TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

I love the mod :D  :D  :D , is amazing, BETA release I konw, but on new room, try to add the civil item like,deck,chair,tv,those iten fall off donw to water, can you fix please

Thanks. Are you sure this only happens in the new rooms? From what I remember these items fall right through the flight deck as well. You can disable their simulation and hope they stick to the height you placed them, as a work around.

Finished perfecting the plane/helicopter respawn script on the Nimitz. Took a good 3 hours of editing values, and learning some new coding techniques  This can also be used on a LHD if need be. I accidentally made the mission on Tanoa. Then I realized right when I was uploading that people probably still don't have the DLC yet. So I'll just have another upload here in a little bit for stratis. Link below

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwqlot_7c6hOc3ZScHJjQmdDc28

@CBA_A3 V3

@Nimitz

@F/A 18

@USAF (yes there are F35s and UH-60s on the flight deck)

• Like 1

Will test that out. Thanks for the effort. Hope it works as good as you promise  :P

Finished perfecting the plane/helicopter respawn script on the Nimitz. Took a good 3 hours of editing values, and learning some new coding techniques  This can also be used on a LHD if need be. I accidentally made the mission on Tanoa. Then I realized right when I was uploading that people probably still don't have the DLC yet. So I'll just have another upload here in a little bit for stratis. Link below

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwqlot_7c6hOc3ZScHJjQmdDc28

@CBA_A3 V3

@Nimitz

@F/A 18

@USAF (yes there are F35s and UH-60s on the flight deck)

I tested it and like it. Now we just to find a way to kill an engine (+ sound) on command. (After they respawn they have the "engine off sound" and the rotors are turning)

But overall, good job and nice ideas.

Man in night mod game, the USS NIMITZ have not light, no hangar light to, not out side light, look make my self

https://postimg.org/image/dd9qlnafl/86bb16de/

https://postimg.org/image/lzhqo377l/943dbe96/

sorry man is not a mission, just star to edit, this is airport light big pole, add inside the nimitz  wall, thats  it

What do you mean with Nimitz has "no" lights? The lights do work for me as always. Yeah the Hangar is a bit dim but, meh Arma and lights is a bit tricky). I hope you know that you have to actually turn on the lights in the island. (From all I know every client has to do that for themself if I understood TeTeT right)

However, your approach does look quite nice. Now we need to make that light orange!  :P 

https://theaviationist.com/2009/10/30/nimitz-by-night/

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/11/5140145959_b1a21b40e2_o.jpg

Flight Deck lights soo seem a lot dimmer now. If im not mistaken, weren't there originally bridge/superstructure flood lights?

oHHLH2c.jpg

CKqqV9s.jpg

wtDHCyL.jpg

I tested it and like it. Now we just to find a way to kill an engine (+ sound) on command. (After they respawn they have the "engine off sound" and the rotors are turning)

But overall, good job and nice ideas.

Yea the main problem is the only way to have them spawn without engines on is to spawn them in the water. This respawn script allows you to place them on the carrier deck instead, but placing anything above sea level by default automatically turns on engines for helicopters or planes. Also planes/helicopers can't respawn without landing gears down since the carrier desk is treated ASL thus attempt to fly on respawn. unless you temporarily spawn in a crew to activate the landing gear function, then despawning them afterwards. but by doing so also turns the engine on. The best way was to kill the fuel upon respawn and setting flyinheightasl/velocity appropriately then restoring fuel.

Flight Deck lights soo seem a lot dimmer now. If im not mistaken, weren't there originally bridge/superstructure flood lights?

For me I don't think they strength of the landing lights changed (if you mean those), that could be due to BIs Lighting changes though.

About Lights on the Island: 

I think TeTeT planed to add some there once but I'm unsure if he actually did.

The only lights on the Island I can remember are those inside the staircase.

Yea the main problem is the only way to have them spawn without engines on is to spawn them in the water. This respawn script allows you to place them on the carrier deck instead, but placing anything above sea level by default automatically turns on engines for helicopters or planes. Also planes/helicopers can't respawn without landing gears down since the carrier desk is treated ASL thus attempt to fly on respawn. unless you temporarily spawn in a crew to activate the landing gear function, then despawning them afterwards. but by doing so also turns the engine on. The best way was to kill the fuel upon respawn and setting flyinheightasl/velocity appropriately then restoring fuel.

Without actual knowledge of sripting: Couldn't one have the plane respawn closeabove the water with simulation off and hideobject and then put it back on its original position (in doubt marked by and invisible object like a tactical bacon :3)

• Like 1

Without actual knowledge of sripting: Couldn't one have the plane respawn closeabove the water with simulation off and hideobject and then put it back on its original position (in doubt marked by and invisible object like a tactical bacon :3)

I could have the vehicles spawn off-carrier on the map somewhere, thus circumventing the whole engine-on when spawning I would have to individually write each xyz coordinate/invisible helipad variable of every plane into a script for each position on the deck or hanger. That would be a whole new script I would have to write from scratch, but it's a good idea for sure. I just have a weird feeling if I do it this way, the second send to would result in some kind of glitch. This script was made specifically to be 3D editor friendly. I'll def take a shot at it though, because that whole engine on/rotar on while spawning bugs me too lol. 

"Simulator training with the F/A-18 Super Hornet landing on the deck of an aircraft carrier off the coast of Santa Barbara, CA in 2010."

Now when I think of it, lighting does seem appropriate on the carrier deck, minus the lack of red lighting on the island.

• Like 2

This post is also available on nimitz-arma3.blogspot.de and copied here for your convenience.

Future plans for the Nimitz for arma3

In a recent query on a Nimitz for arma3 youtube video the valid question was raised what the long term plans for the Nimitz are. In this blog post I try to answer this.

First, the development is driven by two distinct forces: one is the known issues (bug) list, the other is the interest and area of expertise of the involved developers. Ideally both would overlap and issues are resolved on the fly. In reality this is of course not always the case.

For example there is a number of texture problems and also needed model improvements on our known issues laundry list, but there is no active developer taking care of it. This of course limits the known issues we actually fix per release.

On the other hand we have areas which match the interest of a developer. For example Leshrack is on his way to improve the many scripts for aircraft and carrier operations in regards to multiple users and multiple carriers on map. I myself added some rooms to the weapons room level, as I was interested in exploring this part of modding. Then there are areas like testing which benefit from dedicated people like Moony, who basically gets to the see the changes first.

Besides the basically dedicated staff of the Nimitz, there are one-off contributors from the larger arma community who improve the carrier from time to time. For example in the beginning of the Nimitz for arma3 project, we had several submissions of texture sets for the hull and flightdeck.

In addition to the community effort, we're currently exploring the use of paid for models via a website named cgtrader. This is kind of a last resort move, as our calls for texture and modelling help could not be answered by the larger arma community. However, it's too early to tell if this approach will be successful.

Given this background it's hopefully clear that speaking of the plans for the Nimitz and the long term path for the carrier is necessarily a wishlist topic rather than a set in stone goal path.

Having said that, our goal is to provide a carrier that is operable in single and multi player arma3. It should support a simple and complex mode of operation, with the simple mode being intuitive enough for a new player to merely follow a tutorial mission and being able to utilize the carrier capabilities. The complex mode of operation tailors toward players not minding reading documentation and going the extra mile for a more realistic carrier experience. The current mode of operation is clearly a mix of the two - most functions are easy to use, but some like fueling an aircraft are not that easy to discover without reading the documentation.

Another huge topic for many player is seeing the carrier move through the water. If it ever will largely depends on the future development of the arma engine. We've seen with vehicle in vehicle transport capabilities that there's hope on the horizon. Support for the Man class (e.g. people) sticking to a moving and rocking surface is needed though.

Speaking of personal preferences, I certainly would like to see an integrated air defense system aboard the Nimitz. Currently an improved model for the sea sparrow is in the making and we might be able to source a phalanx or sea ram from cgtrader. In a first step these systems might be rigged as default arma3 anti aircraft systems. But in the future a working radar which controls these assets and is able to track missiles as well as aircraft would allow a player to play air defense coordinator aboard the Nimitz. In multiplayer this could be augmented by pilots on CAP as well as OPFOR pilots. Of course a Hawkeye to expand the radar capability of the carrier would be useful as well :)

Changing the focus from air operations to the carrier interior, we're currently working on providing a whole new deck on the level of the current weapons room. This work is driven by two motivators: one is the request for more empty space aboard the carrier for milsim units to use it as a base, the other is the relative unease of operation of the weapons elevator. So in February 2016 we started to explore the addition of new rooms roughly 2 meter above water level. This has resulted by now in a whole new deck under construction that reaches from the fore to the aft section of the carrier. Currently we're looking into the availability of floor plans to make these new rooms as carrier characteristic as possible.

Staying with the interior, there's a spot that's been under construction for a long time now: the island. While the stairwells from the arma2 LHD now give the island a refreshed look, the bridge and connecting parts are empty. Goal is here to use the sourced models from cgtrader to provide a nautical bridge and an airboss room. But as written above, we need to first see if this approach yields any success.

Coming back to future plans, above we've seen what are some immediate, mid and long term goals of the Nimitz for arma3 project. These should be sufficient for the next year. Beyond that, currently there'll be dragons. A lot depends on the future development of the engine and its capabilities in the air/sea area. But not everything: a long term goal is to make the carrier walkable from the heights of the island to the water level deck, another is the above mentioned integrated air defense capability, yet another is the creating of a simple and a complex mode of operation. But as it is with dragons, there's room for uncertainty - maybe some brave soul from the community steps up with her own ideas and those will alter the above set course!

• Like 8

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about future development of Nimitz. Firstly, the addon is absolutely fantastic! I mean, it have changed my behaviors of playing Arma games for all. I always loved Navy Air Forces since "F-14 Fleet Defender" sim, and Nimitz is really something to me in that matter. Secondly, it still hasn't been fully used by any community I played with. Nimitz's technical crew, SAR in air, ATC and radar, COD transports and CAP missions - those are tasks rarely conducted while playing a mission with Nimitz in a ordinary community. For now, in most missions the Nimitz was seen to be simply a "naval" airbase, not necessarily being maritime "FOB", sort of. Just a something that can bring CAS planes into battlefield, whenever no suitable airfield for ally side was located nearby. What a shame!

A quick update on progress with version 0.95 final. We now have a handful of objects to at least statically appear on the Nimitz for the update. They will be added to the carrier in certain spots, but don't expect a full set of furniture yet - this is the start. The objects will also be available in Eden in the 'Nimitz objects' category.

Good progress has been made on the upgraded Mk 29 sea sparrow launcher: TheSn4k3 delivered a very nice detailed model, and Pookie and I rigged it as static air defense unit. We also have a Phalanx and RIM-116 model, but it's not clear yet if they make it fully rigged as air defense asset into the next release - there's quite some work to be done.

For the interior, we already have now models for a locker, medical station, briefing room, and some pipes. For the flightdeck, we have a new fuel station. All of this is currently being brought into the game.

Unfortunately the new script solution for catapult, arresting wires, elevators and so forth has to be pushed back.

Our timeline for the 0.95 release is end of August.

• Like 2

A quick update on progress with version 0.95 final. We now have a handful of objects to at least statically appear on the Nimitz for the update. They will be added to the carrier in certain spots, but don't expect a full set of furniture yet - this is the start. The objects will also be available in Eden in the 'Nimitz objects' category.

Good progress has been made on the upgraded Mk 29 sea sparrow launcher: TheSn4k3 delivered a very nice detailed model, and Pookie and I rigged it as static air defense unit. We also have a Phalanx and RIM-116 model, but it's not clear yet if they make it fully rigged as air defense asset into the next release - there's quite some work to be done.

For the interior, we already have now models for a locker, medical station, briefing room, and some pipes. For the flightdeck, we have a new fuel station. All of this is currently being brought into the game.

Unfortunately the new script solution for catapult, arresting wires, elevators and so forth has to be pushed back.

Our timeline for the 0.95 release is end of August.

Sweet! Keep it up people  :)

A video showing the work in progress on 0.95 final:

Feedback already received is that the Phalanx is not too scale right now. 

Also the chair and locker were wildly bouncing and disappeared overboard or were suspended in mid air in the mission for the video. So I disabled simulation on the chair. Prior testing didn't show this behaviour at all, we're still investigating what happened.

• Like 7

Regarding the sea sparrow shooting through the deck.  Didn't even think about that when we were working on it.  You can change the min/max turn of the turret to limit how far left/right he can traverse.  Any side turret will have this same limitation.  Might need to make different sub-classes, each w/ different turret limitations depending on where they need to be placed on the ship.  Not difficult, but will take a bit of planning :) 

That, in combination w/ the physical vertical limits on the "gun" part will keep it behaving correctly and not shooting into the ship :)

Now I know whom I forgot in the credits, sorry hcpookie! Good idea to make a restricted sparrow launcher via config. The 360 degree launcher can stay public, and the other ones can be private.

No worries on my part, not here to get "credit" or "build my portfolio".  Just glad to help out!  :D

• Like 1

I really thoroughly enjoy this mod. I got a host to run a sandbox mission i made with it, and seem to be having issues with getting it to boot on a dedi.

is this still an issue TeTeT ? appreciate the hard work, such a wonderful thing some maps NEED ;)

here seems to be the main error im running into in my RPT:

0:43:13 Error in expression
0:43:13 Error position: <.sqf2>
0:43:13 Error Missing ;
0:43:13 Error in expression
0:43:13 Error position: <.sqf2>
0:43:13 Error Missing ;
0:43:13 EPE manager release (0|7|0)
0:43:13 Unexpected stringtable format inside
0:43:13 Unexpected stringtable format inside
0:43:13 Unsupported language English in stringtable
0:43:14 Unexpected stringtable format inside
0:43:14 Unexpected stringtable format inside
0:43:14 Unsupported language English in stringtable
0:43:14 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Sara\description.ext, line 1: '.OnLoadName': Missing ';' at the end of line
0:43:14 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Sara\description.ext, line 2: '.Author': Missing ';' at the end of line
0:43:14 Starting mission:
0:43:14 Mission file: Battlezone (__cur_mp)
0:43:14 Mission world: Sara
0:43:14 Mission directory: mpmissions\__cur_mp.Sara\
0:43:14 Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_list
0:43:14 Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listpreinit
0:43:14 Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listpostinit
0:43:14 Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listrecompile
0:43:14 Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missiontaskslocal
0:43:14 Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missionconversationslocal
0:43:14 Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missionflow
0:43:14 Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.
jdg_carrier_fake_veh

im not much of a scripter, but a mission maker. let me know ! appreciate it all, again!

Maybe make it default to have the feeler antennae off since you said they went out a long time ago and the game is set in the future?

If if using current stuff, you said they are no longer in use, so why default to have them?

Thanks!

I'm not so sure about changing the default, is it somehow preventive to use the checkbox in the Eden attributes list? I always thought that is sufficient for people wanting a carrier without the antennas. It will even work in the upcoming 0.95 final release - it's broken right now.

I really thoroughly enjoy this mod. I got a host to run a sandbox mission i made with it, and seem to be having issues with getting it to boot on a dedi.

is this still an issue TeTeT ? appreciate the hard work, such a wonderful thing some maps NEED ;)

here seems to be the main error im running into in my RPT:

im not much of a scripter, but a mission maker. let me know ! appreciate it all, again!

I'm as baffled about this problem with the fake engine sound vehicle as you, and I never figured out what's the actual problem with it. In 0.95 final I have today deprecated the sound vehicle and added the engine sound to the jdg carrier spawner (e.g. Nimitz carrier). You can then use 'this engineOn true;' in the init line and the engine runs.

Also a problem with wires 3 and 4 was fixed, the mem points for the wire animations were somehow missing. 

TeTeT

Is there any manual or documentation on what all those "Nimitz" modules do and how to use them? In particular, I'd like to launch an AI plane from the catapult. Also, is that possible to replace the default soldier on the catapult with, say, CUP LHD crewmember?

Is there any manual or documentation on what all those "Nimitz" modules do and how to use them? In particular, I'd like to launch an AI plane from the catapult. Also, is that possible to replace the default soldier on the catapult with, say, CUP LHD crewmember?

Futarm maritime units by BloodOfTheScribe  Download this mod. And you will get proper units.

http://prntscr.com/c6k7feAll of theese are recomended to use with the Nimitz.