TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the guide shared by Uro. The dynamic airport object now works roughly:

• Like 7

So cool to see the dedication of the people working on this mod, and other projects for that matter. Keep up the good work people! 

• Like 1

Been working on a little side project with tetet that we will hopefully showcase soon, but I promise as soon as I can I will post up some WIP screenshots of the lower decks. I am pretty happy with it all so far. If anyone has any suggestions for rooms they would like to see included I am open to any and all suggestions. I will try to accommodate as best I can keeping with the realism of the carrier

• Like 2

Keep on keeping on! This mod is amazing and is too far along to be touched by Bohemia's carrier.

• Like 1

Don't worry, I don't think we and especially TeTeT will let that mod die in the near and far future! :3

The last update seems to have added subpixel rendering/distant rendering for select object. Its quite a significant addition im not sure why i cant see it in the changelog :o

s2cnEpW.png

Thats the USS Freedom. The Nimitz is right next to it but isnt being rendered, so it must be a setting somewhere. Would you be able to add it in the next update? Being able to see the nimitz from far away would be so much better when landing ;).

9 minutes ago, zafjr said:

The last update seems to have added subpixel rendering/distant rendering for select object. Its quite a significant addition im not sure why i cant see it in the changelog :o

Thats the USS Freedom. The Nimitz is right next to it but isnt being rendered, so it must be a setting somewhere. Would you be able to add it in the next update? Being able to see the nimitz from far away would be so much better when landing ;).

Give them time, the update for Arma3 only arrived today!

• Like 3

Once the Freedom did hit dev branch we inspected the config and found that a recently introduced config parameter named featureType was used to change the render distance from object to terrain. It has been introduced earlier this year and is explained at https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setFeatureType and in this spotrep: https://dev.arma3.com/post/spotrep-00064 . Quoting the spotrep here:

• Added: A new "featureType" config parameter replacing "featureSize"
  • Added: A new setFeatureType script command (parameters: 0 - disable, 1 - object is always visible to object view distance, 2 - object is visible to terrain view distance, the limit is 500 for terrain / static objects and 200 for dynamic objects including config features and auto features (flying helicopters, airplanes))

We changed that on the Nimitz experimental build on 2017-04-23, the changelog is in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

2017-05-01 config, scripts
    - add JDG_dynamicAirportNimitz
2017-04-23 config, nimtech_aa, model
    - use new featureType = 2 config. removing featureSize
    - experiments with sensors for nimtech_aa
    - update carrier01 from TheSn4k3
2017-04-09 model, config, nimtech
    - reverted medical bed to thingX from car_f
    - removed patuxent from download, it's not finished yet
    - added new textures from Shockley
2017-04-01 model, config
    - remove aft wall in entrance, showing Joes's wall
    - adjust weapons elevator to new 2nd floor height
    - add geo lod mass to weapons elevator
2017-03-26 functions
    - add pictureMap of terrain to area of operation in briefing and map room
2017-03-21 aa, functions
    - update Phalanx model and textures from TheSn4k3, update shadow, geo and fire geo lods
    - update aa defenses init, use the right variable name for crewing the AA
    - have Tilly remove all Air, Land, Ship wrecks
2017-03-20 sounds, functions
    - add touchdown sound, kudos to Jones
    - call touchdown sound from arrest
2017-03-19 config, logos
    - add new logos from Odyseus
    - add author information to carrier and aligner
    - fix geo lod for aftMast hiding
2017-03-04 model, config
    - add drawbridge from Joe, animate it
2017-02-28 model, config
    - make aft mast hideable: (this getVariable 'jdg_carrier_island') animate ['aftMast', 1, true];
2017-02-27 textures, config
    - add numbers textures and Eden configuration
    - can mimick any Nimitz class carrier now
2017-02-19 scripts
    - remove leading \ from playSound3D sounds

Currently the first priority is finishing an update to the F/A-18 to give it sensors and a physx suspension. Unfortunately testing revealed that the suspension is still quite broken. Once we find work arounds and publish the F/A-18, the SU-35 comes next and finally the Nimitz will be updated. In my dreams all of these updates would have left the docks yesterday evening, but this was not achievable.

• Like 2

Hi TeTeT. Is it possible to set  forward speed for Nimitz ?I was try but  setVelocity don`t work with Nimitz

I thought nimitz is static object as it is not one piece object but combination of several. So no idea how you can set speed for such multi object stuff

6 minutes ago, Devastator_cm said:

I thought nimitz is static object as it is not one piece object but combination of several. So no idea how you can set speed for such multi object stuff

Is that mean USS freedom have the same model?

I think BI did it with single model and I believe Nimitz team might also go in that way to make a single object model which was maybe not possible in the past.

People were worried that Nimitz would stop as USS Freedom came but I believe it would have opposite effect to this mod. I expect Nimitz will become better than before as BI already made necessary adjustments in engine to have now vanilla aircraft carrier.

• Like 3

I agree fully with Devastator_cm, the appearance of the USS Freedom is a blessing for the Nimitz project. The engine has gotten some upgrade for carrier operations already, like the dynamic airport, the featureType, the working suspension on the multi object carriers. Also we now have very nice function templates from B01 for catapults and arresting wires, written in modern SQF. It will take some time to sort all of this out into a concise package, though.

While I'm not a fan of a moving carrier on the rather limited size arma maps, I understand that people are curious about it. I did some experiments with a moving Nimitz years ago and I found that there's too little time a day to pursue this moving feature and the needed bug fixes and improvements to the carrier as is. Having said that, sammael, feel free to dig through the functions viewer, take a look at Leshrack's function ttt_nimitz_updateNimitzLocation to see how to access the Nimitz sub objects through a loop and learn some SQF to get going.

I would also recommend to you to read through the construction and location update functions for the Freedom. Good luck.

• Like 4

Why does my Nimitz appear to be broken with texture gaps and other problems? I have a fresh copy from the newest up to date version.

(Reference the carrier line to the right of the shooter)

nGdX560.jpg

On 5/27/2017 at 0:49 AM, Get Trippy said:

Why does my Nimitz appear to be broken with texture gaps and other problems? I have a fresh copy from the newest up to date version.

(Reference the carrier line to the right of the shooter)

nGdX560.jpg

Same part of the issues I have with the USS Freedom.

Hello teteT love the mod. Is the boat rescue module still working. I attempted to use it can't get it to work. Unit in the water syn to module.  Module syn to carrier to Unit. What am I doing wrong please and thank you

I see the issue you updated since I used it last. The rescue boats are now in the water on each Conner of the carrier and you need to swim to them.  My I ask why did you change the system that the boat will spawn in the water drive to you and then teleport you into the boat deck area. 

I have a second question is it possible to you the boat spawn module with the option to spawn more than one type of boat. Right now you can spawn multiple boats of one kind. It would be very cool if you could spawn various boats from the boat lift area. 

@avibird 1 , the new rescue system was just a simplification over the old system and I was interested in how it works out. I've never got much feedback on the rescue system itself so I changed it to my liking.

Currently there's no way to spawn different boat types from the boat room, it would be a nice addition, though. I guess the boat sync module could be initialized with an array of boat types and at the boat room a gui for selecting any type might pop up when requesting a boat. Unfortunately I won't have any time to implement this in the foreseeable future, any takers? 

Edited by TeTeT
correct user name
  • Like 1

Good Mod! Have a some danger zone in the background, keep up the good work!

@TeTeT well the old system was just a little more eye candy ? and   technically you don't need to use the  rescue module because you have the ladder in the front of the carrier for any unit to have access back on the carrier.

Could you just list the modules that you need to be down which ones you need to syn and which ones you don't need to syn or even use like the repair catapult ect because the some of the modules work with  not putting them down on the map or syn to the units. Thanks Avibird.

9 hours ago, avibird 1 said:

@TeTeT well the only system was just a little more eye candy ? and   technically you don't need to use the  rescue module because you have the ladder in the front of the carrier for any unit to have access back on the carrier.

Could you just list the modules down which ones you need to syn and which ones you don't need to syn or even use like the repair catapult ect because the modules work with putting them down on the map or syn to the units. Thanks Avibird 

Indeed the rescue module is strictly not needed for getting aboard the carrier any longer, but I found the ladder to be brittle. Even more so than other ladders in arma. E.g. you swim up there and hope to find the sweet spot to get the action. If you don't find it, you're stuck. Also swimming from fore to aft to the ladder is a bit of a boring exercise, hence the rescue boat approach. Of course the best approach would be to call a rescue helo that hoists you out of the water after a splash ;) Any scripter willing to take that challenge?

On the modules and which ones you may need and which ones are integrated, best check out the tutorial video by Jacky:

• Like 2

I have watch it many times but it's out dated some of the modules don't need to be syn or even placed on the map. For new people use your great mod it can be a little confusing because of the number of modules you can use with the carrier.

Can you please be specific on which parts of the video are outdated? I reviewed it back in winter and I didn't notice. I agree that the number of modules is high and can be confusing. Unfortunately I have no idea which modules are used by whom for what purpose, so I cannot hide some of them.

I was wondering if its possible to find out if a player has set foot on the deck of the Nimitz?  (My mission ends when they make it there)

Where nimitz1 is the variable name of the Nimitz :

if (nimitz1 player != player) then {hint "Player is on the Nimitz"};

I haven't tried this yet, but it crossed my mind just now and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this. I'd rather use this then a trigger, so I don't have to worry with trigger heights.

Thanks,

Fire

Hi,

I think it should be possible to detect if you're on a specific object with https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/lineIntersectsWith Check the objects below the player and see if the class name (https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/typeOf) starts with JDG_. I height check below 18 meters might also make sense, though the island is at a higher height.

Good luck,

TeTeT

• Like 1