Sign in to follow this  
Chocolate

Is the 40mm lethal enough?

Is the 40mm round Lethal enough?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is the 40mm round Lethal enough?

• It is fine as currently implemented?
    • Not nearly lethal enough? (needs to be more *damaging*)
    • Needs a slight tweak for more lethality?
    • Needs a slight tweak for less lethality?

Quite simply, is the 40mm, under-slung grenade launcher rounds lethal enough as they exist in the game currently? It is my experience that short of a near direct hit, they do not pose much threat.

Opinions and comments please.

If shot someone with a grenade launcher... they never made it out alive. You just have to be really good with it, it was strange switching from Arma 2 to Arma 3 Grenade Physics but ounce you get a hang of it, you will come to find you can get easy take downs with it.

I'm finding the AI is messing me up with it pretty good :) not sure if it's part of vanilla or one of the AI mods though.

I fully appreciate that there are bigger picture issues going on in the Forums. I follow most of them, even though I decide not to comment much, but I would appreciate anyone's feedback on this. Try to get some small picture ideas/issues fleshed out a bit.

I honestly have no idea how well they work in RL compared to the game.

IRL:

5m lethal radius

15m casualty radius

So stand 15m away from an explosion and see if you get hurt.

I would rather not! :p

I think they are fine as they are. You don't want something that's to overpowered, especially when you have got really good accuracy with them.

You don't want something that's to overpowered

They don't need to be overpowered, they just need to simulate real life specs. And i think they do not.

We still don't have a Fragmentation Simulation. It's not that important with 40mm Launched Grenades as it would, with thrown ones, but it's still a factor. So, i guess the Radius of the Blast should be increased. In A2 we had Parameters for Direct Damage, Direct Damage Radius, Blast Damage, Blast Damage Radius - so i'd suggest to adjust these parameters for a Deadly amount of Damage in 5m Radius, and a 15m Radius for a not-quite-lethal Damage, but at least it should hurt quite bad. Or kill anyone who's already injured, of course.

IRL:

5m lethal radius

15m casualty radius

I have done some testing and the 5m lethal radius seems to be about right. No real complaint there. Outside of that it seems to most often violently shake your world. I suppose I expect a better casualty radius. I don't think there is a "shrapnel pattern" in game (which would be awesome for everything) So, it still seems to me without hitting your target you aren't doing much good except scaring a player and pissing off the AI.

The UGL seems to be fairly useless in Arma 3.
Just spend some time with it. It just takes some practice.

Just spend some time with it. It just takes some practice.

You mean its damage somehow increases the longer I use it or what? Because in the other parts of the Arma series it's a pretty effective area of effect weapon, not so in Arma 3. I've already had plenty of situations where I should've landed the grenade close enough to kill my opponent, but he instead shrugged it off and proceeded to kill me the more simple way.

I don't think it's the lethality, it's more because there's no wounding mechanic in the game; so units that might be in the blast radius (but not killed) run off like nothing happened

i have just witnessed 2 unimpressive events regarding the 40mm.

In my yesterday's clan match, in two different occasions, my teammates failed not only to die but even getting something more than slightly wounded by greandes falling less than half a meter from them. The three of them sort of huddled together one on top of the other, trying to pick the tires out of an enemy HGL Ifrit we had to re-use. Since i was the medic i stayed back a bit in order not to get slayed, and the show i saw was not somethnig i would label as "authentic": the Ifrit started bombarding the three of them with its GL, and tosed not less than 15 grenades, 5 of which fell in a 1 meter radius from them. The final result was one dead after the 4th or 5th, and one wounded. There was a man tall perimetral wall nearby that took all the 15 hit barrage, but failed to fall.

Later that evening, i was immediately behind two team mates, them lying down and me crouching looking for target somewhat far away. A grenade falls at not longer than 1 meter from me, even less from those in front of me. I havent suffered a scratch, one of them walked away as if nothing has happened and got treated.

Of course i agree that without a scaled wounding system, one is healthy and kicking until his HP goes to 0 where it dies, so we dont know the extent of the damage in terms of HPs that a grenade does. But it's pretty desolating that a grenade (or five) falling within arm stretch lenght fails to instakill a footman.

Edited by Maffa

Yeah, I just tested 10m (measured with a waypoint radius) impact. No effect.

The casualty radius is 15m IRL.

Yeah^^ It is kinda sad. I have stopped taking UGLs because its not worth my time. It isn't a force multiplier right now.

as per wikipedia entry

(M433) High-Explosive. Dual Purpose Round. The HEDP round has an olive drab aluminum skirt with a steel cup attached, white markings, and a gold ogive (head of the round). It penetrates at least 5 cm (2 inches) when fired straight at steel armor at 150 meters or less, or, at a point target, it arms between 14 and 27 meters, causes casualties within a 130-meter radius, and has a kill radius of 5 meters.[5]

(M406) High-Explosive Round. The HE round has an olive drab aluminum skirt with a steel projectile attached, gold markings, and a yellow ogive. It arms between 14 and 27 meters, produces a ground burst that causes casualties within a 130-meter radius, and has a kill radius of 5 meters.[

130m means maximum radius. After that, the average splinter it creates just isn't going fast enough to hurt you. The reliable casualty radius (we should always allow for luck) is 15m.

Nice to see a thread about this. Been noticing 40mm rounds are useless compared to ArmA 2. AI just do their little twerk-n-wobble and skip away. I use to love using a UGL in ArmA, now it's left me pretty much feeling it's a waste.