Sign in to follow this  
bracer

The New York City Project

Hey!

I've started to work on some buildings inspired by structures from Manhattan.

They are very low quality at the moment for two reasons,

my lacking modelling skills and performance reasons (I want to be able to put alot of buildings in a small space).

I'm not sure where this project is heading yet, it depends on how I manage to get the skyscrapers functional and useable.

It might become a building addon only, a small PvP map or hopefully a fully functional minihattan map.

5ldw.jpg

cq96.jpg

2pci.jpg

vwf5.jpg

4diq.jpg

Edited by bracer

Hey!

I've started to work on some buildings inspired by structures from Manhattan.

Yeah baby.. da BIG APPLE! Nice to have the hometown in ArmA.

I'm not sure where this project is heading yet.....

Zombies

I like the idea. Maybe not NYC so much, but I definitely wanted to explore the Fortress America concept and mod some buildings to display some more familiar American type of locations.

If you can add proper doors i might have a script laying around here somewhere that is able to lock them in a3.

this could make for a fun garry's mod type map.

Looks really good. But it doesn't really have the NY vibe to it.

this reminds me of the bf4 beta. in a very good way. i can see some great battle happening. can't wait! you should also place ladders to the roof on each house. this can make even buildings that aren't enterable at all very usable in a tactical way.

Looks great so far! Reminds me of where Neo and Agent Smith have there final fight.

I would also like to have it AiA optional. Best would be if you could place it somewhere on Altis, because a real city is what's missing.

But anyway, this is going to turn out great! Keep it up!

I'm a big fan of incorporating USA land into ARMA. I remember doing USA like islands for OFP as a part of AirWolf mod. Unfortunately, there are still AI and engine barriers that limit big cities projects. If I may say something - focus on american like towns, suburbs, highways or airports instead of big cities like NY. Urban fight in big cities - it's BF4 task... Arma potential lies in little towns/ countryside battles.

Thanks for the feedback!

Zombies

Yes, I had that thought once or twice... OK, more like eleven times...

Specially after watching the rainy video after I recorded it.

I like the idea. Maybe not NYC so much, but I definitely wanted to explore the Fortress America concept and mod some buildings to display some more familiar American type of locations.

I checked the link, but I'm not familiar with it. But it sounds like it's a mission builder thing and nothing I should add?

This looks great, I ask that you make AiA optional though.

It will only require AiA in case I make a map with the buildings, I haven't updated my Visitor working enviroment with A3 bulldozer and objects yet.

The buildings themself does not require anything.

If you can add proper doors i might have a script laying around here somewhere that is able to lock them in a3.

Definitly planning to have functional doors!

could you maje same vid in daylight?

I can. But for now you have to settle with what's on my youtube channel.

Is there a specific question you want an answer to?

Looks really good. But it doesn't really have the NY vibe to it.

Remember it's only about buildings so far, ignore the map I use to test them.

What do the buildings need to get a NY vibe? They are modelled after real buildings.

this reminds me of the bf4 beta. in a very good way. i can see some great battle happening. can't wait! you should also place ladders to the roof on each house. this can make even buildings that aren't enterable at all very usable in a tactical way.

Good! I need another way to reach the floors, since adding elevators might be a problem.

Looks great so far! Reminds me of where Neo and Agent Smith have there final fight.

I would also like to have it AiA optional. Best would be if you could place it somewhere on Altis, because a real city is what's missing.

But anyway, this is going to turn out great! Keep it up!

We need a martial arts mod!!

See answer above regarding AiA.

Cheers dudes!

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

I'm a big fan of incorporating USA land into ARMA. I remember doing USA like islands for OFP as a part of AirWolf mod. Unfortunately, there are still AI and engine barriers that limit big cities projects. If I may say something - focus on american like towns, suburbs, highways or airports instead of big cities like NY. Urban fight in big cities - it's BF4 task... Arma potential lies in little towns/ countryside battles.

Agreed, BF4 among other games probably does it best (havn't tried BF4).

But still believe that Arma 2/3 needs a try at this.

There's plenty of awesome maps that fit the game perfectly (don't know about any other US maps though).

But I decided we need enterable skyscrapers/highrises, if only for PvP, that's enough for me.

I might fail totally though, we'll see....

This is what I have been waiting for. The exact type of map I need for the Alien Invasion movie I want to make with Bad Benson's AlienZ mod. Keep up the great work.

I checked the link, but I'm not familiar with it. But it sounds like it's a mission builder thing and nothing I should add?

It's a board game from the 80's where you had three factions invading America from the west, south and east. Nothing you should add for a NYC pack, just something I've been pondering.

Oh man this looks good! Would be great to have some yellow cabs to crush and Donald Trump as end level BoSS!

:pet6:

Best luck!

Oh man this looks good! Would be great to have some yellow cabs to crush and Donald Trump as end level BoSS!

:pet6:

Best luck!

oh my god you found a trump smiley!

i'm a big fan of emita. can't wait for this. bracer, if you need some help with stuff, me and milkman are doing some experiments with destruction effects and stuff for his sahrani buildings. i'd be happy to connect you guys.

Thanks for the feedback!

Good! I need another way to reach the floors, since adding elevators might be a problem.

You could do what BF4 does and have the elevators teleport players after a delay.

You could do what BF4 does and have the elevators teleport players after a delay.

Might be hard to do outside of a scripted mission in arma. Is it even possible to do this on a terrain level?

edit: Maybe include an elevator script module with the island.

Be very careful how accurate you make this that is all Im saying about it.....

Might be hard to do outside of a scripted mission in arma. Is it even possible to do this on a terrain level?

edit: Maybe include an elevator script module with the island.

totally possible without a module or mission script. and probably the best solution for very high buildings.

Dude, this looks outstanding... like, i actually felt like being in a city when watching the video, great job!

This is brilliant. If they're addon for buildings, I'd like to use them and spawn them in with Lynx's GID script for some CQB/Tango hunt missions that I'll be working on (progress slow because of college).

I like how you added interiors and being able to go upstairs and such as well.

A nice city NY, would be great to see it in the game, good luck with it all.

Awesome! I have always wanted something like this in arma! I think it would be amazing PvP! All that's left after a bunch of cars on the street.

I do think though that you could speed things up a bit, both modeling and performance, by actually taking away some enterable buildings. Awesome work. If you need help on any little doodads, ie trashcans, dropboxes... let me know!

Thanks for the comments!

oh my god you found a trump smiley!

i'm a big fan of emita. can't wait for this. bracer, if you need some help with stuff, me and milkman are doing some experiments with destruction effects and stuff for his sahrani buildings. i'd be happy to connect you guys.

Yesh, that sounds interesting! Some buildings are split in parts, so having them be destroyable might be a problem.

Glad you liked Emita! It was a fun project!

Be very careful how accurate you make this that is all Im saying about it.....

Unless I quit my job and familiy, take a 2 year 3D modelling course, go to outer space and borrow a hightech computer from a more developed lifeform than humans,

then you don't need to worry that it will be tooooo accurate to real life NYC.

Care to explain more in detail what accuracy I should be cautious with?

Awesome! I have always wanted something like this in arma! I think it would be amazing PvP! All that's left after a bunch of cars on the street.

I do think though that you could speed things up a bit, both modeling and performance, by actually taking away some enterable buildings. Awesome work. If you need help on any little doodads, ie trashcans, dropboxes... let me know!

Yeah, everything wont be enterable, it depends how possible and simple it is to make.

Thanks for the offer! I might get back to you!

Compared to you're Emita map will it be bigger or smaller?

Cannot tell yet. Buildings are the main focus now.