Sign in to follow this  
ZeroG

ZGM Arma 3 Terrain Editing Suite

Hi!

One month after the release of the full version of Arma3, I am finally finished with a terrain editing suite that will help to create maps until new development tools will be available.

Even after release (assuming it will be an updated version of Visitor), the usage of a 3D ingame editor will be crucial in creating beautiful maps fast and without frustration...

What is in this package:

- 895 Visitor 3 templates containing Arma 3 terrain objects

- Editor Addon to make the (hidden) terrain objects placeable in 2D/3D Editor

- Custom Import Objects Script for Visitor 3 which automatically corrects the floating/submerge bug of most terrain objects

- World Tools templates

- Roadpainting source files for Global Mapper

- Ready to use example missions and a batchfile to easily access ingame 3D-Editor plus a tool which converts the 3D editor output format *.biedi to Visitor 3 importable *.csv

- a manual on how to use all these tools (basic terrain editing knowledge necessary)

Known Bugs/ToDoList in V1:

• Placing (big) objects on slopes might look odd at certain spots – so if you feel you have to improve the script, just open it and adjust the height values that are added/subtracted.

• Pier elements and big rocks import height might have to be adjusted in certain cases, because their placement doesn’t 100% match the heightlevel displayed in 3D editor afterwards ingame. It is quite hard to determine where the actual waterline is

supposed to be (and what value to add) when placing these huge models (30m+ height!). My advice for now: manually re-adjust height in Visitor or try-and-error with the values inside the import scripts.

• Pictures and correct measurements for all World Tools Templates

• Due to the use of placeholders, buildings are not yet correctly represented on in game map

Credits:

Benny for his patience and scripts

Bad Benson and M1ilkm8n for their initial ideas

GranQ for supporting me in various occasions

DOWNLOAD

?di=1413817797650

3D-Editor view

?di=713817798263

Ingame view

Well done ZeroG!!

This looks awesome!!

You've really worked hard to promote the use of the 3D Editor - despite some of its (current) shortcomings. I totally agree that, regardless of whatever goodies we finally get on the Visitor front, for the actual composition of little scenes and areas and even vb edit-style "presets" there's nothing to beat working in a proper 3D environment... I'm hopeful scripted tools running in the 3D editor is going to be the Way Forward for future development... things like a "Homer's road tool", but for fences... things like that...

Congratulations again and thanks for taking the time to assemble what looks like a complete basic solution to a lot of the current woes!

B

Fantastic! Thank you for all the hard work you put forth here! Just amazing!!

ZeroG,Thank you for your offer, great work, learn from you,Although the use of Google translation, many are not very accurate, I will always continue to learn.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==============================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks guys :)

I found a small mistake regarding the bridges: they don't have to be adjusted, they are getting exported to the game just fine with correct relative height. So you might wanna go into ZGM Import Objects for Arma 3.vis to line 547 in and change it to the following:

case "bridge_01_f": {_zP = _zP -  0};
case "bridge_01_pathlod_f": {_zP = _zP - 0};
case "bridge_asphalt_f": {_zP = _zP -  0};
case "bridge_asphalt_pathlod_f": {_zP = _zP - 0};
case "bridge_concrete_f": {_zP = _zP -  0};
case "bridge_concrete_pathlod_f": {_zP = _zP -  0};
case "bridge_highway_f": {_zP = _zP -  0};
case "bridge_highway_pathlod_f": {_zP = _zP -  0};

Not sure if it is just me but the Building Add-ons & Garage are all sitting at there highest point after Import, they are correct in the 3d Editor but after import they seem to sit wrong , also the garage & Bar Gate move a little way to the left each time as well which is very strange.

Not sure if it is just me but the Building Add-ons & Garage are all sitting at there highest point after Import, they are correct in the 3d Editor but after import they seem to sit wrong , also the garage & Bar Gate move a little way to the left each time as well which is very strange.

Orly? Well, I checked all objects ingame...for these even double, as they have been already present in Beta release of the templates. I never noted a deviation of any object to the side at all...up and down of course, but to the side ? In 3d editor, all objects show up correctly..cant tell in which process V3 adds the offset.

Depending on whereabouts on the actual final terrain project these objects were placed - this might be an example of the "floating point error" which I believe was present in Arma 1 RTE's and the A2 3D editor as well... Or, at least - it's an error which frequently appears somewhere between the 3D editor and Visitor...

If the bottom-left corner of the terrain is the 0,0 origin point, then basically, as you get further and further away from that corner, higher and higher numbers are required to represent the X,Y position of an object. In addition, to place objects precisely we want those numbers to have a high degree of precision...

It seems there can be an issue with representing numbers which are high AND require high precision.

eg: a coordinate near the origin point might be "12.3456" - 4 decimal points of precision... pretty accurate... but a coordinate further away might end up as "12345.6" - which would translate in buldozer to a shift sideways...

The further from the 0,0 point, the more pronounced this effect can be - though it should really only be noticeable on pretty big maps, or if you're placing stuff in the top right corner to nanodegrees of precision...

I'm afraid I can't remember immediately where I last saw discussion about this issue... I remember Mondkalb mentioning it in a 3D editor export/import context... And I also remember a conversation with Jakerod once about misbehaving sidewalk pieces - which he WAS placing to his usual nanoprecision degree, and they were mysteriously moving out of place..

Anyway - this might be nothing to do with the problem above - especially since they're all examples from previous engines, but if the objects in question are being placed at the Far Side of a Very big map then I guess it's a possibility....

B

Message from Arma 3 "cannot load texture zgm_viso_editorobjects_a3\tree.paa" when I start the game normally

help pls

Muggi I think you can add the UI.pbo and UIFonts.pbo from Arma 2 into the 3D editor mod\addon folder, if you have Arma2. That will expand the UI. Alternatively it may come with A3MP?

@God-Father: I think we basically just need to get the object names in TB to be as they are in V3 with ZeroG's object templates, and then we should be ready to import it. Wonder if we can just import that with TB, dunno. Haven't tried yet.

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:47 ----------

Yes seems like that's the case. Hmm could ZeroG (or someone else) be able to change his VisitorTemplates.pew to a format, TB can read?

Create a new template library in TB. For my suite, I used the exact class names as they can be found in the directories.

By doing that, you should be able to import your objects 1:1

And if it's A2 objects from ZeroG's other Terrain Suite for Arma 2, we should rename then to the normal A2 template names (file name without .p3d I think) before importing to TB.

Right now I have eg.

"00_trees_00_t_picea2s";10681.011;7167.149;0;316.000;

I must rename that to "t_picea2s".