TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

love the update   :)  you do know (probably you do :P ) that some of the texures on the bridge monitors are up side down or on there side ?  :P

yet again realy love the update  :D  :D

Yes, it's a known issue. Thanks for reporting.

• Like 1

Hey TeTeT,

Thanks for this great Update it is incredibly good!

Keep up the good work!

Well even if the texture around one of the blast shields is still broken (I think it is, because there are no yellow surroundings... well ... still ^^), but i think of it as a feature by now xD

BtW: As we thought or at least hoped ( ;D ) this update has fixed my problem and I can now join my Server with both Versions without problem.

Great Mod, great update and so, keep up the good work

XylofonKobra414

hi can you please the old Nimitz Border / marker insert again?

I don't have plans for that, the new icon for Eden is supposed to stay. Any particular problem you're running into? You can also send me a PM in German if that's easier.

[this is a cross-post from http://nimitz-arma3.blogspot.de/]

With Nimitz for arma 3 0.95 out of the door, it is time to think of what is ahead for version 0.96. Currently we have a few open issues and bugs that we would like to address.

The Phalanx model has been enhanced by TheSnk4k3 and got a new set of textures, including secondary ones. It currently needs to be integrated into arma 3 properly. Also on air defenses we're re-evaluating the turning restrictions on the air defense assets, as some are still prone to hit the Nimitz itself. Some research will be done on anti missile defenses and if they are more successful than in the tests leading up to 0.95 will be included. Lastly in this area we would like to introduce a general quarters alarm that raises the alertness of the crews (set combat status to red).

Next on the list is the Tilly salvage and crash crane that is a static object right now. Making it driveable and operational in arma is quite an undertaking, we will see how far we get in the time frame for 0.96. If all goes very well it will be a fully functional carx and allow sling loading or at least attaching objects. Staying with cranes, the Nimitz crane should be made operational as well, we will be evaluating different UI approaches for it.

A new topic on the horizon are navigational aids for the Nimitz. In the form of a non-directional beacon aboard the ship it should be easier to find via a bearing indicator on aircraft. There is already a sample mission on Stratis (vanilla without Nimitz) available at http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/missions/beaconFrequency.Stratis.7z''>http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/missions/beaconFrequency.Stratis.7z'>http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/missions/beaconFrequency.Stratis.7z . Feedback is welcome.

In preparation for 0.95 we had two community members approaching us with a better IFLOLS experience, utilising arma 3 lights at the IFLOLS position on the carrier. Hopefully one of these will be made available at least as a mission if not Eden attribute for the Nimitz 0.96.

The holes that were pierced at the bow will be covered by some sort of gate, so the hull looks intact again. Via Eden attribute the opening can then be revealed when at harbour and closed when on sea.

On bug fixes the textures on the bridge will be inspected and reversed maps will be corrected. Further the bridge model will be split into separate models that hopefully can be reused for an airboss and prifly room. Unfortunately the donation campaign was not very successfull so far, so we cannot afford to source complete airboss and prifly rooms. Nevertheless thanks to the three donators who were very generous!

Foxone will provide an upgraded version of the test engine stand, which was previously dropped in 0.95. This is an all new model with upgraded textures. Again the sourcing of further ambient models hinges on further donations.

While we have no exact timing for the 0.96 release it will not land before December 2016, and is more likely to be in the first quarter of 2017.

• Like 2

Hey Tetet/Nimitz Team,

Thank you for your update/roadmap, always looking foward to it

For myself i've upped the speed the turrets rotate because from video's they seem to operate very quickly. What's your assessment on that?

And second we've noticed that the turrets respond very slowly to incoming threats even being able to land on the nimitz.

Is there a way to speed this up (CBA_fnc_addPerFrameHandler perhaps?) or is this an engine limitation?

Kind regards

Kwinno

For myself i've upped the speed the turrets rotate because from video's they seem to operate very quickly. What's your assessment on that?

And second we've noticed that the turrets respond very slowly to incoming threats even being able to land on the nimitz.

Is there a way to speed this up (CBA_fnc_addPerFrameHandler perhaps?) or is this an engine limitation?

Kind regards

Kwinno

Kwinno, we made the air defenses very close to vanilla air defense assets, without any special treatment. How did you increase the turret rotation speed, out of interest?

I believe one could raise the alertness with setCombatMode Red and hopefully they react a bit sooner then? The air defense units are found in the array TTT_nimitz_defenses. Of course it would be nice to have an air defense solution where targets are engaged BVR, like in pookie's SAM pack. I'll investigate in this area, though the integrated missile defense comes first.

TeTeT

I wouldn't do a per-frame EH.  That would suck FPS.  Tet I sent you a PM.

Kwinno, we made the air defenses very close to vanilla air defense assets, without any special treatment. How did you increase the turret rotation speed, out of interest?

I believe one could raise the alertness with setCombatMode Red and hopefully they react a bit sooner then? The air defense units are found in the array TTT_nimitz_defenses. Of course it would be nice to have an air defense solution where targets are engaged BVR, like in pookie's SAM pack. I'll investigate in this area, though the integrated missile defense comes first.

TeTeT

I really hope i don't embarras myself but i'm sure they move faster by adding

maxHorizontalRotSpeed=20;
maxVerticalRotSpeed=20;
to every turret "class MainTurret: NewTurret" (we uped it quite a bit, i think it defaults to 1.2)
  • Like 1

Just downloaded this and I'm having a problem.

When I spawn an empty helicopter on the deck and order an infantry unit to board it, the unit tries to get in and then just makes endless circles. I've also tried spawning a helicopter with me as the pilot, ordering the copilot out, and telling him to reboard. he can dismount but not reboard. is this a common bug? I'm pretty sure the spawn heights are ok as i can get in, out, and fly without a problem.

Trout

Trouty, there are no ai paths on the Nimitz, so AI will not be able to use it effectively.

kwinno, thanks for the entries, I'll give it a try.

I'm currently trying to use the ace_refuel-actions with the "fuel pump", but either I'm too blind or it's not that obvious, but... how does it work? I don't get any actions at the tubes in front of the island.

Nevermind... You have to place the "fuel station" of course...

A server admin reported that the Nimitz in his mod pack causes an out of memory error on the server within 24-48 hours. Together with hcpookie I looked into the issue yesterday evening and today and isolated the problem to the attachTo command uses in the init air defenses function, for example:

_v attachTo [_nimspots, [0,2,1], "AA1"];

Placing the air defense units without attachTo on the carrier seems to solve the issue.

I'm looking for one or two server admins that are willing to test the latest experimental build on their servers to see if the issue is resolved. Please drop me a PM if interested.

As a work around I suggest to disable the anti air crew placement via the Eden attribute of the Nimitz. Attaching the empty launchers does not trigger the bug, it is the AI crew.

In vanilla I couldn't reproduce the problem with a dozen HEMMT and titan launchers. Titan launchers on the Nimitz with attachTo triggered the bug as well. 

I was running it on 16GB RAM w/o a page file.  When it happens I never got a crash.  I saw FPS drop significantly, down to about 4-5 FPS.  Was very easy to notice :)

The CPU will hit 100% briefly, and a Procmon trace will show the arma3 executable loading up the directx DLL's, which is curious.  I can't speculate why this happens at that instant.  It doesn't have any other signs in RPT or otherwise.

A brief update: The removal of attachTo seems to have solved the memory leak problem. The new problem now is that the air defenses are prone to fall overboard. Anyway, expect a bug fix release for the memory leak and the CUP incompatibility soon.

• Like 3

Here comes the Nimitz for Arma 3 0.96 release. This is a bug fix release. Thanks to a user report by PM we got aware of a memory leak. After some debugging this was tracked down to the attachTo function of manned air defense units. In this release the air defenses are merely using setPos to be placed on the carrier. Another problem was the use of the CUP namespace in the Nimitz. Initially intended to give full credit to the original script author, this backfired as I left it in the CUP namespace.

Some improvements were also done. Based on user request the aa defense turret speed is now a magnitude greater. The wires model was partially redone so there should be less visual problems when deploying them. There is a new mempoint called 'cameraMast' for future PiP mode on the bridge. Some textures on the bridge were inverted, so they render properly now and not upside down. Note that some are still displayed sideways. Lastly there is a new option to disable the cat launch post processing effects.

The changelog since the last release is rather short, the full changelog is available at http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/Changelog.txt

2016-10-17 model, scripts

- option to disable cat launch post processing effects

- change geo, road and physx lod in carrier_1, carrier_14

- change air defense mem points in nimspots

- add setVectorUp to air defense

2016-10-16 bridge, scripts, air defenses, model

- inverted some textures

- add setPos to air defenses

- add setVelocity to air defense

- change geo lod in carrier_1

- create heavy baseplate on each air defense model

- change air defense mem points in nimspots

2016-10-11 model

- add mem point cameraMast for videos

2016-10-08 scripts, air defense

- do not use attachTo for air defenses, causes a memory leak

- removed CUP functions due to name conflict

- increased speed of aa defense turrets

- fix wires

The mirrors are currently being updated, stay tuned:

o Armaholic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23049

o PWS: http://withsix.com/p/Arma-3/mods/uNhyW95L4xGkDwAVF72WTA/USS-Nimitz

If you're interested in following the development, feel free to join the discord at https://discord.gg/tSJRQkw 

The release video is available at 

Edited by TeTeT
  • Like 5

Thanks for the update TeTeT, and for the very informative video as always. :)

I had no idea you can get the AI to land on the ship! Once it lands does it just sit in the same position like in the video or is it possible to make it move and park somewhere to allow additional landings?

Outstanding stuff

So quick question....

I was playing around with the ambiance module and enabled the ambient flight takeoffs and landings.

Very very cool stuff..except the the towing tractor won't tow the jet.

The elevator goes down..it grabs a jet..comes up...the tractor backs up to the plane...a message pops up in bottom left that says "can't tow" then the tractor drives like it is towing the plane....the plane then warps over to the catapult...and launches off the carrier.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I have Lesh's towing, Peral airfield logistics, F-18 all enabled.  Everything works except the "can't tow" animation part.

I had no idea you can get the AI to land on the ship! Once it lands does it just sit in the same position like in the video or is it possible to make it move and park somewhere to allow additional landings?

Thanks for the kind words. Currently there's no function to do that builtin, your best bet is to read ttt_nimitzfunctions/fn_ambiance/fn_flightOps.sqf and go from there.

Very very cool stuff..except the the towing tractor won't tow the jet.

The elevator goes down..it grabs a jet..comes up...the tractor backs up to the plane...a message pops up in bottom left that says "can't tow" then the tractor drives like it is towing the plane....the plane then warps over to the catapult...and launches off the carrier.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I have Lesh's towing, Peral airfield logistics, F-18 all enabled.  Everything works except the "can't tow" animation part.

Thanks :) I haven't tested the flight ops module in quite a while now, quite possible something's broken by now. I'll look into it.

autigergrad, I get some script errors when using ambiance 1, but the towing and launch works. What version of Lesh's towing mod are you using? The latest should be 0.4, available for example from http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29737

Also did you load CBA?

As noted on Steam, there's a bug with disable post processing on cat launch script.

Please use the following as a work around in the Nimitz init box or your init.sqf:

TTT_disablePPCat = false; publicVariable "TTT_disablePPCat";

Thanks for the work mate, did a short vid of your template for people to get a quick idea of the work, cheers. 

• Like 2