TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

Seems I've included the wrong bikey with the 0.104 release. If you're in need of the correct key, download from https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/keys/tetet_nimitz.bikey

Update is pending, if any of you is interested in testing, preferably on a multiplayer server with verify signatures enabled: https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/Nimitz-0.105.zip 

Things to test are the usual core functions:

• do planes launch via the cat?
  • does recovery via arresting wires work?
  • do elevators work?

Thanks,

TeTeT

Thanks again for the test, @vengeance1

The new version 0.105 is now live on steam workshop. Changelog is minimal:

- correct bikey included
- removed debug output from plane launch

Enjoy,

TeTeT

Hello,

I looked further into the problem of landing AI with the dynamic airport config of the Nimitz and I came to no other solution than preventing crashes and splashes with a function. It's currently called with a sleep, but ultimately need to go into a per frame event handler:

ttt_nimitz_fnc_preventCrashAndSplash = {
	params [["_plane", ObjNull]];
	if (isNull _plane) exitWith { "Need a plane in prevent crash and splash" call bis_fnc_error; };
	private _carrier = _plane getVariable ["ttt_nimitz_carrier", ObjNull];
	if (isNull _carrier) exitWith { "Need a carrier in prevent crash and splash" call bis_fnc_error; };
	while {alive _plane and speed _plane > 10} do {
		private _nextPos = _plane getPos [10, getDir _plane];
		// adjust for flight deck height
		_nextPos set [2, 18];
		private _intersects = lineIntersectsWith [_nextPos, [_nextPos # 0, _nextPos # 1, 0], _plane, objNull, false];
		// systemChat format ["%1 intersects", _intersects];
		if (count _intersects isEqualTo 0) then {
			systemChat "preventing splash";
			[_plane, _plane getDir _carrier] call ttt_nimitz_fnc_turn;
		};
		private _ent = _plane nearEntities 20;
		// systemChat str _ent;
		{
			if (_x isEqualTo _plane) exitWith {};
			private _type = toLower typeOf _x;
			if (_type find "jdg" > -1) exitWith {};
			systemChat format ["preventing crash with %1 [%2]", _x, _type];
			[_plane, _plane getDir _carrier] call ttt_nimitz_fnc_turn;
		} forEach _ent;
		// Probably better make the above a per frame eventhandler
		sleep 0.01;
	};
	_plane;
};

In the while loop I check two conditions: First, if there's no object below the plane any longer I stop it cold with 'ttt_nimitz_fnc_turn' which uses setDir; second, I use 'nearEntities 20' to see if I'm about to crash into any object/unit and again use 'ttt_nimitz_fnc_turn' to stop the plane.

One thing I haven't tested yet, but seems to be worth exploring: Give the plane a waypoint some 3km (or more) behind the carrier with the 9 degree offset of the angled flight deck. This might allow AI to line up their approach properly. 

And there's this video of the current situation:

• Haha 2

Hey guys, just starting to wrap my head around the carrier and it's looking great. I'd been working on a kind of dynamic mission generator for air combat on Deniland with vanilla assets, but finally made the jump to mods (who doesn't want to fly F-14s, right?) and a PMC map, and knew about this project so I dropped it in with a loose plan to quickly incorporate it into the mission. But it's almost becoming a focal point, as opposed to somewhere to just respawn and launch planes from 😂 I've already got a bunch of new plans involving it!!

A bug report though. During editing, whenever I come out of the game and back into the 3den editor, I notice an object dropping out of the island that looks suspiciously like a "ttt_nimitz_radar". I know you're aware of a number of gaps and untextured sections etc, but I hadn't read anything about this. 

Cheers.

On 12/7/2020 at 9:31 AM, beno_83au said:

A bug report though. During editing, whenever I come out of the game and back into the 3den editor, I notice an object dropping out of the island that looks suspiciously like a "ttt_nimitz_radar". I know you're aware of a number of gaps and untextured sections etc, but I hadn't read anything about this. 

Thanks, I saw that once or so too, but I don't know why it happens and how to fix it 🙂 Any suggestions welcome.

I grabbed a video of it happening and did a little investigative work (don't get your hopes up, I was only using 3den) just to see where it was coming from. I also spawned/removed the carrier a number of times to see how consistent it was because I noticed that it didn't happen as much when the camera was near the object (video below). But when spawning it a number of times, as I have done at the start of the video, it only failed to drop once. And when inside the island and close to the object, it would sometimes drop only a little, sometimes not at all.

https://youtu.be/HQT-Nk33pRk

As for a solution...... I don't do models, but would a solid platform under it keep it in place? I assume it's needed too, if it's meant to be acting as a radar for the Nimitz's weaponry.

To prevent falling down the cube, it just need to have its GeoLOD model be broken - no weight or no convex components. Actually, I do not see reason for having any of the geometry LODs in this part (?) since it remains hidden, just as an invisible component of the carrier.

hi tetet

i use one of your mission called "[SP]NimitzTraffic2020.Stratis" that is great, the only problem is one of the script called "fn_loadout2.sqf" it supposed to load weapons(missiles/ bombs) on fa-18 but it doesn't load anything 

so i would appreciate if you fix this script

sorry for my English

Hi All,

We have recently added the Nimitz mod to our dedicated server. When testing the map locally everything works (catapults, virtual garage and boat launcher). As soon as we transfer the map to our dedicated server, these do not work anymore.

Any advice on how to resolve this on the server?

Sounds odd, the catapults should work. Is CBA on the server and client running? Virtual Garage on the elevator is local only, indeed. Boat launcher gave a lot of people grief in the past, need to rework it eventually.

Hello,

looking for some ideas and/or opinions on the below subject of arresting wires on the Nimitz.

The current implementation is ageing and a bit crude. In the Bon Homme Richard NightIntruder and I created a more precise grappling mechanism based on the tailhooks actual position vs the wire represented by a physx rope.  While in isolation this method works well, there's a huge caveat:

The BIS_fnc_aircraftTailhook function used for braking the plane on landing on Freedom is calling a 'tailhook up' code when no Freedom or related objects are found. And finally the function calls 'tailhook up' when the plane has landed and sits still finally. For compatibility with the Freedom about any modded aircraft calls this function somehow.

Now the above mentioned rope based arresting code for Bon Homme Richard/Nimitz/MAAS uses the tailhook up for ungrappling the tailhook from the wire. With BIS_fnc_aircraftTailhook script running, no braking will be done, as the wire is caught and released a split second later.

This can be partially overcome by adding a compatibility object inheriting from some Freedom part and having a correctly name mem point in the model (kudos Leopard20 for the idea!). 

However , a proper landing process calls for full military power after catching the wire, in case the wire breaks. This will send the plane right into the sea, as BIS_fnc_aircraftTailhook will raise the tailhook once the braking is complete.

Now, we consider the following work around: How about using airplaneThrottle (https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/airplaneThrottle) and speed < 1 and tailhook up before ungrappling the wire? AI planes landing would need a different codepath though, as airplaneThrottle only applies to player aircraft. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

An alternative would be to upvote https://feedback.bistudio.com/T162620 and remove tailhook up code from EXIT_CODE macro and maybe later in the script as well.

Cheers,

TeTeT

• Like 2

Hello,

I did some testing with the new compatibility with Freedom and the Nimitz, and the new arresting scripts. Results are here, https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/Nimitz Arrest Test Matrix.pdf . Bottom line most times either script will stop the plane, at times the landing is very short distanced, due to two scripts for braking kicking in.

Cheers,

TeTeT

• Like 3

On 1/13/2022 at 12:28 AM, vengeance1 said:

Worked much better in MP!

Thanks @vengeance1 for the feedback. I've converted the refuel mechanism to ropes now too:

Anyone interested in testing before I upload to Nimitz Experimental on Steam Workshop: https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/@nimitz_exp.7z

The strange thing: I attach the plane to the Nimitz during refuel. If not, the plane sinks into the flight deck when a player pilot enters. Must be some hiccup between ropes and attachTo I suspect.

Cheers,

TeTeT

• Like 1

Happy 50th Launch Anniversary to USS Nimitz! Very short video to celebrate this:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hello, I have some problem with Carrier Service Menu.
Whenever I use the service menu and exit, aircraft(F/A-18)'s throttle is instantly set to 100% and it cancel the action(rearm, refuel, repair .etc).
How can I fix this issue? thanks.

On 7/27/2022 at 6:14 PM, cpt.Edward said:

Hello, I have some problem with Carrier Service Menu.
Whenever I use the service menu and exit, aircraft(F/A-18)'s throttle is instantly set to 100% and it cancel the action(rearm, refuel, repair .etc).
How can I fix this issue? thanks.

Hmm, very hard to tell. I'm not aware of any code changing the aircraft throttle from the service menu. Is there maybe any other mod interfering?

Cheers,

TeTeT

Hi,

seems Zeus spawning on dedicated server is broken with Experimental Build, leading to a server crash. I'm investigating, but currently have low hopes to find a solution.

TeTeT

Hi,

seems I have found a work around, but it's not clear if missions with multiple Nimitz carriers will still work. Anyone using multiple Nimitz carriers in a mission and is interested in testing? Please send me a DM if interested.

Cheers,
TeTeT

Hey, i haven't found anything to this problem yet, but if i lower my launchbar and get onto the catapult the launch crew spawns... but about 8 meters in the air and about half of them die from the fall. First of all this does not really add to immersion, second of all, i guess if the wrong one dies, he cant perform his animation so the others wait forever and i can restart the mission because i'm stuck on the catapult... Any Ideas? Flightdeck height is 17.5 meters, the same height as in the onShip Module...

23 hours ago, Sh0rty said:

Hey, i haven't found anything to this problem yet, but if i lower my launchbar and get onto the catapult the launch crew spawns... but about 8 meters in the air and about half of them die from the fall. First of all this does not really add to immersion, second of all, i guess if the wrong one dies, he cant perform his animation so the others wait forever and i can restart the mission because i'm stuck on the catapult... Any Ideas? Flightdeck height is 17.5 meters, the same height as in the onShip Module...

Try to remove the OnShip module, it probably adds 17 meters to the spawn pos of the cat crew.

Good luck,
TeTeT

Hi,

I've added support for the PLAT camera system for the Landing Signal Officer platform to Nimitz Experimental build. The hotkey ctrl-shift-p toggles the PLAT camera on the LSO platform. The information displayed is derived from any approaching aircraft. If there are multiple aircraft approaching, the result is probably weird, it's not tested.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1697731012

Cheers,

TeTeT

• Like 2