Sign in to follow this  
Coflash

How to get the most out of ARMA 3 singleplayer?

Hello

I've played Operation Flashpoint/ARMA since the beginning and I've never really been into the MP side of it. The performance is never great and I hate it when people are hell bent on going off by themselves.

As there's no campaign, what are you guys doing in SP to get the most out of your game until one is released?

I can create basic missions but it's a bit boring as I know how they all work. I've tried a LOT of single player missions from ARMAholic + the Steam workshop but many of them are average. What I like most are mods/missions like 'A Whole Lotta Stratis/Altis', but they tend to start off where my frame rate is fine and after an hour or so I'm in the single digits (running GTX780s in SLI I might add...). The best part about them is they use the entire map and you can build/defend bases, it's great. It'd be nice if something official were made in the same sort of way.

Anyway, are there any missions that are similar? I saw the dynamic battlefield one but it didn't seem very polished the last I played.

TL;DR: Are there any really big SP missions or mods I can sink hours/days/weeks/months into?

What I like to do is make a heavily randomised mission. Even your own team, if you make a "sensible" spread of abilities (AT, AA, machinegunner, medic etc) but then only give each of them a 75% chance of existing, straight away you need to alter your approaches depending on what you got per mission restart.

Do the same for the enemy, and you've immediately got situations that play out differently every time. Randomise spawn areas, randomise waypoints. Randomise weather, fog etc. Use DAC. Pretty soon you'll have a few missions that, although ostensibly the same, make for different gameplay each time.

Give yourself some arbitrary goal, like the calling in of artillery on an enemy encampment that is randomly placed so you need to look for it. Give yourself an arbitrary "safe" area so that when you get back there after successful/unsuccessful completion, you know when to end.

And most important of all - how you fail a mission is at least as entertaining as how you complete a mission :) when things go FUBAR (which they will a lot) then getting to your "safe" place alive becomes the mission.

Edited by DMarkwick

While I wait I'm creating my own SP campaign, feel free to try it if you fancy ( link on my signature ).

Given the lack of campaign you have only the mission editor left. That's it. If you are completely new to the game this is not even an option then, but since you are playing since OFP then you should be familiar with the editor to create your own missions. There's not much to do apart from playing user missions in case the editor doesn't cut it for you.

You will have to wait until BIS is releasing their campaign which should be published shortly AFAIK.

cheers

While I wait I'm creating my own SP campaign, feel free to try it if you fancy ( link on my signature ).

Will do, thanks

Given the lack of campaign you have only the mission editor left. That's it. If you are completely new to the game this is not even an option then, but since you are playing since OFP then you should be familiar with the editor to create your own missions

Since the alpha was released up until this day, I have spent 102hrs in single player doing exactly that + playing whatever other good missions I can find. There's only so much you can play until the good stuff runs dry :/ At least with campaigns you can play them differently a couple of times before they get really boring.

I really hope there will be more randomly generated campaigns/large missions.

There's a single player?

Yeah... it's that other mode that isn't hampered by performance and doesn't get ruined by people obsessed with kill/death ratios...

Edited by Coflash

There is also DUWS, very dynamic and will set you up for many weeks. I also had problems with fps hours into to mission but found a cleanup script version that helped with that. You can find them in the user mission forum

There is also DUWS, very dynamic and will set you up for many weeks. I also had problems with fps hours into to mission but found a cleanup script version that helped with that. You can find them in the user mission forum

Can you link me to the one you're using or post the name of it? I took a look but couldn't see what you were referring to

Yeah... it's that other mode that isn't hampered by performance and doesn't get ruined by people obsessed with kill/death ratios...

What? I have never met an Arma player who cared about a kill death ratio. But then again I don't play wasteland very often.

From what I am learning, there are a few ways that you can make a mission with random events/locations etc, so even if you make them yourself, you wont know exactly what is going to happen. Plus, there is always DUWS (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.bistudio.com%2Fshowthread.php%3F160117-SP-Dynamic-Universal-War-System-(http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21816)

Have you tried playing with mods? They can change the game a fair bit!

Lately I've been spending quite a bit of time playing around in the editor with Shay_Gman's MCC Sandbox addon, I don't know what I would do without it now.

I can basically just leave the editor behind and throw together my own amusing scenarios in-game now, and the implementation of the 3D editor takes the stress and guess work out of object/unit placement.

Go out and get it now if you don't already have it!

What? I have never met an Arma player who cared about a kill death ratio. But then again I don't play wasteland very often.

You're lucky -_-

Which brings me to another point; Wasteland/DayZ like crap flooding the server list, it's rare I can get any of the older game types, rarer still that I live in Australia. Anyway, I won't be going back to MP any time soon.

You should also check out Blackhole from DragonZen. You can set every freaking option at your own likings. Search "Blackhole" in the workshop and you'll find it. There is an Altis and a Stratis version.

Try out some Mods: I strongly suggest TPW + WW AI Cover to start.

Yay!

LOL yeah Wasteland being the main attraction, but seriously he has a point, because all these dayz and wasteland players are playing the domination and invade and annex servers too, and they are a huge mood killer! I guess A2 is becomming too "OLD" for their taste, and wasteland stratis is getting boring since wasteland ALTIS is just too boring and spread out lol. But yeah, nothing more annoying than gungho crazed players who are out to just kill shit... How many times have I been playing with guys, and on first sight of enemy they just open up, without informing the sqaud where the contact is, because the idiot just wanted the kill. And the virtual ammo box? OMG, the all in one sniper/AT/medic/pilot/demo/squad leaders also, just really... -sigh- I will end my rant here.

CoFlash, your best bet is to just join a realism unit for a pure ARMA mp experience, thats what i ended up doing. Most realism units are pretty strict, and theres a fairly involved selection and training session that goes with it to weed out these junkies. I too am fairly new to the MP scene, playing arma online for about a year now, though been playing solo since OFP. and I still am primarily a solo player, so I'm with you on the campaign. Waiting patiently, and also playing user made missions, and fiddling with the editor myself.