jpg

7twv.jpg

I need to learn how to make proper textures, because I don't have alot of variation for the exteriors and interiors...

This looks wonderful. Cant wait to see this develop, this may be the fallujah of arma 3.

Oh! That's aiming high :-) The Fallujah map is a fantastic piece of work!

Glad you like it!

Very very nice! so are you going to add central park too?

maybe you could try doing something similar to gta's IV map:

http://www.tophostgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/gta-4-mapcounterstrike-gta-sa-vloilwt8.jpg

Plus add another airport/airbase at the left of the map, so each faction can have its own airbase, and struggle from the 2 corners from the map like in the big map from operation arrowhead, takistan. Perfect for tug of war gamemodes.

A bit of countryside to the north would be nice too

tools released:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?168804-TECHREPs

EDIT:

Don't worry too much about variation and textures, because overall it's looking really really good, and nobody tried to do something like this before, so please continue like this way :)

Edited by nightovizard

I'm really curious how you dealt with collision, can you show us a sample / wireframe of a collision mesh for a building ?

Very very nice! so are you going to add central park too?

maybe you could try doing something similar to gta's IV map:

http://www.tophostgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/gta-4-mapcounterstrike-gta-sa-vloilwt8.jpg

Plus add another airport/airbase at the left of the map, so each faction can have its own airbase, and struggle from the 2 corners from the map like in the big map from operation arrowhead, takistan. Perfect for tug of war gamemodes.

A bit of countryside to the north would be nice too

tools released:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?168804-TECHREPs

EDIT:

Don't worry too much about variation and textures, because overall it's looking really really good, and nobody tried to do something like this before, so please continue like this way :)

That's what I would like to do!

A park in the middle somewhere is definitly needed.

How big I can make the map depends how the performance changes as I add buildings.

If there's no issues, then I can probably add A3 buildings as suburbs or bases, but it's not in the plan yet.

Performance is starting to degrade, but I think and hope it's related to one or to buildings that I need to optimize.

I'm really curious how you dealt with collision, can you show us a sample / wireframe of a collision mesh for a building ?

They are still WIP, atm it's almost a copy of the main LOD, but I noticed that if the GEO-LOD is too detailed it adds alot of weight to the files and seem to slow down the game.

I need to experiment a bit more before I can show anything...

Something special you want an answer to?

have you testes AI acess to these buildings, because if they cant use the buildings then PvE will get boring, so just a heads up

Not yet. My goal is set on a fun PvP map, functional AI will just be a bonus.

Oh yeah! I downloaded your mod allready Maxjoiner! Thanks!!

have you testes AI acess to these buildings, because if they cant use the buildings then PvE will get boring, so just a heads up

I wish making things functional for AI was not thought of as bonus work. PLEASE get these working for AI. So many good maps become worthless for AI. With other games MP and SP are cut and dry. It's one or the other. In Arma most MP missions end up being coop because a lot of missions include squads that have AI in it. And it sucks when the best place to fight won't let AI stay with humans. They stay outside or get stuck because they won't walk up a simple set of stairs. You end up only playing out in the open terrain. AI won't go near a lot of rocks, won't drive near trees. Some maps just get skipped when it comes to creating missions. With bi's open world playability, it's difficult when there are AI dead zones.

You worked hard on these buildings, they look great. I can't wait to use them. I know it's easy to not worry about AI, but it's definitely worth the effort. Well that's assuming that you care that others want to use your work. Some don't care if people use them or like them etc.

But they look good. I can't wait to use them. There are a lot of objects, past and present, that would look good inside the buildings for mission makers to use. Thanks for the effort. AI or not, it's definitely appreciated.

Ran some quick tests with the AI now, see the results in the video below.

Also figured out how to use proxies so that I can add some furniture!

Good stuff, important progress!

Don't expect them to walk up to the 24th floor by themself though.

oh god..

I love the feeling and the size of those buildings.

You 're doing a great job man.

Please keep it up!

And of course, the test of tests....

OMG lol

PLEASE:

PD: Nice to see infantry moving inside buildings :)

Edited by nightovizard