TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

Its good to see that this mod is being worked on again and thanks for that TeTeT.

For anyone on the thread here, I've tried all options for respawning planes linked with cables and catapult on dedicated server, with no luck of it working passed the initial plane at the beginning of the mission. Anyone have a script of maybe a trigger setup they're willing to share to activate the catapults when an F-18 that respawned is close by or another possible way? Would greatly appreciate the help.

Looking forward to the next update gentleman, keep it up!

Edited by Crow_X
Left out part of question

Hi TeTet,

(If this issue is already explained I did not find it in this entire post, looked everywhere.)

I am not sure if this is because of the update today (03-03-2015) but I am encountering a issue with your traffic mission.

To be sure there are no mods conflicting I removed all but required mods.

When the planes are launched in your example mission they are making a left turn towards the sea and they crash after a couple of hundred meters.

Not sure what to do to fix this, looks like he AI is not or not correctly using the waypoint and just crashed into the water.

Things I tried:

- Increase plane speed

- Increase altitude of markers in editor

- Increase altitude in script when calling marker

Nothing solves the issue.

Hopefully you or someone else encountered this and has a solution.

Kind Regards,

NullaDies

@NullaDIes, the problem in the traffic mission is as follows: to keep the AI pilots from taxiing off the carrier, I use setDamage 1 upon spawn to kill the plane crews. When launching from the catapult I resurrect another crew (deleteVehicle on the old crew and createVehicleCrew on the plane), but since some update (not 1.40) this is broken and the crew never flies the plane but crashes it right away.

You can fix the problem by not spawning AI crew before the catapult is in action and the plane is attached to the carrier. I have an updated version of the mission that does that, but it won't work with the released carrier anymore.

Hi TeTeT,

Solved it!

In fn_planeStart.sqf I changed the for each statement a little bit.

// resurrect crew

{ deleteVehicle _x } forEach crew _plane;

createVehicleCrew _plane;

Into:

// resurrect

{_plane deleteVehicleCrew _x} forEach crew _plane;

createVehicleCrew _plane;

Edited by NullaDIes

I have a little modification on the IFLOLS module to make it display light(ish) things from the deck.

Not sure if I've send it to TeTe before but Ill share it on request.

Hey TeTeT!

I'm working on an Air Campaign based on the Nimitz for Arma 3. By now I'm focussing on something that works for my online unit [sT1] and if I ever get it to work as I want I will release it online. I have a few questions/requests/ideas..

1) I've seen on your online FTP that you have a WIP version of it, new textures, working sounds, Hangar lights, etc.. As far as I can tell it would be an operational release except for the clipping issues (You can walk through most walls and fall to the water through many surfaces). Are you very far from a release at this point?

2) I'm learning to code to do this.. So bear with me. I'm having issues with the FA18X from Spartan & Co. where you wont get the launch menu option in the catapults, Any idea how to fix this?

3)I want the catapults to be weight-aware meaning that a heavier plane should be launched with a smaller speed than a lighter one. I think you make all catapults to accelerate to 50m/s (180kph) regardless of weight so my buddies take unrealistic loads with them. I've made a simple script with actual weights that checks the airplane loadout including how much fuel internal and external it carries and calculates a total weight and provides a launch speed with some random factor between 42 and 50m/s that should make launches more interesting. Let me know if you are interested.

4)The guys at first liked to tow the planes around but now they are impatient to wait for action so I've made a little script that checks whether a particular elevator has a free slot (in an elevator fit 2 F18) and if it is moves the plane. Obviously some of them are throwing their planes to the water because they forget to check whether the elevator is up or down. How could I detect whether a particular elevator is up or down?

5)I'm working too on an automated tower controller that would sequence planes to land and assign cats to launch. To make it realistic it will work on 4 modes to be switched by the mission commander: Launch only mode (All cats and elevators available), Mixed mode (only the 2 starboard forward elevators and cats 1 & 2 available for takeoff and aft elevators for landing), Low Visibility (Elevator 1 for departures and Elevator 2 for arrivals and only cat 1 available for launch). We use TFR so I'm researching a way to transmit pre-recorded radio messages via TFR.

5)I also want to make the rescue heli operational. In reality a helo is hovering while there are flight ops in progress. Its ready to rescue any downed pilots. I'm working on 65fr's Pirinees map (100kms x 100kms) and I want it to be available for any downed pilots withing 15 or 20kms from the Nimitz.

6)My greatest challenge is a radar.. I know SFP used to have a working radar script and USAF's FullerP is working on one too. I want the Nimitz to have radar for defense and a working CIC and operational E2 Hawkeyes for ofensive both air to air and air to ground capabilities.

Any input to any of this will be appreciated.

#6 sounds like an Addon Request Thread item arguably out of scope for his thread... though for what it's worth, there's more than one way to simulate "radar" in Arma (such as this as well), and the SFP "radar" was in the Arma 2 version (granQ said that the structure in question, the "UndE 23" (under 'crew served' category), would come to the A3 version at some point). MMA also had its own implementation where the GUI was dependent on what vehicle you were in, but considering that Mandoble only appeared on these forums once since 2011...

@Tholozor: that might be possible, though I think I tried it and the AI did still taxi around. The killing of the crew was the only reliable way I could come up with. Maybe with the new patches this has changed, though.

@NullaDIes: great finding, I'll add it to the updated mission. Looks better when there is a crew sitting in the plane.

@87th_Neptune: I got some IFLOLS contribution, but it was not completed. Feel free to get in touch by PM if you want to contribute it to an upcoming update.

@YankoST1: good luck with the air campaign ! Will be interesting to know about your experiences with the carrier, for sure.

1) The release date is not set yet, as the work is not finished. I reckon we need some 3-4 weeks of testing before a release. So it will be beyond mid of April for sure.

2) You can call the sync* functions directly on any spawned vehicle. Take a look at the ttt_nimitzmodules config.cpp for the available functions. For example, to sync a plane at deck height with all needed functions try "[_plane, 17.5] spawn TTT_fnc_syncSimple;" If you want to give a crew member repair functionality, call "[_unit] spawn TTT_syncRepair;" and so forth.

3) Different take off speeds sound interesting, though I think the shooters apply different steam pressure to the catapult to assist heavier planes. But might make for a nice option to the catapult.

4) Please take a look at the carrier config.cpp. The conditions for the user actions on the elevator show how to detect if an elevator is up or down. For example, "this animationPhase ""ani_ElevBarT"" == 0"; for an elevator at deck height and "this animationPhase ""ani_ElevBarB"" == -1"; for an elevator at hangar level. The variable this needs to be replaced with the lod where the elevator is located. Note that these names change with the update (geoX before, now JDG_carrier_ele_1 to 4).

5), 5-2) and 6) How do you want to automate these restrictions? Isn't this best left to 'role playing' the air boss and other crew members? On the helicopter, we're in touch with a modder that has a Seahawk pending, hope that would help your campaign. Albeit it's too early to tell when the release data will be. On radar, depends on how sophisticated you want it to be. Can be a lot of work. We're also in touch with a modder for a C-2/E-2, but again no release date seen yet.

On the Nimitz status as of now, the hangars still need some love and work. The split into the new model lods seems to work fine and but for the missing geo lods no falling through 'cracks' were reported as of now. The new textures have come a long way and are continued to be improved. We put preliminary support for helicopters to the elevators via enableSimulation false and setPos, but it's not clear if that hack will survive testing.

@YankoST1: actually I'm working on a mission for the Nimitz too. I've been working on a elevator script too! Probably not as sophisticated as yours yet:

2ustr2b.jpg

This a menu that you get with an addaction that I add to vehicles on the nimitz.

I also made a 'Stations' script, which will teleport you to different spots on the nimitz:

2uh3lmq.jpg

I'm looking to join a group to further develop this. PM me if interested.

TeTeT: Love you and your teams work on this. Keep up the good work!!!

• Like 1

@YankoST1: actually I'm working on a mission for the Nimitz too. I've been working on a elevator script too! Probably not as sophisticated as yours yet:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2ustr2b.jpg

This a menu that you get with an addaction that I add to vehicles on the nimitz.

I also made a 'Stations' script, which will teleport you to different spots on the nimitz:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2uh3lmq.jpg

I'm looking to join a group to further develop this. PM me if interested.

TeTeT: Love you and your teams work on this. Keep up the good work!!!

Yep.. Mine looks pretty much the same! I actually fit 2 planes in each elevator. There are 2 fixed spots in each elevator and the code checks if either are free and if so moves the plane there otherwise an "Elevator Busy" message shows up. Also I've managed to put the actual weight numbers in the weight board of a static picture of a boatswain's mate (the guy that informs both the cat controllers and the pilot of the weight) wich shows up before launch.. I'll upload a vid to YT of everything working as soon as I can.

If there were an animation of a SM with a board perhaps we could texture the numbers on it... Something to research.

@TeTet Thank you for the hints. The automation of the elevators can be as simple as disabling the buttons on the elevator's dialog. I know that the cat's actually will push more or less depending on the actual weight to compensate but I want the people to "feel" the weight and for the to launch with a heavy plane to be more challenging. I dont see anybody actually volunteering to play Air Boss.. I'd rather have them organized automatically. I think they'll want to fly rather than sitting in the carrier taking care of traffic jams.

BTW.. I just saw you updated the FTP with a newer version of the Nimitz and while it still is in WIP is functional enough for me to work with while you finish it.

Why the tow trucks are not spawning? Should I add them manually and then syncing them to the TOW module?

Edited by YankoST1
Adding question

Why the tow trucks are not spawning? Should I add them manually and then syncing them to the TOW module?

Don't know, I haven't changed the modules lately, but for the elevator scripts. Maybe they spawn in the water?

Yep.. Mine looks pretty much the same! I actually fit 2 planes in each elevator. There are 2 fixed spots in each elevator and the code checks if either are free and if so moves the plane there otherwise an "Elevator Busy" message shows up. Also I've managed to put the actual weight numbers in the weight board of a static picture of a boatswain's mate (the guy that informs both the cat controllers and the pilot of the weight) wich shows up before launch.. I'll upload a vid to YT of everything working as soon as I can.

If there were an animation of a SM with a board perhaps we could texture the numbers on it... Something to research.

@TeTet Thank you for the hints. The automation of the elevators can be as simple as disabling the buttons on the elevator's dialog. I know that the cat's actually will push more or less depending on the actual weight to compensate but I want the people to "feel" the weight and for the to launch with a heavy plane to be more challenging. I dont see anybody actually volunteering to play Air Boss.. I'd rather have them organized automatically. I think they'll want to fly rather than sitting in the carrier taking care of traffic jams.

BTW.. I just saw you updated the FTP with a newer version of the Nimitz and while it still is in WIP is functional enough for me to work with while you finish it.

Wow man, looking good. Glad to see people working on more great scripts for our baby!

Ok .. Here goes the video. Its a long one but there is much to explain and my English is rusty. You can see the radar, the elevator menu and the cat mod with the actual weight shown on the screen.

Remember is WIP, right now I'm on night shifts at work so cant barely touch the computer.

Ideas welcome.

@YankoST1, nice work of yours! Hopefully the E-2 will be ready for the dual radar script for your campaign...

@YankoST1, nice work of yours! Hopefully the E-2 will be ready for the dual radar script for your campaign...

Yea yea. I'll do it when we get back.

So.. I'm back on day shift. I've sent sjones my contact details.

I've added a few more things to the radar:

- Optimized the code so the contact list generation and the markers work on different scripts and therefore work simultaneously. Now the refresh rate is at least 3 times better.

- Signal lost is now simulated. Once a contact is lost its color changes and its information dissapears but the icon remains for a few seconds in the last known position.

- Friendlies last known position is tracked and a warning is displayed in case of radar contact loss.. Just in case a CSAR operation required.

In another level.. The cat computation has been fined tuned so the airplane does not stumble on the deck end on launch. Also I've been messing with the elevator script to fix the bouncing. I think I have a solution but I still need to check it works.

I've modified the Osprey from the USAF mod so it spawns with its engines packed and can then be spawned inside the Nimitz hangar.

Any updates on the Nimitz?

Yanko

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Make any request you want for the ship here, and we will see what we can do :)

Edited by sjones17

Make any request you want for the ship here, and we will see what we can do :)

Well there have been some cool addons released that focus on air defence: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25690.

It would be nice to have some real air defence's incorperated with the ship, instead of the Cheetah IFV's placed down on the deck.

Edited by CyclonicTuna

Well there have been some cool addons released that focus on air defence: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25690.

It would be nice to have some real air defence's incorperated with the ship, instead of the Cheetah IFV's placed down on the deck.

We have plans for that, yesterday I finished the Platforms for them on the port side, just need to texture them.

Hi TeTeT,

I've got two questions for you...

1. The Arming for the F/A-18 Super Hornet isn't working for me. Either I place down a Super Hornet onto the deck and arm it like normal, but i can't use the catapult system OR I use the the module version of the SuperHornet in the Nimitz Modules and I can't arm it properly (it only has 'MASTER ARM - SAFE and Flares). I've looked all over and there's nothing really on it. :confused:

2. What happened to the actions and effects like the screen blurring at takeoff, Catapult smoke getting blown away when the Jet takes off, and the Maritime units performing their actions/signals for the salute (I dont know if this one is a separate problem from the other two). Is it a Nimitz module I haven't synced into the Nimitz itself or a separate Addon i need? :confused:

Thanks so much mate! ;)

P.S will there be an update for tractors in A3? :cool:

TomusGilbert, have you tried placing the super hornet on the deck and syncing it with the 'flightdeck' module? It might very well be that the ambiance F/A-18 are not initialized properly, I'll do some research. On the second question, the crew member standing besides the plan and signalling the take-off is new, it's merely available in an experimental build. The cat smoke should be there, maybe it broke with an update? On the tractor's, I'll hope we can support Peral's tractors in the next release.

Unfortunately the next release is being pushed back, as the interior of the carrier is still in need of fixing. Currently the boat room is not operational, some doors are closed and the weapons elevator ceased to work. Once these issues are resolved, a final round of testing will be started and then a release will be made.

Glad to hear you are still working on the Nimitz, it is absolutely needed for ARMA 3.

Thanks

Vengeance