TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

@TeteT

Thanks for the new code to try. Unfortunately, still only works in Editor and Hosted, not Dedicated hosted :(. Maybe the server doesn't understand the TTT_fnc's?

code I used:

if (_vehicle isKindOf "plane") then

{ if (!(_vehicle isKindOf "JS_JC_FA18")) then

{

[[_vehicle], "TTT_fnc_syncTailhook", player, true] call BIS_fnc_MP;

};

hint "fixing catapult";

[[_vehicle, ObjNull], "TTT_fnc_syncCatapult", player, true] call BIS_fnc_MP;

[[_vehicle], "TTT_fnc_syncFuelAction", player, true] call BIS_fnc_MP;

[[_vehicle], "TTT_fnc_syncIFLOLS", player, true] call BIS_fnc_MP;

};

@zach72, I sometimes had the same impression - that the server doesn't want to understand my code. Anyway, here is a sample mission with a sync after respawn:

http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/%5bMP%5dsimpleBlowup.Altis.pbo

Init.sqf, a very hacked up respawn ... just for testing:

if (isDedicated) then {
 [] spawn {
   private ["_pos", "_dir", "_v"];
   _pos = getPos RespawnMe;
   _dir = getDir RespawnMe;
   sleep 20;
   // waitUntil {!alive RespawnMe};
   RespawnMe setDamage 1;
   diag_log "Respawning";
   sleep 5;
   deleteVehicle RespawnMe;
   sleep 5;
   _v = "JS_JC_FA18E" createVehicle _pos;
   _v setDir _dir;
   // [_v, 20] call TTT_fnc_syncSimple;
   [[_v, 20], "TTT_fnc_syncSimple", true, true] call BIS_fnc_MP;
   diag_log "synced";
 };
} else {
 waitUntil {alive player};
 hint "Wait for the plane to blow up and get replaced";
};

Made some progress on the traffic mission and with the v09 carrier it ought to work, beta available here:

http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/%5bSP%5dNimitzTraffic.Stratis.pbo

There are two cam scripts included, a very early modified version of SmartCam for ArmA3 by Rydygier and my own attempt, based on Rydygier's idea of automatic camera control but much less versatile. Both scripts sometimes loose focus and have problems on their own, so you're welcome to use the cam script of your choice with the mission. If you find the perfect one, let me know :) Rydygier's SmartCam script can be exited by any keypress, my script by using Escape.

[edit]The mission requires the John_Spartan/Saul F/A-18 and FUTARM Maritime Units by BloodOfTheScribe.

The mission itself also could use some further polishing, besides the shortcomings like the rather awkward taxiing process. The deck is currently a single resource but could be split into parts for more rapid taxiing. The approach is kind of hacked, as the plane teleports, flying it would be more nice.

I wonder if there's interest in a mission where the player controls the carrier traffic? So the requests by the AI would have to be answered by the player somehow, either radio menu or via GUI.

I will like to use these script in the editor in SP as the AI fighter jets would engage the enemy especially with a mod like ALiVE. Is it possible for you to post a version (SQM) that does not have the camera work? One could just park this system and use it as combat support. This could become a mini mod. Maybe a way to set in userconfig how far apart the take offs are, etc. Once we get other fighter jets from other mods, ability to mix and match, etc. Thanks in advance TeTeT.

I must say love the work you've done. However I wouldn't say this is a Nimitz class carrier - I think it would be closer to a Midway-class aircraft carrier like USS Coral Sea.
I was stationed on a CVN for 4 years and I don't see an issue with it.

I will like to use these script in the editor in SP as the AI fighter jets would engage the enemy especially with a mod like ALiVE. Is it possible for you to post a version (SQM) that does not have the camera work? One could just park this system and use it as combat support. This could become a mini mod. Maybe a way to set in userconfig how far apart the take offs are, etc. Once we get other fighter jets from other mods, ability to mix and match, etc. Thanks in advance TeTeT.

I figured it out. Use it successfully with HAL from Ryd. ALiVE breaks it. Thanks for making this awesome mission.

I was stationed on a CVN for 4 years and I don't see an issue with it.

It's fairly simple actually - Jump in the cockpit of an aircraft, your altitude shows at only 18 meters - Scaling is a little off.

I figured it out. Use it successfully with HAL from Ryd. ALiVE breaks it. Thanks for making this awesome mission.

Wow, nice. Any details? So the planes wait in the hangar until requested by HAL and start then? Or do they just start and cruise around until they are needed? I'd love to have air support from a carrier for my HAL operations. I'm a bit of a lazy pilot myself, but I love watching the AI taking off from the Nimitz.

I just commented out the camera portions. The aircraft carrier package does it's thing....planes take off. I believe HAL have them engage some targets, they then come back for a landing once Salt OKs it. I use Ryd script in unit to exclude the crewmen else they walk into the ocean.

I am just learning to look around these scripts trying to learn. Maybe one day I can create something for the community to enjoy.

Here's the test with HAL and the Nimitz Traffic

I tried to use it with ALiVE and once the ALiVE modules initialize its like a second Nimitz spawns into the existing one and all the planes and crewmen disappear. I could ask the ALiVE team that question on their forum.

I do have a question for TeTet. It looks like after all the planes go on one mission and land back and get stowed away nothing else happens. Is it possible to just loop the whole thing so it persists?

Edited by sttosin

@Dravinist, is the flightdeck height wildly off or just a meter or two?

@sttosin, for having the planes on station longer, check the FlightFunctions\fn_flightpath.sqf function. In the mission they are just flying a circle. I noticed the AI wandering into the ocean as well and removed them. If you need to place AI it's best to disable Anim or have them execute some animation endlessly, like in the ambiance module. On endless traffic, the main loop should task a new flight every 30 seconds as long as the Nimitz is alive. If this loop stops it's most likely that a resource was not freed correctly. If that happens to you, you can change debug to true in TeTeT_traffic/DebugFunctions/Debug.h and get some additional info.

Sorry the measurement I was looking at was keel to flight deck - Did not look at displacement. 18 meters is correct - My mistake.

@sttosin, for having the planes on station longer, check the FlightFunctions\fn_flightpath.sqf function. In the mission they are just flying a circle. I noticed the AI wandering into the ocean as well and removed them. If you need to place AI it's best to disable Anim or have them execute some animation endlessly, like in the ambiance module. On endless traffic, the main loop should task a new flight every 30 seconds as long as the Nimitz is alive. If this loop stops it's most likely that a resource was not freed correctly. If that happens to you, you can change debug to true in TeTeT_traffic/DebugFunctions/Debug.h and get some additional info.

Thanks TeTeT. I will give those suggestions a try.

I just commented out the camera portions. The aircraft carrier package does it's thing....planes take off. I believe HAL have them engage some targets, they then come back for a landing once Salt OKs it. I use Ryd script in unit to exclude the crewmen else they walk into the ocean.

I am just learning to look around these scripts trying to learn. Maybe one day I can create something for the community to enjoy.

Here's the test with HAL and the Nimitz Traffic

I tried to use it with ALiVE and once the ALiVE modules initialize its like a second Nimitz spawns into the existing one and all the planes and crewmen disappear. I could ask the ALiVE team that question on their forum.

I do have a question for TeTet. It looks like after all the planes go on one mission and land back and get stowed away nothing else happens. Is it possible to just loop the whole thing so it persists?

It just hit me and I tested it. It works with ALiVE if you select in the Profile system modules - "Only Profile Synched Units."

TeTeT, below is a discussion I was having with the ALiVE devs...any suggestions?

I have coded the SUP_TRANSPORT to be able to use the Nimitz as it's base by adding a spawn height option into the module, this works without issue and the transport Heli will RTB to the Nimitz and land.

However in the LAND Command I have coded it so that it does not land in the water, you are probably getting a sidechat message saying "Unable to Land at coordinates. Out". There is a check in the code to ensure that heli does not attempt to land on the water.

Unfortunately it looks like the deck of the Nimitz is not being recognised, but just the water it is sitting on top of, I'm afraid there is nothing I can do as this is the config of the Nimitz.

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

@sttosin, the flightdeck is actually like a building rooftop - not sure Arma choppers can land their without scripting? You might try to place a helipad at the flightdeck height or a bit above and see if the AI actually touches down. In one of the ambiance missions I tried to have the choppers land but it wasn't really successful.

When I used the Nimitz as a LHD with HAL (couldn't get the planes to work properly yet) my choppers worked without any issues. I just synced both the chopper and a invisible helipad with the flight deck module and so far they where able to land. Tested it with the Ghosthawk and the Hummingbird. I also set HAL's LZ option to "true", so I think the landing waypoint was set on the helipads.

Hi Tetet,

Just a small question, are there any plans to include some ambient carrier sounds? Currently I'm just using the default BIS sea ambient effect but some deep humming (or what ever sound a nuclear carrier makes) noises would be good.

Also I'm still having problems getting modules to work on dedicated server. Is there any solution to this that I may of missed?

Thanks

@rory_pamphilon, interesting thought on the ambient sounds, I'll investigate. On the module not working on dedicated server, can you provide some additional info? Like a small sample mission that illustrates the problem. From my testing it works quite well, though if you forget to add to sync the Towing module to something the high level modules tend to break.

I may be doing something wrong but it doesnt seem to work, and hasnt ever worked, on a dedicated server with my mission..

http://www.filedropper.com/topgun064

I just checked and towing is synced to carrier ok. Planes are synced to flightdeck yet I get no option for catapult when using a dedicated server.

If you want a more simple mission I can get that to you soon.

Thanks

@rory_pamphilon, I just tested your mission on a dedicated server and the catapults worked fine for me. I saw one error with the rescue module in the logs and fixed that in http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/ttt_nimitzfunctions.pbo

I got some script errors from the mission, maybe you can fix init.sqf and just call [] execVM "marker-blu.sqf" once instead for any defined figure?

On the catapult problem, maybe our servers are configured differently and hence the catapults don't work for you? Does your server log contain any entry like 'Flight deck activated" and "Syncing <unit name>"? Maybe the mod does not load correctly on your server?

Hello everyone, I am new on the forum.

I need help, I would like to know, how to take off and land from aircraft driven by AI on the nimitz, thanks for the help, your mod and 'fantastic, sorry for my bad english :D

@Hutch1111, best you look at the traffic mission and the folder for take off and landing. It's quite heavily scripted as the AI will not recognize the Nimitz as landing strip at all...

Hi.

I like to say that We/I love your nimitz carrier and hope to use it in our clan in the near future. ;)

As you are aware of there, are a few known issues.

After testing I just like to incurage you to first of all focus upon the issue regarding that people fall though the carrier, since that is the "bug" that most people I have tested with think is a game breaker, while we often do not notise or experience the other known issues. What I want to say is yes we see f18s jump a little here and there ect. but we can go from a-b and it is playable as long as we do not fall though the floor. :)

We look forward using your carrier in the future, great work ;-)

Sincerely Peder.

the biggest thing that is stopping my clan from using this mod is the invisible cracks that you can fall through. Other than that its a great mod love the towing and launch catapult.

Hi.

Very grat job with that, I and a lot of people loved it but I have a little problem when i want to use it with the "ALIVE" mod, when I put the "ALIVE" military base module, and other and, the Nimitz with all the modules... the Nimitz just double, and the aircrafts and all disapeer. :butbut:

Please can you help me with that?

Sorry for my bad english level, i try to do my best. :)

Hi.

Very grat job with that, I and a lot of people loved it but I have a little problem when i want to use it with the "ALIVE" mod, when I put the "ALIVE" military base module, and other and, the Nimitz with all the modules... the Nimitz just double, and the aircrafts and all disapeer. :butbut:

Please can you help me with that?

Sorry for my bad english level, i try to do my best. :)

ALIVE has compatibility issues with lots of mods. You'll just have to wait it out and see if someone decides to do anything about it.