Sign in to follow this  
Yashamalu

So how good is MXSW?

im fine with the mk200/minimi/M249/whatever fancy name people wants to call it. I still dont see a reason to change it, yet.

Edited by Maffa

Ehhh, the point is that there's real-life precedent for going in the "magazine-fed, modified assault rifle" direction -- and Arma 2 in fact showed just that with non-USMC weapons -- so it's not like BI is somehow leaping out of left-field or being inauthentic about the IAR concept as embodied by the MX SW.

I'll add that while people may think M27 IAR because it was chosen for issue, there were other weapons competed such as a Colt IAR, a

, and even the SCAR-based FN Heat Adaptive Modular Rifle (the real-life basis behind the "HAMR" depicted in Call of Duty: Black Ops II), and the Ultimax 100 (Mark 4 or Mark 5, sources vary as to which) although the latter was designed as a standalone weapon instead of being a variant on an assault rifle.

As an interesting point of note, today's changelog mentions "Higher caliber affects damage dealt (this is WIP and will need ammunition encoding to become noticeable)", so relative to we may be looking at some measure of attempted asymmetrical balance with regards to the factions in this respect (NATO having the lowest capacity of the three but magazine-fed, AAF using a lower-caliber AR but the highest capacity in its 6.5 mm belt-fed, and CSAT using a 7.62 mm belt-fed of medium capacity).

I don't think anyone is against the MXSW, but the fact there isn't a replacement for the 249\240. The Mk200 isn't a NATO weapon is it?

The biggest problem people have with the MX SW is that it's not very good for what it's meant to do. At least Arma 2's RPK-74 has better prone recoil control than its assault rifle counterpart.

It's the AAF automatic weapon, although apparently at least one of the UKSF characters (BLUFOR > NATO > Men (Story)) has a Mk18 ABR (DMR) in his loadout instead of a MXM, and of course custom-loadout-by-config remains possible.

Mk. 200 picked up where the M249 left off.

I doubt we will be stuck with these weapons for long, with all the excellent weapon mods out there.

Don't see why the devs wouldn't make more weapons for Vanilla. It is after all 2035, and there are tons of options for weapons. like the Masada, the FN FAL's (Modern Ones), plenty of medium/long blot action and semi snipers like the T-5000 and Sako TRG M10 moth can use Lapua .338 Magnum rounds. I mean, there are so many future weapons, i doubt BI will leave us with just one gun for each faction.

because people that buy boxes dont come to forums and dont know a thing about addons, and they may.

they want all the pretty things inside the boxes and cant bother with unofficial stuff because that would make them half a pirate: they pay they want the whole cake.

The sick relationship between BIs and modders is something with few precedents in the gaming world. You cannot release a frame, call it a game and leave the content filling for volunteers. Back when i was young there was a "game" whose name was "Shoot'em Up Construction Kit", i still remember the review on Zzap! Well that is no game, thats a tool for doing games.

So yes they should put in as much as content as a final gamer customer expects them to. If you or i will use it is of no concern. I actually do, as to date, because 5.56 rifles suck with their stopping power and using the caseless 6.5 makes it easier to kill opponents (and we all know how AI aimbots work), but as soon as an ACE-like mod comes out im bailing from this clancy-esque scenario and ill be back to 2013. This doesnt expempt BIS from doing what they are expected to do, delivering a complete game (which they are pretty committed to do, as it seems).

Edited by Maffa

uh no i didnt, even though i used the same arguments here and there in the past few days. why?

I'm tired of hearing about mods... try and sift and sort your way through the maze of servers and mods to try and find a good server with the correct stuff.. that sort of frustration will already turn most people off from the game.