progamer

PhysX Discussion (dev branch)

Even tanks? They handle so poorly in Arma3 its not funny. They can't even drive straight! Tracked vehicle physics in Arma2 OA are still magnitudes better than Arma3's Physx, which feel like a rushed after thought to me at the moment. Take the M1 Tank in Arma2 OA and drive it for 15 minutes and then go and drive the Slammer, t100 or the Kuma. There is no comparison. Arma3 feels like a tech demo or early access.

The wheeled vehicles are not as bad, but a lot of them also have very poor transmission/engine/suspension simulation etc etc.. most feel like place holders we have been using for 1 year since official release! The Strider is a good example, drive this down a road and swerve left and right...the resulting physics behaviour is not from any world I am familiar with.

Probably the best vehicle in the game over all is the Gorgon, for me.

But, tracked vehicles are the worst offenders and need some serious attention for some one at BIS who has some interest and passion in setting these beautiful vehicles up properly. That's what feels missing.

As far as I know physx deals with wheeled vehicles.Tracks are different universe.

i even wonder why they use this physx stuff, the feeling/handling of vehicles feels much worse than in arma2

Couldn't disagree more. Strap in to a civilian car and go drive a km offroad in Arma 2 -see ya in 3 hours! The feeling of speed, handling, actually being able to drive off a cliff and worry about crashes are leagues better than Arma2. Now if they only had better damage modeling...

What i really missing is the possibility of burnout. I think that some settings for disabling the auto clutch would be good.

Even if it is not the effective way to start i would feel better the car power.

As far as I know physx deals with wheeled vehicles.Tracks are different universe.

No you are wrong there. Tanks are also handled by physx (but they are approximated... as tanks with wheels instead of actual tracks). Their problems dont come from this fact though, but through some physically incorrect/incomplete mechanics in physx (the clutch!), and through the arma controll scheme, which is not really suited to the tank physx.

Couldn't disagree more. Strap in to a civilian car and go drive a km offroad in Arma 2 -see ya in 3 hours!

Cars feel good because physx was basically designed and tested for roadcars. Arma is basically the first big game with physx tanks and heavy vehicles where you can go offroad, climb hills and drive over obstacles. Planetside 2 also uses physx vehicles, but the terrain is flat, the vehicles have no torque or real suspension etc - you bump of every stone.

What i really missing is the possibility of burnout.

seriously? ... no comment...

Edited by Fennek

No you are wrong there. Tanks are also handled by physx (but they are approximated... as tanks with wheels instead of actual tracks). Their problems dont come from this fact though, but through some physically incorrect/incomplete mechanics in physx (the clutch!), and through the arma controll scheme, which is not really suited to the tank physx.

Cars feel good because physx was basically designed and tested for roadcars. Arma is basically the first big game with physx tanks and heavy vehicles where you can go offroad, climb hills and drive over obstacles. Planetside 2 also uses physx vehicles, but the terrain is flat, the vehicles have no torque or real suspension etc - you bump of every stone.

seriously? ... no comment...

Argh I conveyed my opinion poorly above.Yes I know all about fake gears and wheels in tracks and problems.The thing that is problematic is that Physx wasn't

meant to be used for tracks - but wheeled vehicles.And even there if we delve into gearbox there are some glaring problems from nvidia side.

With different universe I meant it should use different technique to steer tracks not physX wheels.

Exactly as you stated!

No i dont think the many wheels (instead of tracks) are the problem. They are only visually not really correct when driving over pointy obstacles, but show me one single game that has simulated track physics. They all use wheels and have the tracks just optical... for a reason, because real track simulation is very expensive (calculation wise).

Just the controlls and the clutch are main problem. And very likely the friction because BIS tampered with it big time to the point where its unrealistic. Some Tanks and Wheeled Vehicles can climb up a 60° slope if their engine can handle it (you read that right, 60°, not 60% which would be 31°), and if their geometry doesnt collide with the slope and prevents climbing...

MBT after the physx update (first 5min of testing):

-occasionally they refuse driving backwards and slightly roll forward instead

-occasionally the tank turning glitches out as if there a huge turn force and you are on ice/no turning resistance...

-autobreaking from 10kph to 0 in ca. 1mm distance, issue became more extreme. Makes the camera jump forward and looks silly, doesnt allow slow/carefull rolling of vehicle. Autobreaking should be at lower speed (5kph) and brake should use a ramp, instead of an instant jump to full break power.

-as soon as part of your track(/wheels) leave the ground and get contact again the wheels are stopped, which can make you roll over fairly quickly when driving down a hill

Why did you wait the release? It has been in RC since monday. :)

because my time is short lately ... am i the only one who gets into mbt's and drives around :confused:

Why did you wait the release? It has been in RC since monday. :)

Why did BIS update Physx and not bother checking any of their tanks...for 5 minutes?

Honestly that report by Fennek is just depressing.

MBT after the physx update (first 5min of testing):

-occasionally they refuse driving backwards and slightly roll forward instead

-occasionally the tank turning glitches out as if there a huge turn force and you are on ice/no turning resistance...

-autobreaking from 10kph to 0 in ca. 1mm distance, issue became more extreme. Makes the camera jump forward and looks silly, doesnt allow slow/carefull rolling of vehicle. Autobreaking should be at lower speed (5kph) and brake should use a ramp, instead of an instant jump to full break power.

-as soon as part of your track(/wheels) leave the ground and get contact again the wheels are stopped, which can make you roll over fairly quickly when driving down a hill

Dam. The auto stopping on low speed was already annoying and now it's even more sensitive :/

Why did BIS update Physx and not bother checking any of their tanks...for 5 minutes?

Honestly that report by Fennek is just depressing.

because the changes NVIDIA done were deeper than 'expected' ... we will try fix it as soon as possible

please remember to create good Feedback Tracker tickets about those issue , with repro, description or videos

thanks in advance

because my time is short lately ... am i the only one who gets into mbt's and drives around :confused:

The complete lack of interior makes it kind of boring... so I think the answer to that is yes.

The complete lack of interior makes it kind of boring... so I think the answer to that is yes.

Kinda true. Other tracked vehicles too, BTR-K for example, inherit same behavior. I havn't drove one since i got fed up with the instant stopping after going over a 1 degree change in surface angle. A tank should fly over any damn surface really, you can be proven it's true by watching Russian Tank demonstrations, and French Tank demonstrations. Tanks and go speedy up a decent hill, and fly over ledges and keep going the same speed without even a care. They can also stop on a dime... well, at least France's Tank can.

because the changes NVIDIA done were deeper than 'expected' ... we will try fix it as soon as possible

please remember to create good Feedback Tracker tickets about those issue , with repro, description or videos

thanks in advance

Did the internal testing team not pick this up when they got into a tank, Or did the Nvidia update come after realease?

Edited by Bigpickle

thanks in advance

There are already videos and good reports about the existing issues that tanks/vehicle/physics have for a long time now. These new problems are just problems on top of old problems...one has to wonder if there is even any point making more reports. If some one is going to fix these latest issues, they may as well just take the opportunity to sit down and fix this whole area of the game properly? Starting with the tickets that are about the bad behaviour of tracked/wheeled vehicles compared to Arma2.

Yeah, specially this is fixed...

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22220

With every "physx" update, my psyhics get hurt when i see this. :p

Can anyone reproduce from the mission uploaded here:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22479

?

I tried to reproduce using Reyhard's file in vanilla, but was unable to. I do get what appears to be the same bug with a specific combination of mods (RHS, AiATP, ALiVE), but it's not clear to me if that's the same issue.

edit: video, mission, rpt linked in this post: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?188196-tanks-sinks-after-update&p=2868968&viewfull=1#post2868968

the error is

"Matrix is not valid as physx transform!"

Edited by subunit

thanks in advance

this bug introduced in 1.38 is already reported a couple of times read : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?188196-tanks-sinks-after-update

we need a fix as soon as possible it makes all mission that use vehicles unplayable!

it creates RPT's of huge amount and then server most of time crashes

thanks in advance

Edited by maquez

twitter, failbook ? no thanks :cool:

thank you for links I will test it

Edited by maquez