Sign in to follow this  
zachgibson22

Zachgibson22's parts to making your own M4 in 3ds Max!

CLICK THIS FOR AN IMAGE OF WHAT IM GOING TO TALK ABOUT!!!

http://zachgibson22.deviantart.com/art/M4-Custom-Banner-407118090?ga_submit_new=10%253A1381712653

The idea is that I will be making many different pieces and parts to an M4 rifle in 3ds max. From there you can mix and match the parts to make your own M4!

This will be done by putting different sections of the gun(stock, barrel, rails, ect) into different layers. From there you will hide and reveal different parts of the gun therefore making any combo you can think of with the parts provided!

Think of it kind of as a Borderlands weapon! The choice is yours to make a short and stubby, or a ranged rifle.

There will be more to come too such as:

-Skeleton stock, Various adjustable stocks

-Different hand gurads and Rail configurations

-Rail covers

-Different front grips

-Sight types

-And other things that any of you would like to see!!!

----I will NOT be making optics or side rail attachments because this supposed to be used for Arma 3 or any other game in which you will already have attachments made ingame----

Soon I will be posting a link to my dropbox here for all to use! In the mean time feel free to PM me!

**This will be an alpha version

What does that mean?

Not everything is UV mapped and has texture OR is completely finished being modeled (Cause I want to use it too :P)

***IMPORTANTANT***

If any piece of the weapon is used and distributed in ANY way, then you MUST give me credit and let me know how and where! Is that so hard? I made all of this for YOU, it's the least you could do for me right?

You can do this simply by putting a read me in the file folder you release. Then if you could, it would be awesome if you could email me^ or PM me where I can get the fie myself :)

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3yfrjoiyqud3qor/QRW60KTxXT

Whats in the link?

The MAX file for 3ds max

Changelong

READ ME on usage

HOW TO USE //A basic tutorial

The link for the one with textures will be up later because the file size is so big. Mostly because they are currently all Photoshop files

^Email:zachgibson22

^Steam: zachgibson222 (may show up as "The Negotiator")

Edited by zachgibson22

This looks like a great idea zach, this and your custom weapons tutorial are a great help for modelling noobs like myself :p

looking forward for this

Personally I think its fair if you make the UV texturing portion also, most of the post I see here are about UV'ing models after they are modeled.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

=================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Personally I think its fair if you make the UV texturing portion also, most of the post I see here are about UV'ing models after they are modeled.

I will be UV unwrapping the models! Some of them are already done it just takes time and since I'm not amazing at it it takes even longer hah. Maybe I'll even release texture packs if people need them or want them.

Also if anyone has suggestions for different kinds of parts let me know! Send me, Or post, images and link of what you want to see.

Until then I will be uv mapping what I have, then be adding more!

Tried opening it up in 3ds max and it just says File open failed.

DAMN! Give me a sec!

Hmm. I just download the file 2 different was and they both seemed to have worked. What version of MAX are you using? I am using 2012.

Anybody else having issues?

Edited by zachgibson22

Hmm maybe that's it man :((( I'll try and find another way for you! The most I can do right now is export it all to OBJ and have you import it. I don't know if it will save the layers and stuff but that's all I got right now.

ya Im also looking to get a newer version of 3ds max

---------- Post added at 00:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

Got the new version of 3ds, opened and played around with the model a bit. I found a small problem on the model that I thought I may have created by playing with it, but after reloading the original version the area is still there. Ill post a picture underneath

http://i.imgur.com/374ciXu.png (681 kB)

After I put the image into the post I went back and looked and fixed the area, The reason there was a jot was a set of vertex were pushed back into the model, heres what it looks like fixed, you can probably do better than I can.

IDF24Ob.jpg

Edited by mumblz

So...any chance of an OBJ export for us non-autodesk product users. I'd really hate to pirate their software to convert this....

I dont know if this will get deleted because I'am not the mod owner, but I know I had trouble getting this to open in the beginning so I know your pain heres a link to the M4 in .obj

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkq0rm1t44v76mw/m4.rar

Hope its ok that I did this Gibson

Yeah that's fine mumblz. Ill upload the obj version tomorrow