Sign in to follow this  
thdman1511

What is the easiest way to create cutscenes, and how to you create them.

I am wanting to try something new, well for me it new, I want to use cutscenes as intro to my next mission, but I lack the knowledge to do so, so firstly how do you create cutscenes and what is the easiest way to do so. What I want to do is show and intro/cutscene showing a village on Altis being overtaken by enemy forces, where villagers are seen running out of the town. Then have cutscene engage, when enemy forces take another village/city etc, But I would like to know how to make these cutscenes. Any Assistance will be much appreciated.

I would like to know this as well. This has always baffled me. i think it has something to do with the [into,outro] tabs......

Do a youtube search for camera.sqs / camera scripting

Will this method, mentioned Larrow, work in Arma 3. As it seems simple enough, but I know some coding has been changed.

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

I have been following keefygorges tutorial, however where did the camera.sqs file come from that he uses, and how do we get the coordinates to paste in the file, for Arma 3 as the LCtrl + esc doesnt work in the splendid camera, and not know where the camera.sqs file came from make it a little harder to do.

Heres the same thing by

(exactly the same process).

Dont use splendid cam it does not give you the same output, camera.sqs is a script that comes in the A3 files.

too bad Splendid Cam doesn't fit for making cutscenes (not so splendid after all...).

forcing tilted cam animated as in screenshots would look great. setVectorDirandUp doesn't work for cams.

If you don't do that already try to use:

[] call BIS_fnc_cameraOld;

instead of

player exec "camera.sqs";

And try to use .sqf files for your camscripts, not .sqs.

There's also a good tutorial downloadable here, but sadly it's just the german version. They used to have an english one but the donwload link seems to be broken. :j:

ok, just another question, how to you change from Mission to Intro As the intro parts of the editor have not been enable. or do you just place the units down and run the camera.sqs; and not worry about changing to intro in the editor for Arma 3.

Uhm, what do you mean by not enable? You can just switch between Mission/Intro/Outro - Win/Outro - Lose with the lowest four buttons on the left side in the editor.

How do you use them, as the tool tip all say the same thing, As I not sure whether I am in intro or mission when I try to use them.

You just click the intro button. Place some units and then mess around with BIS_fnc_cameraOld, like in the tutorials. Everything that happens in the intro section will be shown prior to the mission and everything in the outro section will be shown after the mission, depending on the mission result (Win/Lose).

ok I have been able to do a little cutscene, the scene show a Gorgan waiting for a hunter to come into view, and when it does the gorgan fires at it well that is what I am trying to do.

However I cannot get the gorgan to fire at it. I am using a trigger. The hunter is named Hunt1 and the Gorgan is named Gorg. I am using the fireAtTarget command.

In the triggers Condition:this On Activation: _attack = Gorg fireAtTarget [Hunt1,"autocannon_30mm_CTWS"]; Should the Hunt1 be in quotation marks. I linked the trigger to the Gorgan. Would appreciated some help with this.

If you don't do that already try to use:
[] call BIS_fnc_cameraOld;

instead of

player exec "camera.sqs";

And try to use .sqf files for your camscripts, not .sqs.

There's also a good tutorial downloadable here, but sadly it's just the german version. They used to have an english one but the donwload link seems to be broken. :j:

Whats actually the difference of the camera.sqs and the new one?

There is a hint saying "use the new one, dumbass!" when you try to use the old way. :cool:

No, from what i see it's just a port from .sqs to .sqf, the functionality seems untouched. At least it works the same way.

Ok, I managed to do a small cutscene, and I have a better understanding of intros, I have watched a few youtube videos, and have had trouble switching from intro to mission.

Many youtube videos have said to said up a end#1 trigger, and in the script enter end1=true; before the exit;. My understanding of this, is that is sets the trigger end#1 condition to true and the intro should end and then go into the mission. Unfortunately that doesnt happen for me.

this is a sample of my intro script.

showCinemaBorder False;
//sets up camera
titlecut [" ","BLACK IN",1]
_camera = "camera" camcreate [0,0,0]
_camera cameraeffect ["internal", "back"]

//set cam on Gorgan
_camera camPrepareTarget [68281.72,93651.80,-1911.89];
_camera camPreparePos [11366.13,11451.51,5.95];
_camera camPrepareFOV 0.070;
_camera camCommitPrepared 0

//set up a timer of 90 seconds

~90

//Destroys the camera
_camera cameraeffect ["terminate","back"]
camdestroy _camera
end1=true;
exit;

Obviously I have done something wrong, but I am not sure.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Try to use SQF-files instead of SQS, it is deprecated since Arma 2. Here's a sample from one of my cutscenes to show you how a camscript in sqf could look like:

// Create camera
_camera = "camera" camcreate position player;
_camera cameraeffect ["internal", "back"];

// set cam to first position
_camera camPrepareTarget [-85900.03,-31138.46,5.54];
_camera camPreparePos [3553.11,13560.22,1.63];
_camera camPrepareFOV 0.700;
_camera camCommitPrepared 0;

// show some text
titleText ["Some text... blah blah blah", "PLAIN"];
sleep 5;

// do a little tracking shot
_camera camPrepareTarget [-96166.78,6091.46,5.54];
_camera camPreparePos [3553.85,13561.07,1.53];
_camera camCommitPrepared 9; // time the shot takes from start to end position
waitUntil{camCommitted _camera}; // wait for cam to finish tracking shot

sleep 3;

_camera camPrepareTarget [96148.66,-24207.27,5.54];
_camera camPreparePos [3555.06,13559.97,1.59];
_camera camCommitPrepared 0;

// black out slowly
0 cutText ["", "BLACK OUT", 5];
sleep 5;
endMission "END1"; // end mission

As you can see in the last line i use

endMission "END1";

to end my intro and let the game proceed to the actual mission. This should work with SQS too but if you use SQF as recommended you can just leave the last three lines and use

["END1", false, 5] call BIS_fnc_endMission;

instead.

So if I use the endMission command at the end of my intro script then I should end up at the start of my mission.

Yes, that should work if your intro takes place in the intro-section of you mission. ;)

Thankyou IndeedPete you guideance has help alot however, when I use the BIS_fnc_endMission coding in my script if would fade to the start of the mission, however when I exported to Single Player it went straight to mission Loading screen with out any fade out.

My script now look like this:

showCinemaBorder False;
//sets up camera

//set cam on Gorgan

~90

Have I placed the coding incorrectly or is it a hiccup with Arma 3 update 1.4

Thankyou IndeedPete you guideance has help alot however, when I use the BIS_fnc_endMission coding in my script if would fade to the start of the mission, however when I exported to Single Player it went straight to mission Loading screen with out any fade out.

My script now look like this:

showCinemaBorder False;
//sets up camera

//set cam on Gorgan

~90

Have I placed the coding incorrectly or is it a hiccup with Arma 3 update 1.4

You do realize that your calling a failed end mission at the end of your script........

Try this

"END1" call BIS_fnc_endMission;

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_endMission

I didnt realise that, thanks for letting me know. What I am looking at is fading scene out, to mission load screen.

I didnt realise that, thanks for letting me know. What I am looking at is fading scene out, to mission load screen.

Ok try to title cut out after your sleep delay, then use regular endMission:

~90

titlecut ["","BLACK OUT",5]

"END1" call BIS_fnc_endMission;

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

I can't post new threads, why is this?

I had this same problem, it kept saying my message wasn't long enough "needs 5 or more characters"..... Never did figure it out. If you do let us know

Well after experimenting, I seem to get mixed results. Sometime I get a fadeout to Mission, other times it cuts straight to mission. I have been having some issues with changing scenes. Should I be destroying the cam then moving on to the next scene, the re-create the cam or should I just move the cam into position.

My first scene is of a gorgan attacking a hunter, when the hunter is destroyed, I want the scene to change to an AH-9 Pawnee attacking the gorgan.

I tried at first to move the cam view behind the pawnee, but due to the pawnee moving away before I could set the camera in place so I didnt get what I was looking for.

I then moved the camera object behind the pawnee, but that didnt work too well either. Any advise on the best way to proceed with this, I tried doing it similar to Keefygearge tutorial with no luck. Maybe when I work it out I produce a tutorial that includes getting the member to put it together as well. So any advise would be much appreciated.