TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

hey TeTeT,
is there a way to use the catapult/arresting cables with say - the F/A18-E/F in a locally hosted server (not dedicated)?
currently only the host can use those two action while the joining player doesn't have any option.
is there some module to be synced with the players? or those actions only work on dedicated sever?

Thank and keep up the good work.

is there a way to use the catapult/arresting cables with say - the F/A18-E/F in a locally hosted server (not dedicated)?

currently only the host can use those two action while the joining player doesn't have any option.

is there some module to be synced with the players? or those actions only work on dedicated sever?

The auto sync does not seem to work for JIP players. I called remoteExec without JIP support, that's probably the problem. Hopefully it works when players join at mission start.

You can still use the old module system of Flightdeck and Hangar and sync planes that way. Though I just got an error report that the heights of the unit are reset when JIP happens ...

• Like 1

There should be no difference if you spawn the Nimitz as BLUFOR or empty. I do almost all my testing with empty, though, but that's probably just a personal preference.

Thanks for the info TeTeT :)

Thank you so much for your work TeTeT. Its freakin awesome and Im looking forward for your future updates. 

The auto sync does not seem to work for JIP players. I called remoteExec without JIP support, that's probably the problem. Hopefully it works when players join at mission start.

You can still use the old module system of Flightdeck and Hangar and sync planes that way. Though I just got an error report that the heights of the unit are reset when JIP happens ...

Thanks i'll check it out.

After a break from modding in November, we're back for more improvements to the Nimitz. Currently we're pushing in different directions, trying to add more and updated models (test engine stand, mk29 sea sparrow launcher, water access platform), improving the textures (hangar foremost) and updating the scripts (dedicated server compatibility, ambiance module overhaul). Also I've written a short blog post on the different known issues (http://nimitz-arma3.blogspot.de/) and the likeliness of seeing them resolved for 0.94 beta.

Currently the scripts still use a lot of heritage global public variables back from arma2. We would like to streamline these names (prefix them with TTT_) or get rid of some public variables altogether. However, that may affect scripts used by third parties. Please let us know if you're dependent on any of these: nimCatJet, soundOff, JDG_steamFX and NimitzCrew. There will be more global variables affected by changes, though. If you use any please let me know by PM or in this thread. Thanks.

Hi TeTe we spoke long ago about the IFLOLS.

I was wondering if you could (or allready have) memorypoints on the light positions.

That may enable to you have a realistic IFLOLS when you use 3dSymbols on these memory points. Instead of using acual lights (because they only show up at night.

I also have adjusted numers for the IFLOLS light. The originap ones bring you in far too low due to a calculation error.

I did OLS for HMS Victorious based on IFLOLS script connected with hide/unhide animation of emmisive textures placed just ahead of the lights of the system. The OLS work in daylight as well. On the footage below it's visible at 00:39,

https://youtu.be/aNj2bJz9xE8

I was wondering if you could (or allready have) memorypoints on the light positions.

That may enable to you have a realistic IFLOLS when you use 3dSymbols on these memory points. Instead of using acual lights (because they only show up at night.

I also have adjusted numers for the IFLOLS light. The originap ones bring you in far too low due to a calculation error.

No, there are no memory points on the light positions yet, but it's a good idea. I'll see what can be done. 

On the adjusted numbers for the IFLOLS, I received a patch from John Crielaard (is that you?) and that's integrated in the IFLOLS functions since July 2014. I unfortunately forgot to add John to the credits, will do that right away.

NightIntruder, interesting concept! Maybe we can add it to Nimitz as well?

I am messing around with Alive. And I am trying something, but I don't know if it is possible. I would like to create an Alive scenario where I have one or more AI combat planes (or multiple planes) as support starting from the Nimitz, and when I use the CAS Support module to call them in, they take off from the Nimitz and after that, land again.

Now I was trying to work it out, but I failed. I have a feeling this is not (yet) plausible?

On the adjusted numbers for the IFLOLS, I received a patch from John Crielaard (is that you?) and that's integrated in the IFLOLS functions since July 2014. I unfortunately forgot to add John to the credits, will do that right away.

lol yeah thats me.

We never used the IFLOLS because we were unaware my changes were intergrated. :)

You can credit me but you dont have to.

I gain enough 'credits' with VBS. :D

euros actually.

Hello,

I have a asking, the Sync ingame Modul its very nice. its that a Mod? I need this for "airfieldlogistik" :D

Georilla, currently there's no way to connect a Nimitz based plane to the Alive support system. I did some experiments with the Flight Ops module and the standard arma support provider module. That worked basically, though the plane would land on a land based airfield rather than return to the Nimitz after the mission.

87th_neptune, thanks for sharing the info on the lights, once the IFLOLS system is re-done this will come handy.

john85oc, the auto sync is not a mod, it's a script run from the init script of the Nimitz.

While development of the Nimitz was slower than expected in the past two months, still quite a few things happened. First and foremost the next version will be another alpha, this time versioned as 0.95. The reason behind that is that we now have Leshrack aboard who gives the scripts a much needed refreshement, especially with use on dedicated server, Zeus and 3DEN.

Which is part of the good news: Leshrack has found a way to place the Nimitz and alter its settings for 3DEN. The code is alive in the experimental build and is currently been tested with the dev build of arma3. Unfortunately it's not backward compatible with the current 1.54 stable release, so 0.95 alpha will be released once the next arma3 update rolls out.

The 0.95 alpha also improves the catapult script, so vanilla airplanes or such without a working suspension on the Nimitz are less likely to get damaged upon take off. Note that this slightly breaks immersion, as the plane is elevated slightly above the flight deck and accelerated from there.

Next on the list of improvements is a new parking script, following Tupolovs ideas for the CUP LHD. It will be possible to spawn different planes at different parking positions. With the advent of the F-14 and possibly more carrier based planes in the future, the old ambiance module is probably not flexible enough anymore.

Further work was done on the internal lights, which are still script based. Also the water access platform received an update, so it should be usable for soldiers now.

On the future list of improvements for post 0.95 alpha are a revamp of the interaction system. Currently the action menu is used solely for interacting with the Nimitz. We plan to create a key based system where a key binding will control the cat and arrest wire and other functions. This will hopefully remove the need for syncing or auto-syncing, which can be quite a performance hog.

Still on our TODO list are items such as the sea sparrow launcher, an integrated long range radar script, and a few other items mentioned on http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/WISHLIST

• Like 2

its not a big thing but it kinda bothers me. in the information panel just below the main deck where you have basic information about the boat, you have its home port listed as Naval Base Everett, in Everett, WA. this is no longer correct. it has Moved to PSNS and its home port is now Naval Base Kitsap,  PSNS Bremerton. in Bermerton WA. its just a minor error and of course it means very little, but i just thought the correct info should be shown.

here is a link for your information.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=85180

Hi, Nimitz will be able to shutdown incoming missiles,rockets? I think a shame the original game does not have a vehicle or something that can shutdown missiles, rockets and artillery this would open as many games possibilities for the players.

If you want to,you could add a car from the Armscore mod called Spaam,missile carrier.  It tracks aircraft well.It just needs a little updating to enable the missiles and there are one AA-gun dual guns.

At least as a temp. solution.

Great to see you still updating this carrier, it is a must for my missions. 

Great job!

Vengeance

Roofus0052, thanks for the information! While I do not have the original graphics file for the bulletin board, an update of the forefront would be good to have. Did you spot any other inaccuracies? I admit I just run by that area. If you're good with graphics, I'm open for contributions for an update info bulletin graphics there.

john1, thanks for pointing out defensive armament options, appreciated!

Vengeance1, no worries, I hope that the new Eden editor will make mission making even easier for the Nimitz, when you actually see where you place stuff.

Speaking of Eden, I made some experiments with it and a parking module dubbed Ambiance 3 (who would have thought of that naming :). It works, but only very crudely: The module places empty planes at pre-defined parking spots of the carrier and the planes can then be further edited from within Eden. Unfortunately the module will do that happily again and again on each mission and Eden editor start, so you have to remove it immediately after usage. Also the planes custom init is not run, for some reason Eden places the init line as string in the init box. In other words: The planes do neither spawn empty nor with folded wings.

Another problem was brought to my attention lately: When one crash lands a jet on the flight deck and it explodes, planes parked in the hangar will explode after a short while too. I tried to introduce some sort of firewall between the flightdeck and the hangar, but to make a long story short, it does not work. While the firewall works when placed vertically between two planes (only one explodes), it doesn't work when place horizontally. The plane on the hangar level will slowly accumulate damage until it explodes.

Finally coming to the stuff that works better: The new init system by Leshrack works very well in Eden. As you've read above I've spent quite some time in the Editor now and as long as I did just place the carrier and change it's direction it just works fine. Unfortunately dragging and dropping or moving it on the map does not work so well, often the carrier will end up submerged. But that's probably a feature of Eden rather than a deficit of the init script :)

• Like 1

Eagerly awaiting for next Alpha. Cant place nimitz no more now that Eden is here :p.

With the new arma3 1.56 release the 3D Eden editor has arrived. Time for us to update the Nimitz as well and thanks to Leshrack's relentless efforts the Nimitz is compatible with the new editor. But not only him but others have contributed too: Neptune[LLW] did fix the IFLOLS system a long time ago, but never received proper credits; Tupolov shared his parking scripts for the LHD with us; Foxone provided a new icon for the ambiance module; Janus supplied a new icon for the Nimitz, showing the new hangar layout more properly.

The changes since start of November, when 0.94 alpha 2 was released, include fixes for the water access platform, fixes to the only single player compatible light system, added a new test engine stand that still needs texturing, add new modules ambiance 2 and ambiance 3 for configurable plane types and in ambiance 3 basic Eden support, add configurable vehicle parking scripts, alter the cat launch process to give vanilla planes a higher vertical launch vector, lifting them over the bumps in the deck, addition of CUP parking scripts, multiplayer fix for the elevators, animate the feelers/antennas and repair the JBD4 texture slightly.

Some more detailed release notes on the changes:

o the carrier is freely placeable and moveable in Eden. Be aware that dragging the Nimitz in map view will most likely sink it...
o [false] call TTT_fnc_feelers; removes the antennas from the first Nimitz carrier on map
o Ambiance 3 is very early work in progress. You need to remove the module after the planes are placed, otherwise it will be executed upon any changes in Eden
o engine sound seems to be broken, we're working on a fix
o the TTT_fnc_park* functions are inspired by Tupolov's parking scripts for the CUP LHD

Last we're looking to get some help in the modelling and texturing department. When you check the known issues list (http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/KNOWNISSUES.txt) you'll see we have quite a few challenges up there. We're looking for long term commitment of several weeks to months, rather than helping out an hour here and there.

The release video is here: 

Edited by TeTeT
  • Like 5

WastedMike1, here you go, thanks to Leshrack for hosting it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6KL-i_lu_1idUk2cUFlSDhCZms/view?usp=sharing

Some important information that's missing from the release notes:

The carrier needs 1.56 to work now, it's not backward compatible.

Edited by TeTeT

TeTeT,

Nice Job!  Really appreciate all your teams hard work on this Carrier.  Great update video.

Vengeance