ollem

TPWCAS for A3 - AI Suppression System - suggestions/comments/ideas discussion

Please ignore v5.4.

This one should work: tpwcas_A3_v5.5

Changes version 5.5 compared to v5.3:

- update: player controlled AI should no longer change combat behaviour

- update: added simple check to verify if unit is in building to recover to standing after suppression

- change: tpwcas_minskill is no longer absolute value but a percentage of the original skill (so 0.20 means minimum value of 20% of original skill)

:mad: :mad:

Still no good: I missed a last minute change I made which causes the 'check if unit is in building' to go wrong... :butbut:

Please ignore again and do expect updated version shortly..

Ollem I gave the 5.5 version a thorough test in several mission. Didn't directly test the units suppressed in buildings, but hints, debug balls, suppression effects and no combat mode behavior to units lead by player works just fine.

However, one problem remain. I should have thought about that in the first place when I initially complained about the own team combat mode changes but when the player is lead by an AI leader you still get the combat mode changes, and then they start whispering when bullets whiz all around them and again it feels bad... Do you think it will be a good idea to expand the exception of the combat mode change to any group the player is part of, whether he leads it or not?

I've updated the v5.5 link above so anyone who already downloaded, please do again...

Link with updated v5.5: tpwcas_A3_v5.5 (April 29)

Changes version 5.5:

- update: player controlled AI should no longer change combat behaviour

- update: added simple check to verify if unit is in building to recover to standing after suppression

- change: tpwcas_minskill is no longer absolute value but a percentage of the original skill (so 0.20 means minimum value of 20% of original skill)

Ollem your inbox is full! Can't message you... :) have you noticed my feedback?

Thanks!

I have a question for anyone who can help. This is an amazing addition to Arma, and we really look forward to using it. I am however having some issues getting it to work properly. I have the script added to my mission file, and I have the line added to the init line. Everything seems to work perfectly, except that I cannot figure out how to turn off debugging. The scripts work, the AI will take cover, go prone everything seems to work. But how do I get the little red balls from appearing over their head?

Thanks for all your hard work!

Everything seems to work perfectly, except that I cannot figure out how to turn off debugging. The scripts work, the AI will take cover, go prone everything seems to work. But how do I get the little red balls from appearing over their head?

This should only be possible if you enabled debugging..

Check your 'tpwcas_init.sqf' file and look for

tpwcas_debug =

It should be 0.

Only with value 1 or 2 the debug balls etc should appear.

If you didn't change it, please download the latest version from link above (April 29th).

This one has debugging disabled by default.

If it does show value 0, I would like to know some more details.

E.g. how do you start tpwcas (command and from whoch files, etc.)

Hey Ollem,

Love the mod thanks for keeping it up to date. I just enabled LOS (tpwcas_los_enable = 1) in my mission and am getting the following error FYI:http://i.imgur.com/l1nDUzx.png (340 kB)

It's been a long time since I enabled the embedded LOS - thanks for reporting the issue - I will investigate.

Hi Ollem, firstly (though I'm sure you hear it a lot) I absolutely love this mod, and its an AI feature that is sorely missing from the Vanilla version of the game and much appreciated.

However, my only problem at the moment (and I'm unsure if its been answered, I trolled through but didn't spot anything) is that at present my team enjoy running regular Zeus sessions, but your mod is causing some problems with it. Though nothing is game breaking in any way, I find the retreating and cover seeking part of the module gets in the way of crafting scenarios. Whenever I am setting up an urban battle where my guys will be clearing buildings, I take great care in how and where I position AI firers to maximise the coordination needed to take them down. And after I've dropped six or so enemies into a house, looking out of windows, combat goes down something like this;

At first it all works in spectacular fashion, my guys commence their assault, supressing the building and the guys into the window drop down into prone and allow the assault element to move in. However, before they can get to the door to breach the building, the AI begin repositioning themselves and often end up running down the stairs and out the doors into the street, which is hugely frustrating and though my guys on the ground don't tend to mind too much, as the curator of these scenario's I find it rather annoying that my carefully positioned opposition forces run of and do their own thing. However, this feature is beautiful in more open combat as watching the enemy scatter and get behind cover really adds to the tension of the firefight.

Though I'm unsure as of yet what Bohemia will do to Zeus I was wondering if there might be a way that the retreat function can be disabled, still allowing stance change and skill degradation but just preventing AI from abandoning their positions. I apologise if in any way it sounds like I'm over criticizing your fantastic work, I absolutely adore this addon, I just thought I'd ask the question.

Also, I apologise if this has been answered before, I didn't see anything but my eyes usually aren't so sharp after a long day. Thanks again man, looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Rich.

hello Ollem, Its been a while since i have had a chance to look at tpwcas_a3. I have recently got the latest version eager to test it out on my teams server.

has the problem with Headless Client been solved?

I find the retreating and cover seeking part of the module gets in the way of crafting scenarios.

wiggie, you can disable the escape and take cover functions in TPWCAS config.

Edited by Variable

I find the retreating and cover seeking part of the module gets in the way of crafting scenarios. Whenever I am setting up an urban battle where my guys will be clearing buildings, I take great care in how and where I position AI firers to maximise the coordination needed to take them down. And after I've dropped six or so enemies into a house, looking out of windows, combat goes down something like this;

At first it all works in spectacular fashion, my guys commence their assault, supressing the building and the guys into the window drop down into prone and allow the assault element to move in. However, before they can get to the door to breach the building, the AI begin repositioning themselves and often end up running down the stairs and out the doors into the street

AI in buildings whoa re suppressed should simply drop and after a while should recover their original stance.

The 'find cover' routine should never trigger for AI in buildings, which makes me wonder if the reaction you notice is caused by TPWCAS.

Are the units you place in buildings part of a group or all individuals?

If they are part of a group the AI leader may request them to move to another position.

Please verify with Zeus or MCC 3 Editor which will show lines between group members as well as assigned waypoints.

Also please make sure you use the latest TPWCAS_A3 version, because only that version does contain the 'is-in-building-check-and-do-not-trigger-find-cover-if-so'.

---------- Post added at 07:18 ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 ----------

hello Ollem, Its been a while since i have had a chance to look at tpwcas_a3. I have recently got the latest version eager to test it out on my teams server.

has the problem with Headless Client been solved?

HC works for me with latest version

---------- Post added at 07:20 ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 ----------

Rich, you can disable the escape and take cover functions in TPWCAS config.

Right, but please note my comment above: AI which is identified to be in a building should no longer search for cover (why should they, they are already in a building anyway).

This behavior has been implemented in tpwcas_A3_v5.5 (April 29) version.

As far as I know they are all individual units, as I place them down one by one and position the each independently. However when I get home I will double check to make sure none of them are accidentally grouping together just to be sure.

However I am pretty sure they aren't as in my experience AI in groups have always been impossible to keep in defensive positions so I always deploy them on their own. I have the latest version on PlaywithSix which I believe is v5.5 but I will double check that again for you too after I finish work.

Hi Ollem, firstly let me apologize for my late reply, I had a re-enactment event to go to this weekend so I had to pack when I got back from work.

I do have the latest version and I've ensured that all of the AI are independent and not grouped and they are still up to their old tricks.

Sorry again for keeping you waiting.

deleted...

Edited by Mariodu62
Replied to bad post

[some text deleted here]

The LOS process runs at the server by default and will take care of all units (including those running at HC).

By triggering this process at both server and HC they might compete handling the same AI.

In that case better add check if unit is local to the system in 'tpwcas_los.sqf', but then LOS will no longer work for AI units local to a players system.

:-)

Edited by Ollem

Yes you are right, wrong person.

I will delete this post.

Concerning, the LOS system, yes, i used the local unit.

I've modified my reply too :)

My brain is burning with los, :).

first, error in the script :

_pos2 = _this select 1;

if(typename _pos1 == "OBJECT") then {_pos1 = getpos >
8:28:48   Error position: <_pos1 == "OBJECT") then {_pos1 = getpos >
8:28:48   Error Undefined variable in expression: _pos1
8:28:48 File A3\functions_f\geometry\fn_dirTo.sqf, line 20
8:28:48 Error in expression <_cansee > 0) exitwith  

{ 

_dirto = ([_a, _b] call bis_fnc_dirto);  
_unitdir >
8:28:48   Error position: <_a, _b] call bis_fnc_dirto);  
_unitdir >
8:28:48   Error Undefined variable in expression: _a
8:28:48 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.altis\tpwcas\tpwcas_los.sqf, line 225

there is an error in rpt, so i modified the script line 225 by :

_dirto = ([_unit, _near] call bis_fnc_dirto); 

after correction an other one appeared with _turning (not _defined) corrected like that :

_unit lookat _near; 
_turning = _unit getvariable ["tpw_los_turning", 0];
if ((_turning == 0) && ((abs _delta) > 15)) then 

and then i didn't understand why the enemy (_near) receive the order to shoot to the unit.

so i tried

//_near reveal _unit;

//_unit doWatch _near;

_unit lookat _near;

_unit doTarget _near;

_handle = _unit dofire _near;

_unit setvariable ["tpwcas_los_nexttime", diag_ticktime + 3]; // unit has been spotted - delay LOS check for 3 seconds

_unit setVariable ["tpwcas_los_visstate",1]; // LOS true - ONLY USED FOR DEBUG BALL PURPOSES

and now, AI enemy shoot when i look at them. (that what i was looking for)

Edited by Mariodu62

GAGI: tpwcas does NOT require ASR_AI. It only detects if it is running and then calls a function to aid in setting unit skills under suppression etc... if tpwcas does Not detect asr_ai it still affects AI's skill.. Just with out the help of asr_ai.

Does it still do this if ASR_AI skill settings are disabled?

And if someone could just very quickly sum up how to correctly setup TPWCAS on a HC it would be appreciated. Do I only need to install the mod in the HC's directory, settings identical to dedi and run it with whatever the setting for "HC mode" is? The dedicated server is running the "dedi only" mode, no clients are running TPWCAS.

And a third question:

Is there a point in enabling TPWCAS's search cover functionality if ASR_AI3 is running?

I'm running into a problem when dealing with how curator spawned units are local to the client who spawned them when on dedicated. The player who spawned them needs to exit and rejoin the game in order to transfer the ownership of the units to the server, so the mod can take effect. This happens even if the player and the server are both running identical TPWCAS settings. It's the same problem when trying to run ASR_AI.

My brain is burning with los, :).

first, error in the script :

_pos2 = _this select 1;

if(typename _pos1 == "OBJECT") then {_pos1 = getpos >
8:28:48   Error position: <_pos1 == "OBJECT") then {_pos1 = getpos >
8:28:48   Error Undefined variable in expression: _pos1
8:28:48 File A3\functions_f\geometry\fn_dirTo.sqf, line 20
8:28:48 Error in expression <_cansee > 0) exitwith  

{ 

_dirto = ([_a, _b] call bis_fnc_dirto);  
_unitdir >
8:28:48   Error position: <_a, _b] call bis_fnc_dirto);  
_unitdir >
8:28:48   Error Undefined variable in expression: _a
8:28:48 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.altis\tpwcas\tpwcas_los.sqf, line 225

there is an error in rpt, so i modified the script line 225 by :

_dirto = ([_unit, _near] call bis_fnc_dirto); 

after correction an other one appeared with _turning (not _defined) corrected like that :

_unit lookat _near; 
_turning = _unit getvariable ["tpw_los_turning", 0];
if ((_turning == 0) && ((abs _delta) > 15)) then 

and then i didn't understand why the enemy (_near) receive the order to shoot to the unit.

so i tried

//_near reveal _unit;

//_unit doWatch _near;

_unit lookat _near;

_unit doTarget _near;

_handle = _unit dofire _near;

_unit setvariable ["tpwcas_los_nexttime", diag_ticktime + 3]; // unit has been spotted - delay LOS check for 3 seconds

_unit setVariable ["tpwcas_los_visstate",1]; // LOS true - ONLY USED FOR DEBUG BALL PURPOSES

and now, AI enemy shoot when i look at them. (that what i was looking for)

what files did you make those fixes in????