TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

@rory_pamphilon, the tailhook did not move in the released version, I provided a fix here: http://tspindler.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/Modules-07-fix/ For towing you need to sync the UGV and the F/A-18 against the module. I agree that the documentation is quite lightweight at the moment, but I'm getting help there :) While the old built-in towing scripts are still there, they are not automatically active any longer.

Hi Tetet,

Thanks for the swift reply, I did try it as you suggested and I am able to tow the issue I have though is that the blue team channel is then spammed by the UGV saying things like 'ugv looking..., found nothing, still looking, found nothing still looking...

Cant remember exact words buts its as if the towing script is speaking out of the UGV somehow :p

@rory_pamphilon, please take a look at the Towing module in the editor, it has an option 'debug'. Set that to false.

Hi,

You need a little vehicule to assit plane to hangar :

Here, a model from Arma 2 :

http://community.bistudio.com/wikidata/images/d/d3/Arma2_tractor2.jpg (102 kB)

( more info : http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Vehicles )

Exemple where we can forward with a plane : ) :

( More information on http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?88785-Vehicle-towing-script )

Download link : http://folkersma.org/gast/dll_tow_0.1_beta.zip (maybe not the latest version)

Or a very little demonstration on Arma 2 with an other technic : BTK cargo script :

More exemple with another model :

Edited by GranolaBar

Man, what did they do to Arma 3 that made this addon so complicated. You would think you were taking something from another game entirely and putting it in arma. It used to be a single pbo and now I have to jump through hoops trying to get each individual thing to work. I need training missions to figure out how to use it all again. Well, thanks for all the effort you put into it.

Man, what did they do to Arma 3 that made this addon so complicated. You would think you were taking something from another game entirely and putting it in arma. It used to be a single pbo and now I have to jump through hoops trying to get each individual thing to work. I need training missions to figure out how to use it all again. Well, thanks for all the effort you put into it.

its easy to get all the functions working back to the way they were in A2, plus more, just go to Modules/Nimitz and then your set after placing all the features you want

@GranolaBar, until we get a proper tractor in arma3 we have to do with the UGV :(

@Victim913, I would have hoped that the modules make the CV easier to use, not harder. Of course with the disabled built-in functions right now and the transition to modules there's some friction.

@AngelWingGamingJacob, the next update will have some higher level modules that make use of the carrier easier than now. I hope that for most mission builders the granularity of the lower level modules is welcome, as they can design their missions that some players and vehicles have certain abilities, others not.

I like the latest updates of the FA-18 and Nimitz. They work great together now!

I just wondered about one thing. Is the refueling station working? I drove next to the hose, but neither got an action inside or outside of my plane. On the A2 Nimitz carrier, you could attach those fule hoses to your plane.

It also struck me. I don't get the "refuel" or "clear deck" of the ugv anymore. I tried your [sp]allmodules mission, is the option supposed to be there?

@Predator.v2, thanks for the thumbs up. The refueling is currently not working, the built-in function relies on a now disabled function and the module was not ready for v07. If you feel adventurous, try the experimental modules at http://tspindler.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/ttt_nimitzfunctions.pbo , but be aware that they might be broken at any given time. However right now fueling should work there.

The reammo and clear deck function of the UGV was built into the MP test mission, not the CV. So it is missing from the [sP]allmodules mission. With the service menu of the F/A-18 now being available on the carrier, I drop the reammo functionality. For cleaning the deck, spawning new UGV and such I think I need to provide a NimitzCaptain or rather NimitzAdmiral module... Not sure if it will be ready for v08.

I'd keep the reammo function. First the interaction with the weapons elevator increased immersion and second you won't know, if other modded planes (in the future) will have their own service menu.

Or do you plan to keep the carrier FA-18 exclusive? And what about choppers?

I'd keep the reammo function. First the interaction with the weapons elevator increased immersion and second you won't know, if other modded planes (in the future) will have their own service menu.

Or do you plan to keep the carrier FA-18 exclusive? And what about choppers?

i tried requesting a CH-53E on the request thread, so hopefully it will help us with the chopper situation if someone takes up that challenge.

Is there a way that you can make the carrier render beyond the normal object view distance?

Having it pop up piece-by-piece when you're approaching it is quite an immersion-breaker, with the alternative being a really high object view distance which heavily taxes performance.

Hey!

You might already have guessed why I am contacting you by reading the title: I can't get several things working.

Now I just came home today and surfing around I found this portation, and I was soo happy! I have been waiting for this quite a time, and TeTeT did it! Absolutely great job done, I have to state that here. When I saw the carrier ingame - just beatiful. Well, I will get to the point now:

I am not very experienced in modding arma(3), nor in making any mods etc.

The problem I have ingame is simply, that all the functions of the carrier do not seem to work. I am quite sure I installed everything correctly, but I will write it down to make it easier spotting my mistake:

I tried all of this on Arma 3 full release 1.04.111668 with the new campaign part that came out today installed.

First of all, I installed the CBA Community addons that were linked as requirement for the carrier mod, being version 1.0.4.198, then I installed the F18 Mod v 1.2. After that I installed the carrier port. I did all of these installations by simply extracting the content of the zip/rar mod files into the steam arma directory. Then I set the launch paramters and made sure that the expansions are aswell ticked and in the right order in the ingame options menu (arma3>CBA>F18>nimitz). After that I installed the "test mission nimitz by TeTeT".

Now ingame on the carrier, everything seemed to be okay, no glitches the F18's (E and F) are there and they worked perfectly fine, same went for the elevators. But I ofcourse hoped for a lot more cool stuff, so I hopped in a single seated F18 and taxiied to the catapults, I tried to align the jet perfectly, several times, tried different catapults, flaps down and up, engine on and off, getting out and in, running around the jet but there would not pop up anything in the action menu to get the jet into the catapult, salute or anything. In the end I started the F18 without the catapult, not really easy but it worked. Then I wanted to try out how the landing works, I tried to land at least 10 times, gear down, tallhook lowered, not too fast, perfectly aligned: but no landing guidance during the finals came up in the action menu, nothing. And I never ever engaged any of the four arrestor cables, all bolters, even though I am pretty sure the hook must have catched - the mechanism simply did not work. I hope you understand my problem better now, the mechanics simply do not work for me, I must have made a mistake, or forgot something or whatever, I hope you can help me. Sorry for taking your time with this text-wall, but I am so eager to enjoy the nimitz in arma3,

best regards,

Stricky

(note: I hope this is not tooo off-topic, but I had no idea where to post it else, and I just registered for this, so I could not do it via PM's, sorry for that and any other trouble)

@Chortles, I probably better name it NimitzShipboy or so, it's meant to aid in the handling of the carrier. The question is where do peripheral functions like cleaning the deck, delivering ammo, maybe changing the type of boat spawned, showing damage of subsystems (not there but on wishlist) belong to. An admiral/captain/shipboy should deliver these functions. Maybe NimitzService would be an ever better name.

@Predator, good point on support of ammo for further planes. While the Buzzard handles not very well on the carrier, it can be used and should at least get ammo via setVehicleAmmo 1.

@AngelWingGamingJacob, nice, a helo with a navy camo would be great to have aboard. I tried the Ghosthawk, but it jumped constantly on the deck, so I went with the Mohawk for the ambiance module.

@DMB_, unfortunately I wouldn't know of any trick to do that. For the engine the carrier is just a bunch of buildings so the settings for buildings are imposed. If there's a way to set a custom draw distance for a special object, would be happy to support that.

@Stricky, did you try [sP]allModules.Stratis? The [sP]NimitzTest and [sP]Nimitz-blufor missions do not provide the needed modules for the elevators and arresting wires. Unfortunately someone else also reported that the catapult wouldn't work for them, so I recorded this short video:

Another video from yesterday evening's testing and, well, some fun in the F/A-18:

What do you mean by those

[sP]allModules.Stratis? The [sP]NimitzTest and [sP]Nimitz-blufor
?

Because "[sP]allModules.Stratis" is apparently no mission, it is a very small file and if I put it in the mission folder to play arma tells me something about not downloadable content.

Thanks, that made it. After installing (the by-the-way really really cool) unit pack I could start the suggested mission, and in this mission quite everything seemed to work, catapults, the wiring system, repairing(I just could not get the landing guidance working, but that will do later surely). And it really works good, I will try to test a little and then give you some more feedback maybe, for now I did not notice anything especially bad, just that when you come in too fast and hit the flight deck the jet might glitch into the ground. For me thats just showing me that it was not a good landing, and the fact that the aircraft gets slightly damaged no matter how good the landing is, is, at least to me, kind of realistic, as an aircraft would need maintenance after every landing in real life aswell(check/replace gear etc, just that is not possible in such a detail at the moment).

best regards and thanks for your support again,

Strick

About the towing script, I'm currently working on optimizing it for Arma3, but progress is slow, so a public release is quite far. But I'll contact TeTeT when I have a preview ready to include in his Nimitz port.

Hi all,

how to get a zodiac into water? I used the Pinnboard to grequest the zodiac but i do net get it into water.

Hey TeteT, just one little question, I know that the ship can't move, but why I can't attach it to anything?

Isn't it just an object?

Edited by Antorugby

@Stricky, glad you got it working.

@rundll.exe, excellent news! Right now only the F/A-18 is supported and it would be great to have a more complete coverage of arma3 vehicles.

@gagagu, if you use the white request action, you need to sit in the zodiac, look to the ground and then you get the launch action. If you use the boat module (blue action entry), you can launch the boat from close by or in the boat.

@Antorugby, the ship is not a single object but gets assembled from a dozen or so objects. If you attach the ship object to something merely an invisible object should be attached, the visible carrier parts themselves are stationary.

I did some testing now, and some things I noticed on my setup(I am curious whether that is normal and by what it is caused):

- I can not refuel anything on the carrier(I tried it several times at the grapes' spot)

- when I come in for my final, I get the option to lower my tailhook, but it is purple, not blue like in several videos

- when I come in for my final, I do not get the option to activate any OLS (e.g. I saw in videos pilots getting a blue "IFLOLS" option)

- all of my catapult action entries are green

I hope this colorfull information is enough to say what especially in my setup is different,

(everything else seems to work fine btw, I can use zodiacs, submarines, (rearming) elevator etc...)

Strick

@Stricky, you have to wait til this Friday when v08 is released to get the blue coloured actions and a working fuel and IFLOLS system. Well, working if testing doesn't show any critical problems.

Okay, no worries and thanks for the fast reply. I am eager to test v08! :P