progamer

PhysX Discussion (dev branch)

Not physx based? Every single physics calculation in the game is done with the PhysX physics engine. It's more than just the HW accelerated APEX stuff.

Hardware acceleration of the dust and smoke wouldn't probably be worth the time to make them work. Usually there are maybe tens of smoke sprites floating around the landscape. The CPU time required to simulate them is minuscule.

Well, my understanding is that only some physics calculations are PhysX based, others are as per the old native physics engine.

In ArmA3 smoke particles are affected by choppers flying nearby - I will be really surprised if BIS didn't do it through PhysX.

Same goes for debris from explosions/bullet hits - it is definitely PhysX based.

With an engine that has PhysX3 support why would you do the above using "homebrew" methods anyway

And just imagine the potential for mods like Blastcore if there was an option for GPU PhysX particles.

You may be right I don't know, but it would surprise me if particles are PhysX based. I would like to think that, if not already, that there would be a move toward PhysX particles, at least for some situations. But I think that maybe the extensive existing particle system would be a lot of work to migrate.

Guys, have you seen this? The upcoming features of PhysX 3 which is used by A3! If only those would be implemented... :icon_rolleyes:

Guys, have you seen this? The upcoming features of PhysX 3 which is used by A3! If only those would be implemented... :icon_rolleyes:

Is this an update to the Physx software? And would Arma 3's version of Physx be updated?

It's GPU based... Meaning I doubt it will be added. It would have been so much better if Physx was a separate company and Nvidia and AMd competed over who could run it better...

Of Physx was from a separate company, I bet it would even be more optimized for CPUs.

---------- Post added at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:12 ----------

APEX on AMD?

"While it is still early to discuss exact details of the integration (since Star Citizen will be released somewhere in 2015), the plan is to have several APEX based features, such as particles, turbulence and clothing, in the game.

Since Star Citizen is based on CryEngine 3, we can expect a “PhysX SDK-less†integration, where APEX modules will work on top of CryEngine own physics system. Finally, some APEX features, such as simulated character clothing, may be available for AMD users as well, running on CPU."

If Nvidia and AMD didn't get into a fight over Physx, maybe we would have seen it optimized for both cards...

Edited by ProGamer

.... and now ? single scenes with a maximum power of the cpu / gpu ^^ you will never - this things see in this detail in a game ....^^

Hi,

is a big steerable and walkable ship like a WW2 destroyer possible, or is it too long? I#ve tested the Nimitz carrier and it's huge and walkable but not steerable. I've readed that a log could not be longer than xx meters.

@ gagagu: The difference is that Nimitz is a static object... or rather, multiple objects stitched together. While you theoretically could make a "multi-part" movable vehicle, I understand that that's a bunch more complicated than simply representing it as a static object... I'm not sure how whoever did CVN Ulyanovsk pulled that off, or what exactly Gnat did for the frigates and submarines packs. Mind you, once we get the Arma 3 version of Oxygen we'll know more, but until then we've only got Oxygen 2 PE with its existing limitations. Based on existing remarks, the max mesh size for Arma 2 models is something like 50 to 60 meters long or wide.

@gagagu my Tirpitz is drive, stear-/ and walkable but she isn't walkable if it moves :butbut:

I hope that`s the ticket converted successfully

I use same Roadway Lod`s and write in the

cut out from the init.sqf :

.....deck_dummy1 = "Tirdeck1" createvehicle getpos deckspawn; deck_dummy1 attachto [deckspawn,[0,76.5,-7]];

Is this an update to the Physx software? And would Arma 3's version of Physx be updated?

It's GPU based... Meaning I doubt it will be added. It would have been so much better if Physx was a separate company and Nvidia and AMd competed over who could run it better...

Of Physx was from a separate company, I bet it would even be more optimized for CPUs.

---------- Post added at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:12 ----------

APEX on AMD?

"While it is still early to discuss exact details of the integration (since Star Citizen will be released somewhere in 2015), the plan is to have several APEX based features, such as particles, turbulence and clothing, in the game.

Since Star Citizen is based on CryEngine 3, we can expect a “PhysX SDK-less†integration, where APEX modules will work on top of CryEngine own physics system. Finally, some APEX features, such as simulated character clothing, may be available for AMD users as well, running on CPU."

If Nvidia and AMD didn't get into a fight over Physx, maybe we would have seen it optimized for both cards...

http://physxinfo.com/news/11860/introducing-nvidia-flex-unified-gpu-physx-solver/#more-11860

"PhysXInfo.com: Is FLEX purely GPU accelerated library, or will it support CPU execution? Is it plausible to see FLEX ported to OpenCL or DirectCompute?

Miles Macklin: Right now we have a CUDA implementation and a DirectCompute implementation is planned. We are considering a CPU implementation.

I have also built FLEX for Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 64bit) and it works great, in some cases it is faster than Windows."

There is hope!

@gagagu my Tirpitz is drive, stear-/ and walkable but she isn't walkable if it moves :butbut:

I hope that`s the ticket converted successfully

I use same Roadway Lod`s and write in the

cut out from the init.sqf :

.....deck_dummy1 = "Tirdeck1" createvehicle getpos deckspawn; deck_dummy1 attachto [deckspawn,[0,76.5,-7]];

Really really great !

Thats exactly what i want to have in arma 3, only walkable by driving.

Really really great !

Thats exactly what i want to have in arma 3, only walkable by driving.

A few tickets regarding the issue are assigned. That's a good start to this goal.

For anyone wondering, before they make allusions to Assassin's Creed IV... AC4 doesn't have characters walking (at least with friction) on moving ships. :lol: Although AC4 masks that far better than both AC2 and AC3 did.

I think i u are wrong my friend, if u test it u can see that the ship is moving around on X and Y dimensions while u are boarding another ship or while u are on a heavy storm... btw there is nothing with AC4 and B.I. / ARMA3...

That would be pretty cool, Maybe even a trailer to load destroyed vehicles on to recover them back to base?

I was asking for a Physx simulation class that could be used for anything that uses a crane or working like a crane.

What mod is that?

No idea. I would message the author of that picture but I don't know how.

No idea. I would message the author of that picture but I don't know how.

Then how do you know if modders can "do it"? Looks like those models were just posed there to me. We're not seeing actual gameplay.

Then how do you know if modders can "do it"? Looks like those models were just posed there to me. We're not seeing actual gameplay.

Yes, I see your point. I suspect some sort of photo editing, but just to be sure I have sent a message to the author of the picture.

Yes, I see your point. I suspect some sort of photo editing, but just to be sure I have sent a message to the author of the picture.

The FFAA mod does exactly what you see in the picture.

The FFAA mod does exactly what you see in the picture.

Yeah, where can I download it? :rolleyes:

I just try to walk inside the chopper while the ramp was open, you can't even get inside.

If you try to set an elevation to a soldier who's inside the chopper you go through it :(

I really hope it will be similar than VBS on this case.

Edited by Papanowel