TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

Iron, thanks for the kind words. No problem to add (_carrierPart setVariable ["ALIVE_profileIgnore",true]) to the init script. If you're willing to test a build with that, send me a PM.

ElTyranos, thanks :) I'll try to verify if the auto sync is broken on dedi server this weekend. I haven't really tested the Nimitz on a dedi myself, but I know that the experimental builds were used by some group(s). Maybe they used the manual sync, I'll investigate.

tallguyjv, nikiforos, bladeblow, firewill: I'll add the F-14 to the run_dll towing config and we see how it works. I did not enable it for the standard arma planes as they would first sit still, then jump and finally blow up when being towed. It's probably a good idea to re-evaluate that.

srbknight, I wrote an AI traffic mission for the Nimitz and F/A-18E/F. You can download it from http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/%5bSP%5dNimitzTraffic.Stratis.7zand use the scripts in your own mission. However, it's a bit involved as it tries to play out the carrier ops from using the elevator, taxiing, taking off and landing. It would be a good candidate to have the AI take-off and landing as a module, but not sure if I will have time for that.

Thank you TeTeT for this :D 

just an idea there is a recently released mod that is basicly a Towing mod... you should contact them and look into seeing if they will agree to you using their code....

I believe it uses the physX rope.. 

Its worth a look... it may solve all your problems.. it may not but i just thought i would put it out there because you never mentioned it and i think it would be Brilliant!!

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/178588-truck-and-trailer-arma-3-standalone-released-22102015/

just an idea there is a recently released mod that is basicly a Towing mod... you should contact them and look into seeing if they will agree to you using their code....

I believe it uses the physX rope.. 

Its worth a look... it may solve all your problems.. it may not but i just thought i would put it out there because you never mentioned it and i think it would be Brilliant!!

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/178588-truck-and-trailer-arma-3-standalone-released-22102015/

As someone that has been trying to come up with viable towing solutions for quite some time now i can say that unfortunately the solution used by that mod only works on custom vehicles that are setup in a certain way on the PhysX side of things. Granted most modded planes fall under this category but all vanilla assets won't be able to get towed via that solution. The 2nd problem (the bigger one) is that the trailer only has 1 axis contacting the ground around which it turns. Where as most assets you'd like to be towing on a nimitz will have 2 (front and back wheels) which makes making turns really awkward and you'd get something similar as seen in the video above where going to fast might put the plane on its side. You might be able to work around it though if you are able to raise the front axis alone from the ground (to remove friction) while leaving the back axis touching the ground.

As someone that has been trying to come up with viable towing solutions for quite some time now i can say that unfortunately the solution used by that mod only works on custom vehicles that are setup in a certain way on the PhysX side of things. Granted most modded planes fall under this category but all vanilla assets won't be able to get towed via that solution. The 2nd problem (the bigger one) is that the trailer only has 1 axis contacting the ground around which it turns. Where as most assets you'd like to be towing on a nimitz will have 2 (front and back wheels) which makes making turns really awkward and you'd get something similar as seen in the video above where going to fast might put the plane on its side. You might be able to work around it though if you are able to raise the front axis alone from the ground (to remove friction) while leaving the back axis touching the ground.

Sad Face..

WastedMike1, currently we have nobody updating the icon for the Nimitz. Are you interested in providing an updated icon?

I reproduced the problem of the auto syncing on dedicated server and hopefully fixed it with faithful calls to bis_fnc_MP. It will be tested later.

Speaking of testing, is anyone that is using alive actively interested to join the team and do the testing with alive and the Nimitz?

i would love to but I have no coding or moding skills. If you need more testers my community and I might be able to assist.

Some people talked about problems with Alive and the carrier. Can someone tell me how to reproduce the problem so I can test it with an experimental build? (A demo mission with the problem is appreciated ^^)

Some people talked about problems with Alive and the carrier. Can someone tell me how to reproduce the problem so I can test it with an experimental build? (A demo mission with the problem is appreciated ^^)

It's the virtualization that causes the issue.

Go to any map In the editor.

Place the Nimitz

Populate the Nimitz with Aircraft

Place ALiVE modules

Switch the ALiVE Virtual AI module to "Virtualize all editor placed units except synced units"

Click Preview

The Carrier will go bonkers (spawn 2 carriers on top of each other) and the jets will be underwater.

It's because when you virtualize the objects...i.e. handing them over to ALiVE...it changes the heights of those objects to 0, which of course...causes issues.

Okay, I'm going to test it really quick!

Edit: I'm pretty sure that is an Alive problem. 
I had this once in another mission. I could not get units to spawn up in a tower. They ALWAYS spawned on height 0. (with Alive) I tried to manipulate their height on many ways...nothing worked! 

But lets see what TeTeT is responding!

Another video on the work in progress items:

It covers testing of a new towing script by Leshrack, improved elevator usage on dedicated servers, the boat room (which I discovered is still broken on dedi's), and the water access platform, where we could use some help to get the ladder right.

On the ALiVE issue, testing is still on going and I still hope we find fixes for the issues at hand.

• Like 4

Hello Tetet.

First thanks for your outstanding works. I have a request, hope you can really help me. I start using your Nimitz since it coming out, but I was curious about some thinghs: i don't use Alive or Zeus (no idea how it work) there is a way to respawn an air veichle on it without crashing? I mean: I use the default respawn module from BIS, but when I broke a plane or a chopper, they respawn like fling and continuously crash and spawn. Again and again. There is a way to prevent this? And there is a way to respawn on the ship (for my soldier) without fall into water? Really hope in a reply. Thanks for your hard and nice work.

Hello Tetet.

First thanks for your outstanding works. I have a request, hope you can really help me. I start using your Nimitz since it coming out, but I was curious about some thinghs: i don't use Alive or Zeus (no idea how it work) there is a way to respawn an air veichle on it without crashing? I mean: I use the default respawn module from BIS, but when I broke a plane or a chopper, they respawn like fling and continuously crash and spawn. Again and again. There is a way to prevent this? And there is a way to respawn on the ship (for my soldier) without fall into water? Really hope in a reply. Thanks for your hard and nice work.

This is probably the most covered topic on google. Article's and video on how to and even add multiple of each spawn. "Arma nimitz spawn" dont even have to specify which arma as both work the same.

Is there a way to attach_to some sort of way,a explosive devise? To simply sink it,  Navy Seal Team stuff mission?  Could you add that?

This will make a fantastic Dive and Retrive misson.

And a way to add 3rd party Ciws to it? By replacing what may be build-into it?

This is probably the most covered topic on google. Article's and video on how to and even add multiple of each spawn. "Arma nimitz spawn" dont even have to specify which arma as both work the same.

Thanks. I look and found everythingh. I have only one last question: the rescue module will work only in a "zone" or all around the ship? Cause I wanna fall in water to take the boat that I launc, but once I fall and take the boat, the rescue module teleport me back on Nimitz and let the boat going alone. There is a way to "fix" this?

Is there a way to attach_to some sort of way,a explosive devise? To simply sink it,  Navy Seal Team stuff mission?  Could you add that?

This will make a fantastic Dive and Retrive misson.

And a way to add 3rd party Ciws to it? By replacing what may be build-into it?

I am working on a Phalanx CIWS which will be featured the Nimitz, and on al the US Naval Warfare Pack ships

nice so when your working on the Phalanx CIWS are you gone make the missile launchers to ?

somebody else in the group is already busy with the Sea Sparrow, so no, that wont be me

I have only one last question: the rescue module will work only in a "zone" or all around the ship? Cause I wanna fall in water to take the boat that I launc, but once I fall and take the boat, the rescue module teleport me back on Nimitz and let the boat going alone. There is a way to "fix" this?

You need to remove the rescue module then, it was meant as a sample module to show what could be done.

I looked into the problem of respawning planes on the Nimitz and came up with something consisting of the vehicle respawn module and a custom script. The result can be found in http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/%5bMP%5dRespawnModule.Stratis.7zand needs the F/A-18 and Nimitz.

The mission utilizes the possibility to execute a script upon respawn by the BI module for vehicle respawn. In Expression I use [(_this select 0), true] to call planeRespawn.sqf. The first parameter is the plane, the second wether to fold the wings (true) or not (false or absent). 

Unfortunately the module spawns a flying plane, so the script 

• sets the speed to 0
  • hides the object while it initializes as it spawns with gear up
  • turns off the engine
  • spawns a crew to execute the landing gear action
  • removes the crew
  • folds the wings on F/A-18 and F-14 if requested to do so
  • reveals the spawned and updated plane

Another option is to re-spawn the planes on solid ground and then set their position atop the Nimitz.

Can anyone give me an INIT that i can put in a boat which will add a "teleport to deck" action. So i can just place 4 boats around the nimitz that players can use to teleport back up?

zafjr, try this one:

this addAction ["Rescue", "_boatRoom = [""JDG_Carrier_deck_9""] call TTT_fnc_global; _pos = _boatRoom modelToWorld (_boatRoom selectionPosition ""boatSpawn""); (_this select 1) setPosASL _pos"];

Thanks! it works (although sometimes the player will clip through the floor, but hey i guess thats arma). 

I was actually gonna expand it, put objects (like a sign or something) in the boatroom, the hangar, and the deck, That will allow teleportation between the three locations.

I have a respawn_west marker above an invisible helipad that has a height set to 18 positioned on the deck. Works fine for respawn.

But when i add this to the teleport object: this addAction["<t color='#ff9900'>Teleport</t>", {player setPos getMarkerPos("respawn_west")}];

it teleports to sealevel. 

I was actually gonna expand it, put objects (like a sign or something) in the boatroom, the hangar, and the deck, That will allow teleportation between the three locations.

I created a couple scripts: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/157177-preview-release-nimitz-for-arma3/?p=2821530

The 'Stations' script uses some signs that teleports you to those spots on the ship.

Some fun with the new towing module by Leshrack, Peral's towing tractors and of course John_Spartan and Saul's F/A-18:

Sample mission downloadable from http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/%5bSP%5dTestTaxi.Stratis.7z

I'll check out if this can be integrated in the traffic mission and later in the ambiance module somehow.

• Like 2

You need to remove the rescue module then, it was meant as a sample module to show what could be done.

I looked into the problem of respawning planes on the Nimitz and came up with something consisting of the vehicle respawn module and a custom script. The result can be found in http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/%5bMP%5dRespawnModule.Stratis.7zand needs the F/A-18 and Nimitz.

The mission utilizes the possibility to execute a script upon respawn by the BI module for vehicle respawn. In Expression I use [(_this select 0), true] to call planeRespawn.sqf. The first parameter is the plane, the second wether to fold the wings (true) or not (false or absent). 

Unfortunately the module spawns a flying plane, so the script 

• sets the speed to 0
  • hides the object while it initializes as it spawns with gear up
  • turns off the engine
  • spawns a crew to execute the landing gear action
  • removes the crew
  • folds the wings on F/A-18 and F-14 if requested to do so
  • reveals the spawned and updated plane

Another option is to re-spawn the planes on solid ground and then set their position atop the Nimitz.

Ok, many thanks. Probably I'll gonna use the solutions that u give to zafjr, a simple "addaction" near the rescue boat. Thanks for your answers tetet. Much appreciated.