progamer

PhysX Discussion (dev branch)

Tanks now takes damage from falling. Vehicles are able to successfully pass the rocks (most of the time). Overall, the situation has improved.

And this was fixed

Can AI drive in reverse when ordered to by the Player Commander yet?

Can AI drive in reverse when ordered to by the Player Commander yet?

Barely.

Barely.

Yea I just checked. Tanks are taking slight damage when dropped but wheeled vehicles are still fine.

The tank tracks are still pretty borked when driving over obstacles if not outright silly to watch/handle (bumpy, bumpy, bumpy). I will play around with the tank fall damage to see how that handles, by throwing it into a mountain at mach 2 and dropping it from 500 meters, and update the video accordingly. :3

P.S. Has anybody answered as to what would happen if you made all of the tank's wheels large enough to overlap?

The tank tracks are still pretty borked when driving over obstacles if not outright silly to watch/handle

That's the least of the tanks problem. It's only visual if you drive over obstacles very slowly. Same could be said for constant clipping of everything Character related. It's not perfect but it is not a pressing issue.

The clutch needs to be fixed , and also the broken controll system. Those 2 should be top priority. Then banana drive because it's annoying but not as problematic as the other two. If that is achieved then A3 Tank handling will be way superior to Arma 2.

To get real tank behaviour you need to properly simulate real track behaviour which is extremely complex and i haven't seen a single game that has pulled it off yet.

So unless you have a masterplan how to achieve that, expecting results that are simply not realistically achievable atm is wasting your energy.

P.S. Has anybody answered as to what would happen if you made all of the tank's wheels large enough to overlap?

1: All vehicle configs will be broken, they wouldnt move anymore

2: Wheels would interact with objects that are way before the visual wheel

3: center of rotation of physx wheel wouldnt match visual wheel center-> animation problems

________

Are there any bf3/bf4 players here? I'd be interested to see how their tank tracks behave over obstacles in a video...

Because most of the Stuff in the game seems to break in vehicle friendly ways so it doesnt look like you would have similar situations like in A3. If the stupid knee-high stone walls in A3 that are all over the place would simply break if tanks drive over them you would eliminate 90% of annoying tank-stuck situations.

Edited by Fennek

So what is happening with PhysX in game? Will there be any big improvements or??

To get real tank behaviour you need to properly simulate real track behaviour which is extremely complex and i haven't seen a single game that has pulled it off yet.

Two games that pulled it off to varying degrees were Mercenaries 2 and Steel Fury. In the former it was arcady as hell but I distinctly remember tank tracks being part of the simulation in some cases while in the latter it was much more realistic however I am struggling to find the tech demo showcasing this exact feature in a video that used to be on youtube... 15 minutes later and I still cannot find it, crap.

Might download the demo later just to try it out, push it to da limit!!!

So what is happening with PhysX in game? Will there be any big improvements or??

you need wait after the Helicopters DLC

Tanks DLC cofirmed!!!!111

I don't want to start off topic, but it would be awesome.

-proper tank track handling

-interiors

-FFV positions

-some new tanks

-interiors

-FFV positions

-some new tanks

Those would all be features, except the last one. And features are always free, as they said.

Those would all be features, except the last one. And features are always free, as they said.

Last reply for this. I think that the tank interior also could be a content. Simple UI(current one) for everyone, detailed interior for DLC owners.

You know when they plan to update physx , that doesn't automatically mean tanks DLC lol

most likely in expansion pack they will update physx - not sooner , since they want to do Marksmen /inf/ dlc related stuff now

They will update their physx library. That doesnt mean a magical fix for all the problems. I'm not sure if Nvidia recognized the clutch problem as a problem. If not-> no fix.

Edited by Fennek

What he means is that After the DLC, they can put a bit more manpower/resources on PhysX focus. the DLC is what's on high priority, until maybe a week or so after release.

I would like to see DLC tanks Arma 3.... view from inside the armored vehicles and firing system a bit different today, no problem for checkout and pay again. :icon_hm::622:

-interiors

-FFV positions

-some new tanks

FFV you say?

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-269-0240-11A%2C_Russland%2C_Panzer_mit_aufgesesssener_Infanterie.jpg

13-01-2015

EXE rev. 128850 (game)

No new launcher

Size: ~42 MB

DATA

Fixed: Missing enableEnvironment in Establishing Shot function

Fixed: Karts were easily flipped after the new PhysX libraries

Fixed: Missing sizeEx property in shortcut button

New PhysX Libraries? Does this mean we will see some of the much needed improvements and fixes that pretty much all the vehicles require?

i even wonder why they use this physx stuff, the feeling/handling of vehicles feels much worse than in arma2 also cpu only physx(i would understand if they would use the under utilized gpu but cpu only...)+crashes (other limitations: linux support, closed source), i don't understand the idea behind that...

the feeling/handling of vehicles feels much worse than in arma2

Purely subjective, because I strongly disagree.

also cpu only physx(i would understand if they would use the under utilized gpu but cpu only...)

The physics simulation in Arma 3 is really quite basic, just a few rigid bodies and ragdolls. It's nothing that would be noticeably improved by moving it to GPU.

I'd like to see the ragdoll react better to being hit, especially with the marksman Dlc coming up soon. Proper visual feedback is critical for ensuring a satisfying shooting experience. A shot might hit a soldier, temporarily incapacitate them, so they drop like a sack of potatoes. Doesn't mean they have to be dead either, they could be down dazed for a bit and then come back to their facilities and get back into the fight.

I'd like to see the ragdoll react better to being hit, especially with the marksman Dlc coming up soon. Proper visual feedback is critical for ensuring a satisfying shooting experience. A shot might hit a soldier, temporarily incapacitate them, so they drop like a sack of potatoes. Doesn't mean they have to be dead either, they could be down dazed for a bit and then come back to their facilities and get back into the fight.

I never thought about that aspect of the marksman DLC, but an improved medical system (at least up to par with Arma 2's built-in script) would be really great. It would add a whole lot to the game just by adding a simple unconscious state.

Purely subjective, because I strongly disagree.

Even tanks? They handle so poorly in Arma3 its not funny. They can't even drive straight! Tracked vehicle physics in Arma2 OA are still magnitudes better than Arma3's Physx, which feel like a rushed after thought to me at the moment. Take the M1 Tank in Arma2 OA and drive it for 15 minutes and then go and drive the Slammer, t100 or the Kuma. There is no comparison. Arma3 feels like a tech demo or early access.

The wheeled vehicles are not as bad, but a lot of them also have very poor transmission/engine/suspension simulation etc etc.. most feel like place holders we have been using for 1 year since official release! The Strider is a good example, drive this down a road and swerve left and right...the resulting physics behaviour is not from any world I am familiar with.

Probably the best vehicle in the game over all is the Gorgon, for me.

But, tracked vehicles are the worst offenders and need some serious attention for some one at BIS who has some interest and passion in setting these beautiful vehicles up properly. That's what feels missing.

Edited by -=seany=-