Sign in to follow this  
JakartaJim

Mouse acceleration

This is my third attempt to solve the problem with the mouse acceleration. Slowly, I have the feeling that the developers do not know what mouse acceleration is.

When flying a Manta by hand it is much too difficult to aim. This is because the control is not only dependent on the length of the movement of the mouse, but also on the speed at which the mouse is moved. This is called mouse acceleration.

Some people call this aiming aid, but it isn’t. It is not helpful! It is annoying. It is not helpful if you want to adjust the crosshair on a target and you know you have to move the mouse for a certain distance. If you do it too fast you move the crosshair too far. If you do it slowly you have to move the mouse much too far too reach the target. And it takes too long. And if it takes too long, you move the mouse quicker, but that will move the mouse far beyond the target. From this point, you move the mouse back and the disaster starts again. … Very helpful!

In Windows, you can turn this off but this has no effect on Carrier Command. The mouse acceleration is still on and makes the mantas unflyable and the shooter part is a totally disaster.

Can you please add settings in the options menu with which you can completely turn off the mouse acceleration. THIS WILL BE HELPFUL! ;)

This is my third attempt to solve the problem with the mouse acceleration. Slowly, I have the feeling that the developers do not know what mouse acceleration is.

When flying a Manta by hand it is much too difficult to aim. This is because the control is not only dependent on the length of the movement of the mouse, but also on the speed at which the mouse is moved. This is called mouse acceleration.

Some people call this aiming aid, but it isn’t. It is not helpful! It is annoying. It is not helpful if you want to adjust the crosshair on a target and you know you have to move the mouse for a certain distance. If you do it too fast you move the crosshair too far. If you do it slowly you have to move the mouse much too far too reach the target. And it takes too long. And if it takes too long, you move the mouse quicker, but that will move the mouse far beyond the target. From this point, you move the mouse back and the disaster starts again. … Very helpful!

In Windows, you can turn this off but this has no effect on Carrier Command. The mouse acceleration is still on and makes the mantas unflyable and the shooter part is a totally disaster.

Can you please add settings in the options menu with which you can completely turn off the mouse acceleration. THIS WILL BE HELPFUL! ;)

Your pleas are falling on deaf ears it seems. I emailed support months ago about this and the fact my "game mouse" lags way behind my movements. They said they thought they fixed it in the response they gave to me, and said they would look into it for next patch. Needless to say, nothing has happened. As expected.

I hope the developers know the difference between mouse acceleration and a laggy mouse. ;)

I hope the developers know the difference between mouse acceleration and a laggy mouse. ;)

I think you'll find they're similar symptoms of the same problem

;)

They are completely different things. Mouse acceleration was a design choice, mouse lag wasn't. I don't really get any mouse lag in the game, just on the main menu due to the background scenes rendering and sometimes on the map, but the acceleration made the FPS parts unplayable for me and is the main reason I only completed the campaign once. It does also make fine control of aiming vehicles very difficult, but not as bad as in the FPS sections.

They are completely different things. Mouse acceleration was a design choice, mouse lag wasn't. I don't really get any mouse lag in the game, just on the main menu due to the background scenes rendering and sometimes on the map, but the acceleration made the FPS parts unplayable for me and is the main reason I only completed the campaign once. It does also make fine control of aiming vehicles very difficult, but not as bad as in the FPS sections.

Both these problems are caused by the fact you are forced to let the game emulate your mouse.

Most games leave mouse control to windows, so it moves *exactly* like it would in windows - i.e. if you change mouse acceleration settings in windows, it will affect the mouse in game as it is literally the same mouse.

Because of this forcing of the game handling the mouse, when the game slows down even a little bit, the effects can be seen in the mouse controls too because the game process is lacking resources.

Play most other games on full display settings, and you'll find that even if you can slow the game down to a crawl, the mouse will still respond normally, like it would in windows (usually a running game would take up an entire core on a multicore processor, (i.e. 50% of a dual core) so the mouse would be emulated on a different core, perhaps this too makes a difference)

Therefore, I stand by my argument that the problems are similar (i.e. the mouse not moving as desired, with no settings to remedy / reduce the problem), and the cause is exactly the same in both scenarios - BI forcing the mouse to be handled by the game process, rather than windows.

No offence to you Species, the reason I made the statement that you replied to above was just in case the OP (JakartaJim) was being sarcastic towards me - perhaps I'm wrong (but I don't think I am), and it's uncalled for when I'm showing my support for the thread.

I didn't assume he was being sarcastic, I assumed he meant when you said they thought they had fixed it, maybe they thought they had fixed the acceleration but actually just the lag. Dwarden stated on Steam that they could not justify the resources to remove the acceleration, so I do not have high hopes this will ever be reversed. The lag problem could probably be improved by giving more executions to the mouse code (polling rate), as well as overall performance improvements would probably make a big difference.

As you say, if they just let the OS drive the mouse, we would probably have none of these problems.

I didn't assume he was being sarcastic, I assumed he meant when you said they thought they had fixed it, maybe they thought they had fixed the acceleration but actually just the lag. Dwarden stated on Steam that they could not justify the resources to remove the acceleration, so I do not have high hopes this will ever be reversed. The lag problem could probably be improved by giving more executions to the mouse code (polling rate), as well as overall performance improvements would probably make a big difference.

As you say, if they just let the OS drive the mouse, we would probably have none of these problems.

Perhaps you are right and hopefully you are right that i just misunderstood him.

I'm guessing Dwarden is a developer? by "could not justify the resources to remove the acceleration", does resources mean manpower time to make the changes? If so, it's almost like they're outright stating that our problems are not worthy of being fixed.

the best route would be to check if the problem still exists in Take On Mars ...

if it does then you can try pursue fix by reporting it into TKOM bug tracker

if it's fixed , you may ask for backporting of that fix

With all due respect Dwarden, why should we be expected to buy any more of your companies products to check if a fault in an existing, already purchased, and completely standalone product has been fixed? Why should we spend $17.99 on a possibility? You yourselves cannot provide an answer. Have you done no testing? That is simply staggering.

I've stuck with this game through thick and thin, but you have now utterly gasted my flabber.

Umm, what does Take On Mars have to do with Carrier Command??? Is it the same engine?

If they are not the same engine, then what the heck would Take On Mars have to do with Carrier Command?

TKOM is on improved version of same engine ...

So when will you be sending us complimentary Steam keys for Take on Mars so that we can further beta test?

So when will you be sending us complimentary Steam keys for Take on Mars so that we can further beta test?

haha, i like it!!

or, the developers could do a better job and raise SOME faith in them by testing the problem themselves...

It's highly unlikely they will.

This game is dead and gone. There will probably be future updates, but I think it unlikely we will ever see the full editor or multiplayer. Really kind of sad.

Of course, I would absolutely love to be proven wrong.

They actually gave us the map editor, but forgot to tell us how to use it. Oh and you can't add islands at the moment, but you can replace current ones. That is, if you want to spend a few hours trying to figure out the editor.

And going back and reading some of page one:

the best route would be to check if the problem still exists in Take On Mars ...

if it does then you can try pursue fix by reporting it into TKOM bug tracker

if it's fixed , you may ask for backporting of that fix

O.O :butbut: This needs more elaboration because at the moment it comes across in a bad way. Why should we have to buy Take On Mars so that the devs can/would even think of fixing a bug in CC?

And why can't all of the fixes and improvements that are made to the engine in Take On Mars be back-ported to CC if they are the same engine?

TKOM fixes were already and still might be backported to CC: GM...

the Mouse Acceleration issue in CC: GM and TKOM is 'problem' and deeper than just 'fix by clapping hands'

it plagues me too so i can understand the pain but the solution isn't as trivial as it seems

Thank you for the reply.

the Mouse Acceleration issue in CC: GM and TKOM is 'problem' and deeper than just 'fix by clapping hands'

....... but the solution isn't as trivial as it seems

That much is obvious. If it was that easy to fix it would have been fixed way back during the first beta release....... What you really need is to find your magic wand, click your heals together 3 times, and then get back to work.

But it is a bad reflection on a developer when they allow several games to be released with identical major issues. A prime example of this would be path finding.

We all want these games to be good, but its a bad reflection on the developer when identical systemic issues show up in most ( if not all ) of the developer's games.

PS: please don't take any of this in a bad way. We post because we give a crap, at least, enough to take a few min out of the day to post a few words so that all may get down to the bottom of the issue.

Am I correct to assume that this issue is the same issue I'm having which is the severe delay when I move my mouse around the select menus? It's very hard to make a precise movement. This also makes flying a manta very hard since I can't aim without a great deal of effort.

The words aim and manta currently do not belong together.