Sign in to follow this  
zeep

Plans for a new/updated SOUND ENGINE in ARMA3??

Taumargin I belive it is both of those.

:cool:Then I look forward with baited breath to this being used in Arma 3.

The MK-20 sounds like a beefed up M-16 from Arma 2, which doesn't really sound like a gunshot really. I agree with you. But the MK-20 is not the Bren. The Bren is the CZ-805 Assault rifle with variants. The MK-20 is the FN-2000 or FS-2000... cant remember which.

FS is the civillian version where fully automatic is disabled. In Arma we have military version FN2000 :D

FS is the civillian version where fully automatic is disabled. In Arma we have military version FN2000 :D

Aye, i see.

Oh, wait a sec. It's not FN2000, thats just a common mistake. :D

It's model name is actually F2000 but it's made by FN.

the MK-20 is not the Bren. The Bren is the CZ-805 Assault rifle with variants. The MK-20 is the FN-2000 or FS-2000... cant remember which.

No, what I said was that the Mk20 sound is the same sound used for the Bren in ACR DLC in Arma 2.

Mk20

Obviously the Mk20 sounds alot better, it's had reverb and stuff added, but I think it's the same base sound.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

No, what I said was that the Mk20 sound is the same sound used for the Bren in ACR DLC in Arma 2.

Mk20

Obviously the Mk20 sounds alot better, it's had reverb and stuff added, but I think it's the same base sound.

Oh yeahh. I remember now. Wow.

Mk20

No way, are you kidding me? Jesus, so even some of the weapon sounds are just recycled from Arma 2 DLC...

No way, are you kidding me? Jesus, so even some of the weapon sounds are just recycled from Arma 2 DLC...

And that became a problem only when you realized it?

And that became a problem only when you realized it?

Well yes, I wasn't too fond of that particular gun sound to begin with (sounds very dry and lacking in detail, not that I'm an expert). Now knowing the reason why makes me even more angry.

Plus, it shows a lack of originality. With a new game you would expect new weapon sounds at the least.

Edited by Goodson

Well yes, I wasn't too fond of that particular gun sound to begin with (sounds very dry and lacking in detail, not that I'm an expert). Now knowing the reason why makes me even more angry.

Plus, it shows a lack of originality. With a new game you would expect new weapon sounds at the least.

I kind of like the MK20, a lot better than say Katiba or MX IMO, not to mention how much it's really improved over the Bren.

Recycling assets like this isn't that bad me thinks, especially when they are significantly improved.

I guess ignorance really is bliss.

Yeah it's not a huge deal, I guess they used it because it was one of the few actual recorded gun sounds they had to hand, and they did improve it at least.

Maybe I should implement a secondary sound engine layered on top of the game to handle certain sounds and effect processing. Anything is possible and I can do it :)

Maybe I should implement a secondary sound engine layered on top of the game to handle certain sounds and effect processing. Anything is possible and I can do it :)

No need, there is already someone doing this. Or well, you can if you want of course, but... Anyway, basically he is adding in processing effects for Audio, such as echo, pop delay, and reverb. The thing is though, no new sounds are added, or needed. It's simply processing. This means it adds quality to existing sounds. And it works, really, REALLY well. It's like... what arma is missing almost, its as if he's adding what Arma 3 should have come out of the box with. You can find his progress here.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?178731-Laxemann-s-quot-Enhanced-Soundscape-quot-(L_ES)-Gun-reverb-and-echo-based-on-terrain

If BIS simply added in terrain effects just like this with realism in mind, we could end up with a sound engine, and over all sound output that we could not complain about. Well, other than base sounds. But there are sound mods for those, ranging on realism, but still, it would be a great idea if BIS updated to some more realistic sounds, too.