TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

Had the same issue. If you place the Iowa Battleship next to the Carrier, it crashes. Massive FR hit.

Iwoa is the problem i think

I just downloaded the Iowa and placed it besides the Nimitz and experienced no crash. I get a warning that battleship_detail_fowarddeck2_mask.paa is not found, but that's it. Can someone that experiences the crash shed some more light if the Nimitz and the scripts for it are related to the crash at all?

I can also confirm no crash. 7 ships in my carrier strike group, iowa next to nimitz, full airwing on deck, max video settings no issues. Small framerate hit but not really a problem

I just downloaded the Iowa and placed it besides the Nimitz and experienced no crash. I get a warning that battleship_detail_fowarddeck2_mask.paa is not found, but that's it. Can someone that experiences the crash shed some more light if the Nimitz and the scripts for it are related to the crash at all?

WooooooooooooW TeTeT it's been a while! how have you been?

Edited by kgino1045

I will run more tests tonite, it was probably a combination between IOWA and maybe Alive, but it is just an speculation at the moment. Will let u know later. Good to see you back TeTeT.

I will run more tests tonite, it was probably a combination between IOWA and maybe Alive, but it is just an speculation at the moment. Will let u know later. Good to see you back TeTeT.

Hmm, Alive means you use a multiplayer server most likely? I read in the Iowa thread that this might be the core cause.

@kgino1045, I check the forums ever so often and the crash report got my attention. Might be that the engine changed so much that the Nimitz would blow up ;)

Not sure if it helps... Just to throw my 2cents back in...

Nimitz + ALiVE + online MP, works great with our games.

It was just when adding the Battleship as the group for atmosphere, it would lock up or crash. There was another thread showing when you add big ships next to each other it would display wonky behavior.

We have been using Nimitz a lot lately to start our Black Ops from as a staging area, complete with a template that packs the ship full of stuff, and all is working good.

Hi our unit lately started using The Nimitz on our missions and usually it works fine on our dedicated servers except for when we are playing with over 10+ players, then usually all of the F/A-18 on the deck explodes as soon as they load in. But the ones in the hangar stays intact. Does anyone have Nimitz template that works with a lot of players?

Also we found out that the WSO Laser designator does not work with the F/A-18's from the nimitz ambient template module.

Hi our unit lately started using The Nimitz on our missions and usually it works fine on our dedicated servers except for when we are playing with over 10+ players, then usually all of the F/A-18 on the deck explodes as soon as they load in. But the ones in the hangar stays intact. Does anyone have Nimitz template that works with a lot of players?

That is strange, but I never tested the Nimitz with 10+ players, it was pretty much me on a dedicated server. While I didn't play with it, this template seems to fill the carrier nicely:

https://staging.steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=339249668 Hope it works in multiplayer as well, it's editor based so should be fine.

Also we found out that the WSO Laser designator does not work with the F/A-18's from the nimitz ambient template module.

When you place it via the editor it works? What happens when you spawn it script wise, does it work then?

TeTeT

Sooo....I'm guessing your gonna continue working on Old Salt (the Nimitz)....Maybe...Hopefully...

Sooo....I'm guessing your gonna continue working on Old Salt (the Nimitz)....Maybe...Hopefully...

A small team has gathered to improve the Nimitz considerably. No news on a release date yet, though.

However can u tell, please the future features or other improvement on the Nimitz? :) Thanks for your work on Carrier TeTeT!

Currently work has been done and is under way on these main areas:

1. New sounds by sjones17, for elevator and cat. Engine sound available too, but question is how to integrate it
  2. New textures by Odyseus, flightdeck and hull is almost complete
  3. Use of Arma2 LHD textures for the interior, half way done, by Odyseus
  4. New internal layout in multiple p3d files, reducing the max size of each lod, by Odyseus

We hope that with the internal layout the likeliness of falling through invisible 'cracks' is reduced. Also we take care to separate the road, geo and res lods vertically, so they don't interfere. That will hopefully result in a smoother flightdeck experience for some planes. It however does not mean that aircraftx planes will be able to use the carrier.

Unfortunately the new internal layout also means that some third party scripts are likely to break. I will try to provide some compatibility objects in the carrier, so for example jdg_carrier4 is still at the aft section (currently it's fore).

TeTeT

Great to hear that work is being done on this mod. If you need some testers hit me up, can get 6-10 people together on a dedicated to test things pretty easily.

Currently work has been done and is under way on these main areas:

1. New sounds by sjones17, for elevator and cat. Engine sound available too, but question is how to integrate it
  2. New textures by Odyseus, flightdeck and hull is almost complete
  3. Use of Arma2 LHD textures for the interior, half way done, by Odyseus
  4. New internal layout in multiple p3d files, reducing the max size of each lod, by Odyseus

We hope that with the internal layout the likeliness of falling through invisible 'cracks' is reduced. Also we take care to separate the road, geo and res lods vertically, so they don't interfere. That will hopefully result in a smoother flightdeck experience for some planes. It however does not mean that aircraftx planes will be able to use the carrier.

Unfortunately the new internal layout also means that some third party scripts are likely to break. I will try to provide some compatibility objects in the carrier, so for example jdg_carrier4 is still at the aft section (currently it's fore).

TeTeT

Thanks for all of your info TeTeT, :) very appreciated. If I can suggest an idea, can you place (with or standalone) a set of carrier objective? I mean some hely, plane or other thinghs that could be placed on it like non-usable object? I mean a fake f-18, fake Sh-60, Fake E-2 etc etc. Not useful I know, but eye candy I guess :cool:

Not to be a Debby Downer, Howerver, I have to ask.

I know from reading that the ship is actually multiple peaces put together to make it look like one ship... And I know that a ARMA DEV has posted how to fix this and make the ship, act as though its one piece. instead of several. and from what i read it was a daunting task..

are there any plans on fixing these problems or are all the current fixes purely cosmetic (ie sounds, textures, etc) And i dont mean that question in any neg. connotation.

i know i am not speaking for myself when i say I APPRECIATE ANY WORK ON ANY MOD FOR ARMA.....

i do use the nimitz every now and again. I am experienced with its problems. Just wondering if these issues were also in the works. AGAIN THANKS WHO EVER IS WORKING ON THESE NEW FEATURES. but it breaks my ARMA heart to see the real root issues with the nimitz not being addressed. Are there any plans to update the ships structure, or is that not on the table at all ?

Edited by Lordprimate

... If I can suggest an idea, can you place (with or standalone) a set of carrier objective?...

Currently there are no plans for that, sorry. But I agree it would be nice to have more carrier typical objects available.

I know from reading that the ship is actually multiple peaces put together to make it look like one ship... And I know that a ARMA DEV has posted how to fix this and make the ship, act as though its one piece. instead of several. and from what i read it was a daunting task..

Interesting, I missed that post it seems. Can you point to it? Is it recommending to use proxy technology? I made some experiment with that and the naive attempt to join all pieces via multiple proxies in one object didn't exactly work - the geo and road lod was missing, as if it was one big object.

are there any plans on fixing these problems or are all the current fixes purely cosmetic (ie sounds, textures, etc)

Odyseus is actually dividing the carrier in all new parts, to address the falling through invisible 'cracks' problem. So far it looks promising, but the work is not nearly complete there. We take great care that the road, geometry and res lods are all on separate height levels, so interference between them should be minimized (invisible walls and what not).

The 'cosmetic' upgrades are part of this overall mix. We hope to deliver a refreshed static carrier experience with the next update.

But to be clear, this update is not an all new carrier with physX support and drivable and other gimmicks.

TeTeT

Currently there are no plans for that, sorry. But I agree it would be nice to have more carrier typical objects available.

TeTeT

Oh ok. Thanks again :) have a good work on Nimitz!

A short video showing the work in progress carrier. The flightdeck operations are possible now, albeit the wires are glitched. It is based on the old traffic mission, which has been updated for the new carrier layout:

A few screenshots:

TeTeT

A short video showing the work in progress carrier. The flightdeck operations are possible now, albeit the wires are glitched. It is based on the old traffic mission, which has been updated for the new carrier layout

I almost cried like a little girl looking at this video...I want this !!! :D

That looks really good. I'm looking so much forward to get this Baby. Since the Nimitz is out I'm looking for updates. I just love carriers! >.<

I almost cried like a baby girl when I saw this :o !!! I mean, I'm sooo happy!!!

I've been playing around with the Nimitz for a couple of months now and I'm working on a couple (simple) scripts. I have one that will allow a player to move a vehicle to an elevator, instead of having to tow it there. I also have one I call 'Stations' that allows you to teleport to different areas of the ship, instead of running there.

I do have a couple of questions: Why do some vehicles, the AH-99 and the ATV in particular, fall through the elevators when going up, from the hangar?

Also, the Rescue module gives me an error, "Undefined variable in expression: ttt_syncrescue.sqf", and will not teleport the player back to the ship? Not sure if it is a module problem or the function.

Thanks for all the hard work on this terrific mod!!

Great work TeTeT, I like that you and the team is addressing not only the visual part of the model but also the functionality. Looking forward to next update.

Edited by John_Spartan
typo