Sign in to follow this  
Baleur

All these new patches and we STILL can't use GPS inside the tank driver seat.

Absolutely ridiculous that the GPS is forced off in certain situations, such as looking through a scope or in certain vehicle optics or turrets or even the bloody main driver seat of the tanks!

There's no excuse for this. How hard can it be to fix?

allow_gps=1

How many months will we have to wait for this? Arma 2 never solved this. Will Arma 3 also never bother?

Stop adding new graphical rain effects. Start making the tiny tweaks / fixes that we need for actual gameplay!

I'm quite sure that you aren't able to look on your GPS while looking down a scope. Or a vehicle optics. And also i don't think that Tank drivers do have GPS but the commander might have. So i highly doubt that this is considered a "bug" but how it is intended to be.

Because it will be displayed in one MFD when interiors are done.

:j:

Yes I was about to say that, modernized armor with digital upgrades are generally capable of situational awareness in the form of GPS with maps and blueforce tracking.

This is not something PIP is going to take care of and it wouldn't be the best method on account of it being an option that can be disabled not to mention the FPS hit.

The GPS overlay would give the option to simulate this in a way so that the player wouldn't need to rely on the non existant interior.

Myke;2535274']I'm quite sure that you aren't able to look on your GPS while looking down a scope. Or a vehicle optics. And also i don't think that Tank drivers do have GPS but the commander might have. So i highly doubt that this is considered a "bug" but how it is intended to be.
Anybody can have a 20$ gps in 2013. Or a nice GPS for 150$ let alone a smart phone.. how many are there now ..over 5billion... thats over 5b GPSs. A Tank driver will have a GPS, maybe not in 2008 USA Army ( but alot did/do).. and this is 2035... A GPS wrist watch is real now.. and would be in 20+ years just another very cheap gadget. Now the overlay is a different issue. It shouldn't be a overlay, it should be a GPS device you have to look at. And only in freelook, so scopes are out , zoomed up looking out while driving is out. Magic GPS and Maps are lame , but just the way it is. Yeah not a bug, but poor choice.

tsk tsk , i know this is very offtopic but you all calculate with the state of world where GPS and Glonass and Galilleo systems exists ...

in case of major war ...the key priority would be to destroy these systems either globally or in area covering you country/continent

(note: yet i agree the panels/ features for commader/crew is needed)

tsk tsk , i know this is very offtopic but you all calculate with the state of world where GPS and Glonass and Galilleo systems exists ...

in case of major war ...the key priority would be to destroy these systems either globally or in area covering you country/continent

Modern recruits begin to show a lack of orientation with map and compass already, and quite often the question is raise why recruits have to learn to use map and compass in the age of GPS...see answer above. Most military vehicles and aircraft rely on a inertial or plain analog distance counter navigation system for a reason.

Absolutely ridiculous that the GPS is forced off in certain situations, such as looking through a scope or in certain vehicle optics or turrets or even the bloody main driver seat of the tanks!

There's no excuse for this. How hard can it be to fix?

allow_gps=1

How many months will we have to wait for this? Arma 2 never solved this. Will Arma 3 also never bother?

Stop adding new graphical rain effects. Start making the tiny tweaks / fixes that we need for actual gameplay!

The tank driver HUD is so bad. IMO its a placeholder and is going to be completely rebuilt to be more realistic.

The tank driver HUD is so bad. IMO its a placeholder and is going to be completely rebuilt to be more realistic.
No one said it would be rebuilt. There is no reason to believe it will be. Dont expect things until the devs confirm it will be in the game.

At this moment stealing the furniture seems more important than disabling the GPS systems ;)

Anybody can have a 20$ gps in 2013. Or a nice GPS for 150$ let alone a smart phone.. how many are there now ..over 5billion... thats over 5b GPSs.

Oh, i waited for this one. Please, do me a favour: close your eyes and imagine a tank driver, his position in the tank, the material he's surrounded with. Now please explain me what you guess what signal strength you expect in this farradaic cage from GPS/Glonass satelites.

Myke;2536004']Oh' date=' i waited for this one. Please, do me a favour: close your eyes and imagine a tank driver, his position in the tank, the material he's surrounded with. Now please explain me what you guess what signal strength you expect in this farradaic cage from GPS/Glonass satelites.[/quote']

hm? Tanks have antennas?, GPS positioning was invented by the DoD and exclusively built for military systems.

m1a1-tank.jpg

@defk0n_NL

please re-read the quoted part. We aren't talking about any built-in GPS which surely would have the required antennas to receive the signal. The argument is about privately owned GPS systems used in a tank. Hell, i don't get any GPS signal in my house which is only wood.

Lol.

"We won't build tanks with GPS, coz the baddies will have destroyed the satelites for sure".

-Nobody ever.

Since we are not able to look through the left and right episcopes I don't think that the driver using a GPS is too unreallistic.

Lol.

"We won't build tanks with GPS, coz the baddies will have destroyed the satelites for sure".

-Nobody ever.

Have you ever tried to use a mobile phone or a mobiler GPS from inside a sealed armoured vehicle?

Oh great, now Arma is even simulating the loss of signal inside tanks! Amazing isn't it?

But why I can still use it when I'm in the cargo area?

Or in every crew position when in 3rd person view?

AMAZING!

Now stop the idiotic excuses for BI overlooks and fix this for gameplay sake.

Oh great, now Arma is even simulating the loss of signal inside tanks! Amazing isn't it?

AMAZING!

First step would be a ticket on the feedback tracker, if a ticket already exists then lets vote it up.

LOL

"

Breaking news: all GPS/galileo satellites devoted to servicing tank guidance have been offed by an enemy anti-satellite strike this morning. DoD primosed retaliation incoming."

As they have no interiors we are forced into optics view.

Please give us interiors... It's not only for this issue.

Please give us interiors... It's not only for this issue.

Yes, that's much more important than GPS or whatever.

AMAZING!

No, it doesn't simulate the loss of signal at all. It probably was a decision made at some point: should the driver have GPS, yes or no? No, he get direction commands from the commander and besides that he should focus on the road/area.

Simple as that. The Driver doesn't need to have a GPS, the Commander does. It's not up to the driver to know where they are and if the Driver really needs satelite navigation to find it's way, then he probably shouldn't be on the drivers seat at first.

As playing infantry mostly I have one suggestion. My GPS disappears all the time, I don't know why. Maybe because I use scope or whatever. Doesn't matter.

What I would suggest is that if I have GPS on and use something that turns it off, when I return to 'normal' mode, turn GPS on automatically.

Running - GPS on.

Scoping - GPS off.

Running again, GPS on.

GPS would be useful simply for navigation through tough spaces... because NOW unfortunately the drivers view in tanks simply sucks :P. Furthermore, when I am in third view I can use GPS ;].