Sign in to follow this  
edc

Idea for movie

I got a great(atleast I think so) idea for a movie/series of movies: about the campaigns for ofp.(1985, Red Hammer, and Res.). I bet most people in this forum would watch it.

Actually, a well done cold war drama could be really good. I wouldnt use Flashpoint as a basis for it, because as great a game as this is, the plots are a little thin biggrin.gif

I'd love to see a 'fictional conflict' sort of thing based on the Soviet/American animosity of the cold war. I would however want to see it as a coproduction, so it's less a 'goodguy/badguy' thing and more a study of conflicting ideology.

But with action and explosions. biggrin.gif

I agree with Tex. But the game plot was great, espeically David Armstrong. Maybe a movie wouldn't be that bad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Aug. 25 2002,02:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I agree with Tex.  But the game plot was great, espeically David Armstrong.  Maybe a movie wouldn't be that bad.<span id='postcolor'>

Ack.

Read 'Red Storm Rising'

Then tell me that Flashpoint had a good plot biggrin.gif

It's not BAD...it's just not exactly full and engaging wink.gif

I wouldn't mind a film which sacrifices a good plot for a lot of cool, realistic fighting (no chuck norris films here). Of course, Yanks vs Ruskies, m-16's vs AK's, abrams vs T-80, Hind vs Cobra, bmp vs m113 .... it'd be pretty good since most cold war films are just politicians worrying about nukes

i mean come on guys.... how many releases of Tomb Raider did the designers have to make before a film was made...??

Sure i would love to see a movie based on Resistance and how they had to do different missions by stealing East armor etc.

But im sure no one is going to pay much attention till lots of ofp games are released.

Just hope the script was done right and we didn't get

"2, move to tree at 9'oclock!"

"All, get in Jeep!"

"Move to, Romeo Foxtrot 5 7!"

"5, is down!"

"5, is down!"

"Repeat, 5, is down!"

"5, is down!"

"Repeat, 5, is down!"

"5, is down!"

"5, is down!"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Aug. 24 2002,17:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd love to see a 'fictional conflict' sort of thing based on the  Soviet/American animosity of the cold war.  I would however want to see it as a coproduction, so it's less a 'goodguy/badguy' thing and more a study of conflicting ideology.  

But with action and explosions. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ever seen The Hunt For Red October? That was all about the cold war, and was totally involving, at least i thought so.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ Aug. 25 2002,05:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ever seen The Hunt For Red October? That was all about the cold war, and was totally involving, at least i thought so.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah..but it's about subs. I am not much of a sub guy.

I would love to see a good mini series on TV based on Red Storm Rising. It would need to be a mini series because you couldnt do that book in a two hour movie.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Aug. 25 2002,05:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would love to see a good mini series on TV based on Red Storm Rising.  It would need to be a mini series because you couldnt do that book in a two hour movie.<span id='postcolor'>

you obviously don't know about Hollywood. tounge.gif

They could do it in an hour and thirty minutes. We all saw "The Sum of All Fears" didn't we. Though I do think that some part of RSR are unnesscary and some of the sub plot are completely pointless.

A movie or a miniseries based on Red Storm Rising wouldn't be too bad (at least I'd definitely go and see it). Of course, Clancy's penetrating "insights" into the depths of the Russian soul never fail to amuse me, as a Russian wink.gif - IMO the whole premise for the war in RSR is quite ridiculous. However, it'll never be done for the following reasons:

1) If done properly (i.e. faithful to the book) the movie/miniseries will never generate enough revenues for the producers because nobody will go and see it. If done Hollywood-style, it'll be unwatchable to me wink.gif

2) It'll cost an arm and a leg if done properly. I mean BoB with its 10 tanks and infantry combat only (and not too much combat in the end) cost over USD 100 mil. Now imagine the cost of just one scene of a Soviet guards armored regiment attacking a NATO defensive position, with a mother load of artillery plus air/chopper support on both sides. Of course you could film it in Ukraine on the cheap, but you never know if they're going to drop a REAL BM-21 barrage on the filming crew. wink.gif

3) RSR would go agaist the current Hollywood ethos - which mostly describes the Russians as casually selling nuclear weapons to anybady who'd want them on a daily basis or Russian "separatists" doing something nasty like kindapping the US President. They are, however, no longer the main "bad guys" since the demise of the USSR. So re-introducing the Russians as the "probable enemy" will shift the Archie Bunker's righteous anger away from the current bad boys like Osama and Saddam, and that just cannot do. wink.gif

So unless some very rich (and slightly mad wink.gif ) person will finance the production, it won't happen. Damn.   confused.gif