TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

I'm sure many users of this are really going to want to make the carrier movable, as a static carrier or ship defeats the purpose and makes a land base just as good.

Its super hard to do a static one, let alone a moving one. Bit much for the community to ask at this point I think ... appreciate this one as is at least!

I would surmise Bohemia Studios has plans someplace for implementing larger ships at some point.

I would suggest, Not.

Please have a look at

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23056

The 05 release contains the fix for the bmp.p3d object error and the change of the crew to existing models. Frontpage of this thread will be updated soon.

The next release is planned for coming Friday. On the roadmap are:

• Updated deck textures
  • Proof of concept rescue module for player swimming around the carrier
  • Proof of concept ambiance module for populating flight deck and hangar
  • Solution for towing problem on dedicated server
  • Updated elevator script for smoother use

Anyone interested in testing this before the public update on Friday, let me know. If you want to contribute, get in touch as well :)

2013-10-12 Fix missing bmp.p3d and debug script
- config.cpp
	- Add empty.p3d as model config to carrier spawner
	- Add empty turret section
	- Change crew to B_crew_F
- res\empty.p3d
	- Added
- scr\sys_catapult.sqf
	- make nimCat?Use a public variable for debugging and mp
	compatibility
- scr\init.sqf
	- make nimHang1 public variable so weapons elevator works in
	mp
2013-10-09 Lights and overview
- client_deckChecks.sqf
	- Added maps for Altis and Stratis (piedebouf)
- config.cpp
	- Added piedebouf lights to the carrier
- init.sqf
	- Initializes some globals
2013-10-08/2 Cleanup
- client_deckChecks.sqf, init.sqf
	- Removed CBA_fnc_debug 
2013-10-08 Work on towing
- dll_tow\bbox.sqf, dll_tow\tow.sqf
	- Changed RoadCone to RoadCone_F for debugging
- dll_tow\config.sf
	- Added entries for UGV and F/A-18E and F
- dll_tow\tow.sqf
	- Removed nil = call
2013-10-06 Work on duplicated actions
- client_deckChecks.sqf
	- add check for kindof plane before adding any action
	- add check for actionId before launch action
2013-10-05 Some changes for running Nimitz on a dedicated server
- client_deckChecks.sqf
	- Added initialization for 'NimitzPlanes', when mission does
	not define it
	- Changed exitWith{} to waitUntil as the first seems to break
	on dedicated server
	- Script does no longer run on dedicated server
	- hasActions and Cat_Action in objects is a public variable now
	- wait until player is alive before script is run - probably
	does not work either, as player is undefined during
	multiplayer here according to BIS wiki
- init.sqf
	- make nimCableReady a public variable
- client_sounds.sqf, arrest2.sqf, arrestRemovehandler.sqf,
arrestAddHandler
	- do not run on dedicated server
- sys_ordnance.sqf
	- use variable 'nimTractors' for tractor detection, remove
	call to nearestObjects
- sys_ordnance_fill.sqf, elevator.sqf
	- try to change tractor type to UGV
2013-10-03 / 3 Fix Zodiacs
- config.cpp
	- Changed spawn height of Zodiac to align with floor
	- Removed destroying Zodiac after recovery, can be reused again
	- Changed "boat" to "nimBoat"
2013-10-03 / 2 Fix Zodiacs
- config.cpp
	- Changed "Zodiac" to "B_Boat_Transport_01_F"
	- Introduced new global variable "boat" to make zodiac
	deployment and recovery possible again
- scr/zodiacBoard.sqf, scr/zodiacDismount.sqf, scr/zodiacDown.sqf,
	- Removed use of nearestObject, use new global "boat"
- scr/zodiacUp.sqf
	- use "vehicle player" instad of nearestObject, unclear how
	this affects multiplayer
2013-10-03 Fix catapults
- scr/fx_steamShot.sqf
	- Changed _particle again to smoke.p3d
- scr/fx_steamCharge.sqf
	- Changed _particle as in fx_steamShot.sqf
- scr/client_deckChecks.sqf
	- Changed nearestObjects for planes to vehicle player for
	performance and also reliability. nearestObjects does not work
	perfectly anymore
	- Added actions to vehicles in NimitzPlanes unconditionally
		- Breaks the automatic addition of these actions when
		doing more than one sortie
- config.cpp
	- Changed font from bitstream to puristaLight
2013-10-02 Start conversion for arma3
- Removed xtra_crew/config.bin as the base class is no longer
available
- config.cpp
	- Changed CfgFactionClass to NATO
	- Changed faction in JDG_carrier_Spawner to BLU_F
	- Removed model ca\misc\empty
	- Added coefSpeedInside (2) and windSockExist (0) to
	JDG_carrier_nimspots
- scr/init.sqf
	- Changed HeliHEmpty to Land_HelipadEmpty_F
- scr/client_deckChecks.sqf
	- Initialized deckCheck ("") 
	- Initialized global variables for catapults (nimCat?FX)
- scr/fx_steamShot.sqf
	- Considered making first check for ObjNull instead of 0
	- Changed _particle to a3 particle model
	- Changed jet to local _jet in while loop
- scr/client_sounds.sqf
	- Changed meaningless comparison to assignment

TeTeT

Edited by TeTeT
add changelog

tested the 0.93 few minutes ago, I get a error:

"Cannot open object ca\water\zodiac.p3d"

Do I need a additional mod that contain the zodiac.p3d?

Im not sure if it's just me but the rear half of the flight deck, the textures do not load until I am over them. Also, on a slight side note, I have tried landing the Greyhawk on the Nimitz but it tends to either make a dramatic explosion or hits a brick wall (might be the cables) bringing it to a damaged stop/destruction or lands just fine, and then the wheels fall through the deck and it gets stuck. Not sure if that is to do with the Nimitz or the UAV itself.

Also I was wondering if there were any plans to have a choice between Zodiac or SDV?

Great job though! Can't wait to see it when it's fully completed.

PS I also get the same error as above.. but I think you are already aware of that issue?

No signatures/keys?

Finally i can join dedicated servers without problems. Only the signatures are missing for proper use.

Im not sure if it's just me but the rear half of the flight deck, the textures do not load until I am over them.

me too, very blurry from the far

How would i add a plane that start the Mission mid-air to the array of Nimitz-Planes? If i want the action to work, not have the plane arrested automatically on touchdown, as it's explained in the documentation?

The keys were indeed missing, here they are: http://tspindler.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/Nimitz-0.93arma3.05-keys.zip

The missing zodiac object is a known bug, see the readme. The zodiacs seem to be built into the model of the zodiac room and need to be replaced by the classes from Arma3.

On the low resolution textures for the area around the wires, I noticed that too, but would be lost on what is going on there.

Adding a plane to the NimitzPlanes array can be done via the init line of the plane: NimitzPlanes = NimitzPlanes + [this]; However, this is a temporary work around, I want to add a module that you can sync to your plane to. Thanks to John_Spartan I have a skeleton for that.

Bug report- I placed an F-18E on Cat 4 via editor, loaded it onto the Cat during preview, Cat 4 then became a permanet scroll option even when I flew away and was over mainland over 25km away. I hit the option while midflight insta teleport back to the cat and then was able to launch again.

Newest .05 version,

We encountered a strange bug today. Me and two friends were trained carrier landing, as after some time the jets (FA-18 of your MP FA18 test mission) wouldnt show the action for "IFLOS" or "Tailhook down" (in blue writing). Thus we couldn't land anymore the default white (tailhook down" wouldn't help either the arresting cables wouldn't catch. Mission restart solved the problem.

How does towing work exactly? I know somebody will say its in the readme but I don't have adobe installed. Anybody willing to share how it works on here?:)

We encountered a strange bug today. Me and two friends were trained carrier landing, as after some time the jets (FA-18 of your MP FA18 test mission) wouldnt show the action for "IFLOS" or "Tailhook down" (in blue writing). Thus we couldn't land anymore the default white (tailhook down" wouldn't help either the arresting cables wouldn't catch. Mission restart solved the problem.

My experience is that if you do not approach the carrier properly, those options will not appear. The read me file has a bit more information on this.

The Nimitz is able to arrest the landing of fixed-wing CTOL aircraft. Pilots have a 120-

foot span of the flight deck in which they are able to catch one of four cables. Setting the

plane down low enough anywhere in that area will bring your aircraft to a stop down the

deck. To enable the options for landing, such as IFLOLS assistance and lowering your

tailhook, you must:

1) Be coming in at the proper landing angle to the ship (see below)

2) Speed must be below 350, altitude below 250 (any speed for IFLOLS)

3) Within 5km of the carrier (3.5km for IFLOLS)

Upon entering a landing path for the Nimitz you will have the option “IFLOLS†in your

actions. Activating this will bring up the Improved Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System.

In-game, this is simply a display on your HUD that will guide you onto the correct glide

slope for landing. Ideally you will come in to the runway at a 3.5-degree angle. If you

are on this glide slope, the center amber light, the “meatball,†will be aligned with the

green row of “datum†lights. If you are too high, the meatball will be above the center

row of lights, and below if you are coming in too low. Red “wave-off†lights mean you are

dangerously low and should come around to attempt another landing. If the green “cut

lights†at the top of the display light up, you are just over the deck and should cut your

engines to bring yourself onto the cables.

Cool note, there is a Cessna mod in Armaholic, it can attach itself to the catapults and it will launch in game, it also gave me the option to put my tailhook down, but it had no effect.

Edited by Diesel5187

I have already played Nimitz missions on A2 and have performed dozens of successful landings. Trust me, it was broken.

How does towing work exactly? I know somebody will say its in the readme but I don't have adobe installed. Anybody willing to share how it works on here?:)

Place an autonomous BluFor UGV Stomper in game, don't forget about setting the proper elevation for initial spawn.

this addWeapon "B_UAVTerminal";

Place that line of code in the init of your player so he spawns with the right BluFor UAV terminal.

Take control of the UAV, back it up against an F-18 and you will get an attach option. Take it easy towing if you go too fast you will damage the F-18 in the current build. 0.93 3.05a.

@armyinf, @predator.v2: the way actions are added and removed to the planes seems to be brittle. I have reproduced the teleport problem with a sticky, unremovable action and worked around that in the catapult script. My take is that there is a race between the client_deckChecks and the catapult scripts and you actually get a second catapult lower launch barrier action the moment you trigger the initial lower launch barrier action. The work around prevents you from teleporting back to the carrier when you farther away than 200 meters. I haven't seen the missing tail hook action, but I would suspect it might be a similar reason.

After a consulting session with John_Spartan on the weekend, I want to move the scripts from the current built-in status to different modules. The old scripts and the new modules will probably co-exist for a week or two, but then the old built-in scripts will be gone and mission makers will need to use the modules. Please let me know if you're already creating an arma3 mission that might be affected. I'll help in the transition.

For a first preview on the module usage, you can try out the onShip module that saves you the setPos loop: http://tspindler.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/TTT_onShip.pbo Place the function module in the editor and set a height above sea level. The default is .5 over the deck. Sync the player/object with the module and it will be moved to that height above sea level. For example you can place three modules, one named Flightdeck, one Hangar, one Briefing and set to the appropriate heights that you find on the icon of the Nimitz. Sync the units you want to have on the carrier at the different height levels and off you go. If someone wants to test it, please check out the respawn module in combination with onShip and see if it works, not tested so far.

If you prefer a video over text, take a look at a prototype sea rescue module around the Nimitz at http://tspindler.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/TTT_rescue.pbo and this video:

I like the module idea, I will say I am glad your making the rescue a module, I am currently making a "Carrier Ops" mission with a search and rescue team being players and a medevac ghosthawk. I will also say Awesome work you are doing mate, keep up the work I know your making a lot of people happy being this up to date.

I'm sorry if this has been answered allready, but will you finish the Nimitz' bridge? it has been WIP since.. forever. :)

@armyinf, does the Nimitz work well with the Ghosthawk? In some tests I had a Ghosthawk spawning on the carrier that constantly jumped. The Mohawk instead did stay in place, though the wheels sink a bit in the deck.

@Modder, no plans for doing that.

@ItsThomas, would you happen to know of available devices such as monitors and tables and other instruments for the bridge area? Also, if that's going to happen it would be more likely to be the pri-fly area that Chortles has asked for. But as of now there's all furniture missing from that area.

The Ghosthawk does jump :/ But I don't have a MEDEVAC Mohawk (To my knowledge)

Hi TeTeT , many thanks for your porting! One question: Nimitz will be ever "able" compatibles with drones ( greyhawk ) ? I tell you this because seems that there are many invisible objects on the deck if you try to takeoff with greyahwk, 90% after the 2/3 crash it will blow up or it will stuck into something invisible

Edited by ramius86

Hey TeTeT

I have allot of experience blending and would love to help you guys make the Nimitz look natural though I'm not sure how your building your texture for the ship at this point as I can't peak behind the curtain. I would love to discuss this with you at some point.

Nox OUT

@ramius86, I'm pretty sure the deck is a flat surface without any bumps. Maybe it's an effect caused by the lack of physX lod for the carrier? Probably it can be fixed once the tools for arma3 are out.

@NoxFord, check your mail, would be happy to have you aboard.

@marker, that's an awesome work and I think some module will add some soldiers to the Nimitz soonish :)

@rory_pamphilon, thanks for the link, just checked it. Can you please change the download link for the Nimitz to go to Armaholic? I'd prefer that to be the primary download location. I think I'll try your mission right now ;)