TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

Meantime Joe had created a very nice LSO platform. Unfortunately it crashed arma 3, but it seems to be fixed with 1.90. Here a screenshot without secondary textures:

?imw=2048&imh=1152&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 11

Wrote a new article for https://nimitz-arma3.blogspot.com/ , text published here for your convenience as well:

Nimitz update

Quite a while has passed with this blog being dormant. But the development of the Nimitz is not idle - slowly but surely we make progress.

Biggest news in the past couple of months was the move to Steam Workshop for the experimental build: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1697731012 This experimental build contains the latest and not always stable additions to the Nimitz. Currently you can already see the upcoming changes to the island and lower deck on the port side, but not all areas are enterable and at places you fall through the cracks. Read, it is experimental and not considered to be stable enough for general use.

Speaking of the changes in the Nimitz, the Changelog contains various entries since the 0.102 release (https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/Changelog.txt).

Functions to reset the cat and wires were added a while back, but never exposed to the player. This has changed lately and now you can reset the wires and catapults when things go wrong - mostly destroyed planes blocking cat and wire.
An oversight was the direction of air defenses on the carrier. In a previous build they were attached to the carrier parts, but now stand freely. This required a change in the direction setting commands, which has been done now.
The crane behind elevator 3 is now semi-functional, it can be raised and lowered with ctrl-w and ctrl-s, and turned left and right with ctrl-q and ctrl-e, if CBA is loaded. Unfortunately the crane is duplicated in the process, due to unknown reasons, so consider this feature to be very experimental.
The lower launchbar and repair actions were added repeatedly on dedicated servers. There is now some code in place to catch these duplicates and hopefully only one action will be available.
The island interiour has been restructured by Odyseus, extending to the hangar level deck and above below the island. This area is now a place of constant improvement and most likely once the renovation there is finished, Nimitz 0.103 will be released.
Joe provided us with a nice LSO platform which sits at the very aft section of the carrier now. It's not functional in any sense, but can be used for additional ambiance elements. Note that the current location is not final, as once the island work is completed, this section will be renovated next.
Some arma update broke the general quarters sound, this has been fixed by replacing the sound file and fixing the config entry for it.
Thanks to the USAF mod a new weapons cart is now available and has been placed on the weapons elevator. The cart carries a number of Sidewinder missiles and can be emptied and filled with player actions, if deployed stand alone (e.g. not on the weapons elevator).
The inheritance for the air defenses and radar of the Nimitz has been changed for the encore update of the Jets DLC and the air defenses are now more tightly integrated and more effective.
A landing statistics menu is now available from the islands ground floor level, showing who landed at which speed and which wire caught. This should help on multiplayer servers to see which pilots need some further practice and which are landing solid.
Another change is the printing of an error if the height of the Nimitz is not close to sea level. Various scripts in the carrier use hard coded values of 17.5 meters for deck height (hangar and other heights as well) and won't work if the carrier is spawned at a different height than sea level. Ultimately these hardcoded values would go from the scripts, but this requires more refactoring.
For landing experts, the vertical distance where the wire snatches you out of thin air can now be set in an Eden attribute of the carrier.
Also for landing, the IFLOLS range has been increased, so it can help landing on the Nimitz from farther away.

The next weeks will hopefully see the completion of the renovation of the island and decks below it, then some testing and bug fixing will be happening. Script wise the replacement of the hard coded height values might happen, and then 0.103 version is ready to be shipped.

Beyond that the general plan is to re-do the lower decks (2nd deck) below the hangar and to renovate the hangar and aft section of the carrier. On the scripting side, it's not decided what will happen next. We're open for suggestions and ideas on what else can be done for the carrier!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like some great improvements in the works. BIS ought to hire you guys to spruce up the USS Freedom a bit.

Hello,

I have a problem with the spawn script ttt_fnc_planeStart. Previously a plane was placed on the deck of the nimitz carrier, launching the script was placed on the catapult and took off. Now, with the new versions of the addons, the plane does not automatically get into the catapult. What has changed or what I do wrong so that when executing the script again, when placing the plane on deck when executing the script, put the plane in the catapult?

BR

Atomicboy

2 hours ago, AtomicBoy said:

I have a problem with the spawn script ttt_fnc_planeStart. Previously a plane was placed on the deck of the nimitz carrier, launching the script was placed on the catapult and took off. Now, with the new versions of the addons, the plane does not automatically get into the catapult. What has changed or what I do wrong so that when executing the script again, when placing the plane on deck when executing the script, put the plane in the catapult?

Most likely the attachTo to the cat has gone and now you need to place the plane more precisely on the plane. If it's useful to you to teleport the plane, I can add an option to fnc_planeStart?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TeTeT said:

Most likely the attachTo to the cat has gone and now you need to place the plane more precisely on the plane. If it's useful to you to teleport the plane, I can add an option to fnc_planeStart?

Yes please. I would appreciate it very much. I have made a very simple script to put airplanes (4) in flight and it is very comfortable to perform simple missions.  Teletransporting the aircraft to the catapult makes the execution of the script easier.

BR.

Atomic Boy

On 7/2/2019 at 11:42 AM, AtomicBoy said:

Yes please. I would appreciate it very much. I have made a very simple script to put airplanes (4) in flight and it is very comfortable to perform simple missions.  Teletransporting the aircraft to the catapult makes the execution of the script easier.

BR.

Atomic Boy

Hi,

took me quite a while to get around to the issue. I've added a fourth argument to ttt_fnc_planeStart: true - the plane will automatically be teleported, false - the plane won't be teleported. The default setting for the parameter is true, so you probably don't need to change your script. If you could test the code, would be appreciated:

https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/ttt_nimitzfunctions.pbo

https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/ttt_nimitzfunctions.pbo.TeTeT.bisign

Most likely the experimental build will be updated soonish as well.

Cheers,

TeTeT

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2019 at 10:21 AM, TeTeT said:

Hi,

took me quite a while to get around to the issue. I've added a fourth argument to ttt_fnc_planeStart: true - the plane will automatically be teleported, false - the plane won't be teleported. The default setting for the parameter is true, so you probably don't need to change your script. If you could test the code, would be appreciated:

https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/ttt_nimitzfunctions.pbo

https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/ttt_nimitzfunctions.pbo.TeTeT.bisign

Most likely the experimental build will be updated soonish as well.

Cheers,

TeTeT

Hello,

Tested ttt_nimitzfunctions.pbo works correctly. Now the script works as before.

If someone is interested in the automatic takeoff and landing script, it is in:

https://www.ffaamod.es/wiki/Portaviones_Nimitz_Despegue_aterrizaje_autom%C3%A1tico

Thank you.

AtomicBoy

• Like 1

Hi,

I've wrote a sample mission that I eventually plan to put in as 'flight ops' module to the Nimitz mod. I'm looking for some feedback and how well it runs on different computers. Working title is 'taxi':

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnrbu1ycfo7a93z/taxi.Tanoa.7z?dl=0

Mods needed are the Nimitz experimental build, CBA_A3 and the F/A-18 release (not beta).

Landing is not done yet, as well as there is a bug in the turn code that I have not been able to fix yet.

Cheers,
TeTeT

• Like 2

Apologies for the questions.

i have set up the Nimitz on Altis and have run into a few small problems which I am hoping someone can help me with.

First off, I have players respawning onto the Nimitz using the Arma Respawn Module.

The Nimitz Boat module is placed where the boats get launched, I have a couple of players synced to this module, but when approaching the Zodiak I have no scroll wheel option? I am not sure if this is because players are respawning?

I have a similar issue with the rescue boats. Once the player reaches the Orange zodiak, I do not get any scroll wheel option? Is the Rescue Team module supposed to be synced to the Nimitz or Players?

The starboard anti air “Ai” on mission start, is dead. Go into Zeus and it is black.

General Quarters alarm doesn’t not work.

Some planes bounce around while parked on the flight deck.

I have a AH-1 and UH-1Y from RHS parked in the hanger. These are synced to the hanger module, and Init filled with the set velocity [0,0,-5] and on mission start they get damaged.

Any advice would be appreciated.

6 hours ago, Farqman said:

Apologies for the questions.

i have set up the Nimitz on Altis and have run into a few small problems which I am hoping someone can help me with.

First off, I have players respawning onto the Nimitz using the Arma Respawn Module.

The Nimitz Boat module is placed where the boats get launched, I have a couple of players synced to this module, but when approaching the Zodiak I have no scroll wheel option? I am not sure if this is because players are respawning?

I have a similar issue with the rescue boats. Once the player reaches the Orange zodiak, I do not get any scroll wheel option? Is the Rescue Team module supposed to be synced to the Nimitz or Players?

The starboard anti air “Ai” on mission start, is dead. Go into Zeus and it is black.

General Quarters alarm doesn’t not work.

Some planes bounce around while parked on the flight deck.

I have a AH-1 and UH-1Y from RHS parked in the hanger. These are synced to the hanger module, and Init filled with the set velocity [0,0,-5] and on mission start they get damaged.

Any advice would be appreciated.

No need to apologize for asking questions here, all good!

On the Zodiacs, quite possible that the respawn kills the action. Will need to test this and come back to you.

The rescue module doesn't need to be synced when memory serves me right, it will simply use the closest Nimitz carrier. The most likely cause is that the rescue code calls addAction without remoteExec, making it not work on hosted servers.

Not sure about AA, the code for placing the AI in them at mission start is the same for all.

The General Quarters is fixed in experimental build.

For the bouncing plane, the physx suspension must be used and be a bit forgiving.

Probably the Nimitz is not spawned at the correct height, do you have problems with the AI crews manning the catapults as well? In general you don't need the hangar module with Eden any longer, you can place the vehicles at the correct height.

Cheers,

TeTeT

5 hours ago, TeTeT said:

No need to apologize for asking questions here, all good!

On the Zodiacs, quite possible that the respawn kills the action. Will need to test this and come back to you.

The rescue module doesn't need to be synced when memory serves me right, it will simply use the closest Nimitz carrier. The most likely cause is that the rescue code calls addAction without remoteExec, making it not work on hosted servers.

Not sure about AA, the code for placing the AI in them at mission start is the same for all.

The General Quarters is fixed in experimental build.

For the bouncing plane, the physx suspension must be used and be a bit forgiving.

Probably the Nimitz is not spawned at the correct height, do you have problems with the AI crews manning the catapults as well? In general you don't need the hangar module with Eden any longer, you can place the vehicles at the correct height.

Cheers,

TeTeT

Thanks for the reply. I have recorded two videos which may explain things a little better.

This video was recorded playing from the editor.

14 hours ago, Farqman said:

Second Video from my DEV Server

Thanks for the videos. For the helo problem, don't sync with Hangar and you should be good. For the rescue and boat problem, try out the Experimental Build at https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/@nimitz_exp.7z or https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1697731012 and see if it is fixed for you.

Cheers,
TeTeT

• Like 1

hi TeTeT  i use your mission  "[SP]NimitzTraffic.Stratis" but it has problem with Nimitz-v0.102a ,when plane take off the crew doesn't disappear (just one of them, others crew remain), could you check it out and find out what is the problem?

sorry my English is terrible. i hope you could understand me

thank for your great work

21 hours ago, Mahdih87 said:

hi TeTeT  i use your mission  "[SP]NimitzTraffic.Stratis" but it has problem with Nimitz-v0.102a ,when plane take off the crew doesn't disappear (just one of them, others crew remain), could you check it out and find out what is the problem?

sorry my English is terrible. i hope you could understand me

thank for your great work

That's a pretty old mission 🙂 I'll look into the mission to see if it can be updated, but I'm not certain if so.

Cheers,

TeTeT

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeTeT said:

That's a pretty old mission 🙂 I'll look into the mission to see if it can be updated, but I'm not certain if so.

Cheers,

TeTeT

i know I am old fan  😅 actually i love this mission only problem is the crew 

thanks for your time

11 hours ago, Mahdih87 said:

i know I am old fan  😅 actually i love this mission only problem is the crew 

thanks for your time

Fixed the crew, but the taxi script is utterly broken nowadays. I'll see what I can do about that, here's the current build:

https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/missions/[SP]NimitzTraffic2020.Stratis.7z

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeTeT said:

Fixed the crew, but the taxi script is utterly broken nowadays. I'll see what I can do about that, here's the current build:

https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/missions/[SP]NimitzTraffic2020.Stratis.7z

thank you so much  i forgot to mention that i use the first version of F-18 (and latest version has the problem). it would be great  if you fix that too

+ there is another problem sometime after the Plane takeoff  (that first version of F/A-18) it crashed into the water i think its about this code:

while {(_v<200) and (alive _plane)} do {    
  (vehicle _plane) setvelocity [_v* sin (_dir),_v * cos (_dir),.4]; in old version of your mission when i change" while {(_v<200)" to "while {(_v<120)" the plane doesn't crash in to the water i don't know if i'm wrong? can you fix that problem too

sorry if i'm asking too much

thanks for your time

i look forward 

15 hours ago, Mahdih87 said:

thank you so much  i forgot to mention that i use the first version of F-18 (and latest version has the problem). it would be great  if you fix that too

+ there is another problem sometime after the Plane takeoff  (that first version of F/A-18) it crashed into the water i think its about this code:

while {(_v<200) and (alive _plane)} do {    
  (vehicle _plane) setvelocity [_v* sin (_dir),_v * cos (_dir),.4]; in old version of your mission when i change" while {(_v<200)" to "while {(_v<120)" the plane doesn't crash in to the water i don't know if i'm wrong? can you fix that problem too

sorry if i'm asking too much

thanks for your time

i look forward 

Hi, I've added a better taxi function to the mission, but that's pretty much it. I tested it and for some reason the F-18 sometimes has gear up. Sorry, but I won't change the velocity code to the old method.

Cheers,

TeTeT

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TeTeT said:

Hi, I've added a better taxi function to the mission, but that's pretty much it. I tested it and for some reason the F-18 sometimes has gear up. Sorry, but I won't change the velocity code to the old method.

Cheers,

TeTeT

it's OK thank you so much 🙂 as i said i know that is too much and i don't expect that.

I don't know if there is a way to make things (take-off & landing) work automatically?

by the way  i really appreciate your time

16 hours ago, Mahdih87 said:

it's OK thank you so much 🙂 as i said i know that is too much and i don't expect that.

I don't know if there is a way to make things (take-off & landing) work automatically?

by the way  i really appreciate your time

Check the Scripting the Nimitz PDF or google doc, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1duUuO-0xLfjT57EidFdM6__GaNjChdp-HBV7xv2laqs/edit?usp=sharing

TeTeT,

I send you a message with this question but this is probably a better place to ask the question (my apologize): 

The USS Freedom works with ALiVE Air Component Commander Module to launch Aircraft when called for, does the USS Nimitz work as well?  I ask because I tried it but was unsuccessful substituting the Nimitz.

Thanks,

Vengeance

Update: I have spent a good deal of time trying different things to get the NIMITZ to work with the ALiVE Air Component Commander and no success.  USS Freedom works fine in test missions.  If anyone else has made it work please post.  I will inquire on ALiVE thread as well.

Thanks,

Vengeance

The experimental build has been updated recently. Today saw the addition of a 'hangar garage' function on each elevator dashboard. Kudos to RHS and Reyhard for sharing the code for a modified virtual garage. The Nimitz now has a toggle for allowing 'hangar garage' actions, allowing players to spawn arbitrary vehicles on any elevator.

When asking for a 'hangar garage' action at the elevator dashboards, the elevator will descend to the hangar level, then a virtual garage will be created. Unfortunately the spawned vehicles are at times less than perfectly aligned with the elevator, but it is working on a basic level. If the vehicle is longer or wider than 10 meters, the script will auto spawn a F/A-181 which fits on the elevator.

A word of warning: You can probably call the 'hangar garage' action multiple times on the same elevator with unforeseen consequences. If you call the 'hangar garage' action with a vehicle already on the elevator, it either will result in a splash or boom, depending on luck 😉

Cheers,

TeTeT

• Like 2