TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

Hi Tetet,

*edit : A bit more testing, seems like briefing, cat, ifols & arrest aren't working on dedicated although I think you removed those on the assumption flightdeck would do those functions. Flight deck spawning of F18's is ok but im unable to see the cat launch option when inside one sitting on the cat. I've only had to setPosASL the players in the briefing room, everything else is spawning ok at the correct height so far.

I have tested it on Dedicated and its no problem for me. I started setting the ambient first, before the other modules, then i added the mission on our dedicated server and cat and every other modules worked afterwards.

This preview release of the Nimitz for arma3 is quite important, as an interface to the scripting and hence missions world has been changed: The various global variables have been removed, allowing to place multiple functional carriers on map. Two missions, one for single-, one for multiplayer accompany this release that illustrate this new option.

Graphically this preview release offers a new island texture, by ASBOJay, who already contributed via the new hull and deck textures. The re-texturing of the carrier is on going work, but now the textures on the outside are done. Some experiments with rvmats were undertaken, but not included due to problems with reflections.

Download link: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23049

The changes from version 08:

o removal of global variables for the Nimitz

o adding TTT_NimitzCarriers as global to hold references to all Nimitz class on map

o sripts changed to support multiple carriers on map

o new island textures by ASBOJay

The roadmap for version 10 includes:

o new documentation (was postponed from v09)

o support for a vehicle respawn option to sync the needed modules again

o fixing bugs

o new textures for the interiour

o missions for amphibious landing and ambient starting and landing traffic

CREDITS

JDog - Nimitz for Arma2

piedebeouf - new lights and starting the initiative for conversion

Sealife - pointing to the missing crew

John_Spartan - consulting and arrest script

Phantom - upgraded elevator script

rundll - permission to use his towing script in Arma3

Sierra - new deck textures

armyinf - testing and documentation

BloodOfTheScribe - new interior textures

asbojay - new hull and deck textures

soldier2390 - new hull textures, including secondary textures

rory_pamphilon - top gun mission

TeTeT - some scripts

KNOWN ISSUES

- due to the deprecation of global variables, the built-in hook and wire animation of the

F/A-18 v 1.50 does no longer work. See the work around section.

- the towing module has debug output enabled by default, please disable it manually

- sometimes you spawn in the water with the onShip and Flightdeck/Briefing/Hangar module

- placing the ambiance module without towing will produce an error and towing will

not work

- the carrier does not move

- sometimes the plane will suddenly explode when moved into the catapult position

- the plane will take some damage when landing

- for towing only the F-18 is supported right now, other arma3 vehicles may follow

- towing does not work on dedicated server - unless the towed vehicle is local to the

towing player

- clipping errors where the sub models of the Nimitz connect

- you can fall through invisible cracks

- in 3d view you can see through walls

WORK AROUND

The wire animation of the built-in hook script of the F/A-18 v 1.50 does no longer work. This

can be countered by adding the following code to the Nimitz init line:

nimCar3 = ["nimCar3", this] call TTT_fnc_global;nimCar4 = ["nimCar4", this] call TTT_fnc_global;

Background: the global variables were all removed to allow for multiple carriers on map. The

TTT_fnc_global retrieves the former global variable from the object and the above code adds it

again as global variable. Unfortunately the F/A-18 wire animation will only work with one carrier

then.

Changelog

2013-11-17 public variable

- scr\init.sqf

- make TTT_NimitzCarriers a public variable

2013-11-16 New textures

- tex\

- new island textures by AsboJay

2013-11-09 Remove globals

- scr\init.sqf

- remove all references to globals and store them in the _nim

object, e.g. the carrier itself

2013-11-07 New textures

- tex\

- new hull and deck textures, made from tga via texview2

2013-11-04 Start converting globals

- scr\init.sqf

- add test variable to nimitz object

2013-11-02 Public variable

- scr\init.sqf

- make JDG_steamFX a public variable

2013-10-27 New textures

- tex\

- new textures sent by soldier2390 and asbojay

2013-10-26 Fix config.cpp error

-config.cpp

- rscTitle don't seem to have ReadAndWrite access anymore

2013-10-23 Missing semicolon

- config.cpp

- added missing semicolon for eventhandler

2013-10-22 Removed zodiac

- res\carrier_3.p3d

- removed built-in zodiacs

2013-10-21 Updated textures

- replaced interior and comm board textures by those from

BloodOfTheScribe

2013-10-19 Crew and init

- xtracrew

- removed the Nimitz crew for Arma2, better use FUTARM

maritime pack

- scr\init.sqf

- set NimitzScripts to false to see if modules work

2013-10-17 Initialization

- scr\init.sqf

- add NimitzScripts global, if set to false no built-in

scripts are run

- scr\elevator.sqf

- reverted to 05 version, planes and ugv sometimes launch to

outer space

2013-10-16 rvmats

- mats\lockers.rvmat, mats\metal.rvmat

- new rvmat files, but no difference in looks?

2013-10-14 Textures

- tex\

- added modified deck textures from piedebeouf

- config.cpp

- changed spawn height of Zodiac to old value again

- scr\elevator.sqf

- new version with smoother transitions, by Phantom

- scr\sys_catapult_2.sqf

- work around for teleporting to catapult

2013-10-12 Fix missing bmp.p3d and debug script

- config.cpp

- Add empty.p3d as model config to carrier spawner

- Add empty turret section

- Change crew to B_crew_F

- res\empty.p3d

- Added

- scr\sys_catapult.sqf

- make nimCat?Use a public variable for debugging and mp

compatibility

- scr\init.sqf

- make nimHang1 public variable so weapons elevator works in

mp

2013-10-09 Lights and overview

- client_deckChecks.sqf

- Added maps for Altis and Stratis (piedebouf)

- config.cpp

- Added piedebouf lights to the carrier

- init.sqf

- Initializes some globals

2013-10-08/2 Cleanup

- client_deckChecks.sqf, init.sqf

- Removed CBA_fnc_debug

2013-10-08 Work on towing

- dll_tow\bbox.sqf, dll_tow\tow.sqf

- Changed RoadCone to RoadCone_F for debugging

- dll_tow\config.sf

- Added entries for UGV and F/A-18E and F

- dll_tow\tow.sqf

- Removed nil = call

2013-10-06 Work on duplicated actions

- client_deckChecks.sqf

- add check for kindof plane before adding any action

- add check for actionId before launch action

2013-10-05 Some changes for running Nimitz on a dedicated server

- client_deckChecks.sqf

- Added initialization for 'NimitzPlanes', when mission does

not define it

- Changed exitWith{} to waitUntil as the first seems to break

on dedicated server

- Script does no longer run on dedicated server

- hasActions and Cat_Action in objects is a public variable now

- wait until player is alive before script is run - probably

does not work either, as player is undefined during

multiplayer here according to BIS wiki

- init.sqf

- make nimCableReady a public variable

- client_sounds.sqf, arrest2.sqf, arrestRemovehandler.sqf,

arrestAddHandler

- do not run on dedicated server

- sys_ordnance.sqf

- use variable 'nimTractors' for tractor detection, remove

call to nearestObjects

- sys_ordnance_fill.sqf, elevator.sqf

- try to change tractor type to UGV

2013-10-03 / 3 Fix Zodiacs

- config.cpp

- Changed spawn height of Zodiac to align with floor

- Removed destroying Zodiac after recovery, can be reused again

- Changed "boat" to "nimBoat"

2013-10-03 / 2 Fix Zodiacs

- config.cpp

- Changed "Zodiac" to "B_Boat_Transport_01_F"

- Introduced new global variable "boat" to make zodiac

deployment and recovery possible again

- scr/zodiacBoard.sqf, scr/zodiacDismount.sqf, scr/zodiacDown.sqf,

- Removed use of nearestObject, use new global "boat"

- scr/zodiacUp.sqf

- use "vehicle player" instad of nearestObject, unclear how

this affects multiplayer

2013-10-03 Fix catapults

- scr/fx_steamShot.sqf

- Changed _particle again to smoke.p3d

- scr/fx_steamCharge.sqf

- Changed _particle as in fx_steamShot.sqf

- scr/client_deckChecks.sqf

- Changed nearestObjects for planes to vehicle player for

performance and also reliability. nearestObjects does not work

perfectly anymore

- Added actions to vehicles in NimitzPlanes unconditionally

- Breaks the automatic addition of these actions when

doing more than one sortie

- config.cpp

- Changed font from bitstream to puristaLight

2013-10-02 Start conversion for arma3

- Removed xtra_crew/config.bin as the base class is no longer

available

- config.cpp

- Changed CfgFactionClass to NATO

- Changed faction in JDG_carrier_Spawner to BLU_F

- Removed model ca\misc\empty

- Added coefSpeedInside (2) and windSockExist (0) to

JDG_carrier_nimspots

- scr/init.sqf

- Changed HeliHEmpty to Land_HelipadEmpty_F

- scr/client_deckChecks.sqf

- Initialized deckCheck ("")

- Initialized global variables for catapults (nimCat?FX)

- scr/fx_steamShot.sqf

- Considered making first check for ObjNull instead of 0

- Changed _particle to a3 particle model

- Changed jet to local _jet in while loop

- scr/client_sounds.sqf

- Changed meaningless comparison to assignment

Hello Tete,

In the known issues it states that the carrier does not move. If I recall from the Arma 2 release this is due to the fact that the carrier is multiple objects attached together via scripts.

My question to you is, with Arma 3 would it be possible to make it move? Or are the same limitations still present with the updated engine?

Would also like to congratulate you on a updated release, I have not have a chance to play with the most recent update, but I checked out the last one and am very impressed. Keep up the good work!

Hello Tete,

In the known issues it states that the carrier does not move. If I recall from the Arma 2 release this is due to the fact that the carrier is multiple objects attached together via scripts.

My question to you is, with Arma 3 would it be possible to make it move? Or are the same limitations still present with the updated engine?

Would also like to congratulate you on a updated release, I have not have a chance to play with the most recent update, but I checked out the last one and am very impressed. Keep up the good work!

Same premise, I know on his task list, a moving Nimitz is not on there. While it would be awesome, it would require way more time and a lot of headache for everyone involved in the project.

Do anyone have a template mission for this? Its impossible to spawn planes in the hangar and taxi to elevator and turn around when on deck

Why are you flying inside the hanger? Use the Tow module and use the UGV...

lo0se, armyinf is spot on, no plans to get the carrier moving.

Saetheer, it's quite tricky to get from hangar to flight deck without towing UGV. On sample missions, take a look at the folders named Missions and MPMissions in the download. From memory all of those that have F/A-18s in have some planes parked on the flight deck.

This is just a teaser, no ETA for the Mk29 Sea Sparrow on the Nimitz:

Uhuhuh nice job! So also JDog is still working on his creature? Very great news!

Do anyone have a template mission for this? Its impossible to spawn planes in the hangar and taxi to elevator and turn around when on deck

Aircraft are towed until they stage on the flight deck. I have a full air wing and the hardest aircraft to place were in the hangar(can be a bit buggy), but after a couple beers and few hours time it really pays off having a fully functional aircraft carrier. :D The only real area that I would like to see improved is landing guidance. TeTeT I know we have all had indepth discussions about it, and I know you will do what you can for us. Thanks for your hard work, keep it up!!!!

This is just a teaser, no ETA for the Mk29 Sea Sparrow on the Nimitz:
I'm going to guess that the "NSS Admin Console" and "Test Function"/"Reset Function" exist more or less as an interim solution for manipulating the MK 29 Guided Missile Launching System (GMLS) to go through the missile launch motions...? While "the missile neither tracks something, nor is there a command radar station for the launcher", I'm perfectly satisfied with the visuals and I would have no issue with you initially implementing it as a static AA launcher in the style of the vanilla game's Static Titan Launcher (AA). :) What sort of thinking have you given to any sort of "command radar station" for it though?

EDIT: Realized that NSS Admin Console is in fact a separate thing.

Edited by Chortles

@ramius86, the sea sparrow came with the Nimitz, but was not released, so it is not really a new model.

@WarLord554, landing guidance is an interesting topic. I usually just do a quick flight around the carrier and then land again to test something, not really not much of an effort to set up an approach. Would a module help that places a couple of markers at 3, 5 and 8 km from the carrier, directing towards the angled deck?

@Chortles, I never really thought about adding a gunner to the system and making it a 'heavy' AA launcher. So far my thinking was influenced by the fire control console in the Thor and Rapier systems from Mando's missile system in ArmA2. Not sure how the interface would look like, though.

@Scott1978, and others, thanks for the positive feedback :)

Would a module help that places a couple of markers at 3, 5 and 8 km from the carrier, directing towards the angled deck?

That would be extremely extremely helpful, like something you can activate and it gives you waypoints for the right glideslope.

Made some progress on the traffic mission and with the v09 carrier it ought to work, beta available here:

http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/%5bSP%5dNimitzTraffic.Stratis.pbo

There are two cam scripts included, a very early modified version of SmartCam for ArmA3 by Rydygier and my own attempt, based on Rydygier's idea of automatic camera control but much less versatile. Both scripts sometimes loose focus and have problems on their own, so you're welcome to use the cam script of your choice with the mission. If you find the perfect one, let me know :) Rydygier's SmartCam script can be exited by any keypress, my script by using Escape.

[edit]The mission requires the John_Spartan/Saul F/A-18 and FUTARM Maritime Units by BloodOfTheScribe.

The mission itself also could use some further polishing, besides the shortcomings like the rather awkward taxiing process. The deck is currently a single resource but could be split into parts for more rapid taxiing. The approach is kind of hacked, as the plane teleports, flying it would be more nice.

I wonder if there's interest in a mission where the player controls the carrier traffic? So the requests by the AI would have to be answered by the player somehow, either radio menu or via GUI.

Edited by TeTeT
add dependencies

hi tetet, after watching your clip i got headache after 5 min because of that moving camera. i would suggest you use fixed camera points at specific points on the carrier. so you could switch pov via actionmenu?

@minbl4ster, agreed, it's a bit tiring to see the same moving sequences for 10 minutes. I don't really want to create a full camera script, so feel free to use any camera script that allows fixed camera positions.

@Stricky and others, a first try at an approach assistance with map markers:

http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/%5bSP%5dNimitzApproachAssist.Stratis.pbo

If it helps I add it as module.

I wonder if there's interest in a mission where the player controls the carrier traffic? So the requests by the AI would have to be answered by the player somehow, either radio menu or via GUI.

Sounds really interesting, either with AI or with other humans. Like a carrier operation with an air boss slot who coordinates everything (for this matter having a nicely textured prifly control would be nice for the air boss).

Oh my GOSH I didn't know how badly I wanted that until now... NOW I realize (or rather, remember) why I was so interested in primary flight control so long ago!

Sounds really interesting, either with AI or with other humans. Like a carrier operation with an air boss slot who coordinates everything (for this matter having a nicely textured prifly control would be nice for the air boss).
That is to say, I really really want this... I'm oddly imagining "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations: ARMA Edition." :lol:

@TeTeT I put the marker mission into my mission folder, selected it ingame and hit play. It gives me a: "...mission.sqm/Mission/Groups/Item1/Vehicles/Item0.Vehicle: Vehcile class JS_JC_Pilot no longer exists"

what did I do wrong this time? :P

@Stricky, a prifly control would be nice to have, agreed. And it would well blend in with that kind of mission. On the mission I'm afraid it needs the F/A-18 mod as well as FUTARM maritime units loaded. Will edit the post to reflect that.

@Chortles, lol, CMNAO ArmA Edition sounds nice, though I'd call it Harpoon Arma Edition rather ;) Well, after some thinking it ought to be ATC ArmA Edition, see http://techtinkering.com/images/posts/bsd_games_atc.jpg for the BSD game Air Traffic Controller game from 87, all in ASCII art.

[Edit] Removed the following, as it was not correct: But first the prifly room would need to be made accessible, the under construction room is from what I know the bridge, one level below prifly.

Edited by TeTeT
make corrections

NOT trying to be that guy, but the carrier is about 10% to small. The island is about right, but she isn't long nor wide enough. Also, since we are talking about cameras, have you thought of adding a fixed LSO camera to help weaker pilots with getting on glide path (and keeping them there)?

Okay, I got the markermission working (I was waaaay outdated with my mods, they develop faster than I thought they would...). Now from what saw it gives you a marker on the map only (I did not notice anything in the cockpit). This isn't reeeeally helpful, as I was looking for something IN the cockpit (if it was implemented somehow in the HUD it would be awsome) that gives you not only a point straight to the flightdeck, but the real glideslope. Like exactly where you need to fly along (there are several rules for several scenarios, when to lower the hook, when to turn etc. check the PDF in your download for what I mean). So all in all It would be awesome to have something realistic, on the other hand this is not as important as other factors might be. So if you want to give this a try, then do it as you see fit. And thanks for all your work! :)