TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

5 hours ago, SnakeDocc said:

Assuming these variable are in missionNamespace, they are [true],[5],["nimitz1"]

I also made a test mission for you to try, has the same issues with units spawned with zeus and asor vs.

It requires your Nimitz and F18 (latest version) and cba (latest version), and has the asor vs script set up, you can spawn vehicles from the engine crane.

http://puu.sh/y6P0D/e36c06d858.zip

Thanks for the mission! Here's my test:

1. Call createVehicle for a F/A-18E
  2. Check presence of vehicle via  p = nimitiz1 nearEntities [["Plane"], 2000]; systemChat str p;
  3. Result is an array with the plane
  4. Use the spawn script to create another F/A-18E
  5. Check presence of vehicle like in step 2
  6. Result is empty array, []

Not sure what the script does to the objects. 

You can try to spawn a plane with Zeus, it will be initialized properly. Then use the spawn script, spawn another plane via Zeus, it will no longer be initialized, as the array is empty.

Do you have details for the author of the spawn script? Maybe it's worth to debug this together.

9 hours ago, TeTeT said:

Do you have details for the author of the spawn script? Maybe it's worth to debug this together.

@lecks Hey man would you be able to give me and Tetet a hand working out this issue?

@TeTeT  Is there a script i could run in asor's spawnVehicle.sqf that forces the functions to run on the vehicle that's just been spawned, bypassing the need for 'nearEntities'?

4 hours ago, SnakeDocc said:

@TeTeT  Is there a script i could run in asor's spawnVehicle.sqf that forces the functions to run on the vehicle that's just been spawned, bypassing the need for 'nearEntities'?

Yes, it's in functions\fn_syncLoop.sqf :

// for plane
			private ["_catHook", "_plane"];
            _plane = this; // whatever this is ...
            _catHook = _plane getVariable "TTT_catHook";
            if (isNil "_catHook") then {
                        [_plane, ObjNull] remoteExec ["TTT_fnc_syncCatapult", 0, true];
                        [_plane] remoteExec ["TTT_fnc_syncTailhook", 0, true];
                        [_plane] remoteExec ["TTT_fnc_syncFuelAction", 0, true];
                        [_plane] remoteExec ["TTT_fnc_syncIflols", 0, true];
                        _plane setVariable ["TTT_catHook", true, true];
            };

// for units
                private ["_repair", "_man"];
                _man = this; /// whatever this is ...
                _repair = _man getVariable "TTT_repair";
                if (isNil "_repair") then {
                    [_man] remoteExec ["TTT_fnc_syncRepair", 0, true];
                    _man setVariable ["TTT_repair", true, true];
                };

Thanks SO much for all your help ♥, I've figured out the problem. The vehicle spawner which clears the spawn area before spawning was deleting the Nimitz itself when you spawn a vehicle. I fixed this by adding a typeName array to its nearEntities so the nimitz isn't included :)

• Haha 2

This carrier has come so far from its original A3 release.  I love all the improvements and it's awesome that it's still being actively worked on.

I know texturing is not really a priority, but if it is ok, may I make a small suggestion for when it is time to re-texture the ship?  On the tower, the CVN # of the ship is not just in white, it is white with a slight border of black.  Also, the ship's number on the tower is illuminated at night.  On the flight deck, the numbers are just outlined in white.  The numbers themselves are the color of the flight deck.  See the below reference pictures.  AFAIK, all Nimitz class ships share that feature (any active USN personnel feel free to confirm/deny this). 

Obviously functionality of the carrier is more important than how it looks.  I'm just making a slight observation and trying to be constructive for whenever you do decide/have the time to update more of the textures. 

F-35C-Catches-Wire-First-Time-USS-Nimitz

gallery-1488830749-gettyimages-556638285

• Like 1

That's a good point islesfan186, the numbers are adjustable now, but the graphics could already use an overhaul. Without dedicated texturers and modellers the project is always falling a bit short in this area. 

I've added your idea and others to a new blog post at:

https://nimitz-arma3.blogspot.de/

I put the text here for your convenience:

Plans for Nimitz beyond 0.99

After the release is before the release, or so they say. Some ideas got implemented in Nimitz for Arma 3 0.99, but not all. So this is an overview of what might happen in Nimitz 0.100.

First, an already completed but untested task was the upgrade of the SAM systems, the Mk-29 Sea Sparrow launcher and RIM-116 RAM. Both systems now use a BI function to move the missile to the correct launch tube. Also they deploy Pookie's smoke script and generate some smoke upon launch.

Now onto the uncharted territory. With the advent of working radars with the sensors update as part of the Jet DLC, the anti air assets were already upgraded to use sensors. Now the Nimitz itself needs a long range radar to assist those weaponry and of course the planes. Work on this had started during 0.99 development, but was never completed. And when speaking of long range radar, I mean long range for the typical Arma 3 island, something in the range of 10-20 km.

The customization of the carrier for different versions of the Nimitz class is another topic to be discussed. The aft mast, located behind the island, is quite different between those subclasses and ideally we would have different models to show these differences. Further the island itself differs between the latest Nimitz class carriers and the original. And finally the numbers look a bit different on the real carrier than they do on our virtual one.

The hangar is quite an important part of the carrier, but lacks in details and 'liveliness' currently. I would hope for a complete overhaul, similar to what was done to the exteriour of the Nimitz already. It's undecided yet if ambient objects will be directly integrated, or left to the mission makers idea. Both approaches, an empty hangar, or one filled with objects, have their purpose and it's a hard decision which path to go down.

Sitting below the hangar is the 2nd deck. It can be considered a first approach of supplying additional rooms for communities on the Nimitz. The deck needs to be completely overhauled to look more ship like and equipped with objects. Mind you, there will be enough empty rooms available, so a mission maker can equip them as he deems fit.

Weapon carts are a needed addition to the carrier's properties list. The work on them has been contracted from the remaining donation money and should be available later in 2017.

For Nimitz 0.99 Shockley did a tremendous job at adding textures to the hull, which look more ship like than before. Hopefully this work can be continued for the flight deck textures and improve the textures further.

Script wise it would be interesting to add a teleport module for those player that don't want to walk/run around the carrier. There are already some memory points in place that can be used for that. Probably the best approach forward is to publish the nimspots lod, which contain those memory points, so mission makers can integrate their own teleport systems.

A completely different area is that of sounds. Late in the 0.99 release cycle the air conditioning sounds and engine sounds were added to the Nimitz. What's missing is now some general quarters alarm and other ambient sounds via speaker systems. Any suggestions are welcome here!

Yet another tech available in Arma 3 that has not been made widely available in the Nimitz are the Picture in Picture possibilites. The nautical's bridge monitor system is a good place to start on this, but more control rooms in the carrier's interiour could be thought of that get a view on the outside world via cameras.

Camera's are also found on UAVs, which are currently not exactly compatible with the Nimitz systems. The scripts for launching and recovering planes could use an overhaul so UAVs are supported as well.

The Tilly crash crane is currently a static property, as time to make it a carX simulation is rather scarce. Eventually it would be made fully driveable.

Last on this long laundry list is the IFLOLS system which sits untextured on the side of the carrier. Here a better texture, some light source magic and scripting is needed to make it a believable system.

As you can see from this post, we can really use some help in any of the above areas. Feel free to reach out when interested in helping, and join our discord server. There's also the possibility to hire modellers and texturers to assist with some of the above tasks. When doing a donation please let me know in the comment which part of the carrier you would like to see improved: Donate. The money raised so far helped with the following parts: RIM-116 RAM, Phalanx, nautical bridge, medical station, interiour objects, fuel pump, weapon carts (when completed) and new ammunition models.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hi

Is it possible for you guys to extract aircraft carrier model from Crysis 1 and use it in your next updates?

I think there are several models of CVN-80 and CVN-79 , if you extract them from this game and after editing, assemble all of them, then we will have a complete Nimitz class aircraft carrier with so many decks,passageways,ladders,hatches,movable evelators,one big hangar with detailed parts
and hell even nuclear reactor room :)

http://pichoster.net/images/2017/11/20/828e3f66ed5a2dee5b57427b5ecec139.jpg

http://pichoster.net/images/2017/11/20/dc528452e3d9450fba1f8e7c41337c45.jpg

http://pichoster.net/images/2017/11/20/d60f090b2d27e219108ccaf1a54b89db.jpg

http://pichoster.net/images/2017/11/20/6e0453a6288cf3c278dbc6e0c0ad1695.jpg

http://pichoster.net/images/2017/11/20/9d2b044c503f761c66b990dd878ab1b2.jpg

http://pichoster.net/images/2017/11/20/15c77ede1e61a5f522edae35b7bd1a1e.jpg

I don't know $hit about these things and maybe what i said is impossible to do

Anyway have a good day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MON3TER said:

Hi

Is it possible for you guys to extract aircraft carrier model from Crysis 1 and use it in your next updates?

I think there are several models of CVN-80 and CVN-79 , if you extract them from this game and after editing, assemble all of them, then we will have a complete Nimitz class aircraft carrier with so many decks,passageways,ladders,hatches,movable evelators,one big hangar with detailed parts

<snip>

Anyway have a good day

Not impossible, but it's not cool to steal other people's content.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, this is kind of a weird thing to ask, but would it be possible (not anytime soon) to turn the static tug from the Freedom into a vehicle?

A common question is how to have AI planes start and land on the Nimitz. In the past the landing scripts were quite fragile and prone to fail (arindfle_fnc_carrierApproach and ttt_fnc_touchdown). With the introduction of the dynamic airport object and the support of it via landAt (https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/landAt) a much more robust solution is available. I've uploaded a sample mission where one can use the radio trigger alpha (0-0-1) to initiate the landing sequence on the Nimitz. The responsible code is

[p] spawn TTT_fnc_arrest; p landAt (Nimitz getVariable "JDG_dynamicAirportNimitz"); diag_log "Auto land";

p is the variable name for the plane, Nimitz is the variable name for the carrier. A sample mission using the Wipeout as plane is available at http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/missions/[sp]NimitzAITakeOffAndLand.Stratis.7z . Other planes should work, but have not been tested.

• Like 5

Hello @TeTeT and thank you for this awesome mod!

I have a question, as I haven't been able to make it work on my mission as I have envisioned and would like to ask for help.

I have placed 3 carriers giving each a different number. I would like to have each carrier spawn for a different faction (one for Bluefor, one for CSAT and one for Independed) and want to make it so that armed AA defenses on each carrier do not shoot on friendlies but engage other hostile factions as expected. So far all 3 Nimitz spawn for BlueFor and I haven't been able to make them switch to either CSAT or Independed. I suspect some code in their init could do the trick, but my limited arma-fu is limited. If I load Zeus and use the available option from Ares/Achilles mod I can change the faction of the carrier and the AA defenses, so I assume this could be done.

Any ideas how I could make it work?

35 minutes ago, bofhgr said:

Any ideas how I could make it work?

Hi bofhgr, thanks for the kind words. I'd spawn three empty Nimitz' and then remove the AI AA crews and create a new one for each AA. Pseudo code for the init box:

{ 
  {deleteVehicle _x;} foreach crew _x; 
  private _grp = createGroup <side>;
  _grp createUnit [ ... ];
  (leader _grp) moveInTurret [_x, [0]];
} foreach (this getVariable "ttt_nimitz_defenses");

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Hey

I have a problem that I've narrowed down to being caused by this otherwise amazing mod. 

The repair/refuel function around repair/refuel vehicles doesn't work at all. Where you would normally go near a repair/refuel vehicle, nothing happens. It works again when I uninstall the Nimitz. But I'm building my mission around it as a base, so uninstalling isn't an option. 

I assume it's because the auto repair function is now tied to the hangar area instead. But is there a way to disable that? 

@Nablatidis this is probably a side effect of adding GOM's aircraft loadout to the weapons elevator. Try changing these settings in the init of your mission:

//TTT_fnc_aircraftLoadout modified for use of vanilla resources

TTT_fnc_aircraftLoadout_NeedsFuelSource = false;
//(default: true) needs fuel supply within 50m of the aircraft or functions will be unavailable

TTT_fnc_aircraftLoadout_NeedsAmmoSource = false;
//(default: true) needs ammo supply within 50m of the aircraft or functions will be unavailable

TTT_fnc_aircraftLoadout_NeedsRepairSource = false;
//(default: true) needs repair supply within 50m of the aircraft or functions will be unavailable

TTT_fnc_removeFuelFromMapObjects = false;
//(default: true) will remove all fuel cargo from map objects like gas stations so players can't land on the roof of a gas station for a maintenance free refill, might affect other parts of your mission so choose carefully
true

For further references, check ttt_nimitzfunctions/fn_loadout/fn_aircraftLoadoutParameters.sqf

Good luck with your mission!

Wonder what they are waiting for?

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

• Like 6

Probably for official 1.0 version :)

• Like 2

It's been a while since the last update of the Nimitz. That doesn't mean there's nothing to do, just that there was limited time to accomplish anything on the carrier.

With this being said, we managed to get in a number of improvements so far. First, the missile launchers are now using a more realistic launch sequence and spawn the missile at the correct tubes.
Second, the Tilly is driveable, albeit without any cockpit. We need a modeller and texturer to make the crane truely enjoyable. Any volunteer that is willing to put the time in to improve the Tilly is welcome!
Third, the elevators are settable to down or up in Eden. That will allow for some variety for mission makers.
Fourth, the images on most monitors on the bridge are available as hiddenselection. This means they can be set with the setObjectTextureGlobal command and can be changed in any mission. It should also be possible to set some as PIP display.
Fifth, with the advent of Jaentzens colourful F/A-18 skins of 2017, the Nimitz populate script can now take the carriers set number into account. A random mix of available squadron paintings is available and applied automatically with the populate carrier script. 
Sixth, a general quarters alarm sound was added to the bridge and island.

We still have some more things to do, like integrating a new weapon cart and weapons, and while unlikely to happen for the next update, an overhaul of the 2nd deck below the hangar. Stay tuned for an update in the next weeks / months.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Slowly but surely we get ready for an update. One of the improvements I would like to see land in, if we can get it relatively bug free:

E85CF75EC9DB393389D78E4150E53AD0F9C6800A

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 19/11/2017 at 6:28 PM, MON3TER said:

Hi

http://pichoster.net/images/2017/11/20/828e3f66ed5a2dee5b57427b5ecec139.jpg

http://pichoster.net/images/2017/11/20/dc528452e3d9450fba1f8e7c41337c45.jpg

http://pichoster.net/images/2017/11/20/d60f090b2d27e219108ccaf1a54b89db.jpg

http://pichoster.net/images/2017/11/20/6e0453a6288cf3c278dbc6e0c0ad1695.jpg

http://pichoster.net/images/2017/11/20/9d2b044c503f761c66b990dd878ab1b2.jpg

http://pichoster.net/images/2017/11/20/15c77ede1e61a5f522edae35b7bd1a1e.jpg

Anyway have a good day

On 19/11/2017 at 7:53 PM, pipewr3nch said:

Not impossible, but it's not cool to steal other people's content.

Hey esto esta genial acere!!... ups sorry hehehe. Forget that I have to speak in English ... I really like this, so one more time I go to my good friend, Google translator hehe

Man, that looks amazing! It would really be great if the Nimitz had that look or that level of detail in the set. I understand what TeTeT says, it should not be nice to do the work of another person, probably even have legal problems for it, so I can not blame them for not considering that proposal. But as an active player and a fan of aircraft carrier operations, I must be honest in saying that I would love the Nimitz to end up looking so good. It is sad to live in the indecision between the Freedom and the Nimitz because although one looks really great, I find texture and ambience, it is totally lacking in "life" or the useful and immersive features that the other brings despite the fact that the latter is Far below in appearance.

Learn texturing and modelling and join the team :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hello from the ARMA 3 NIMITZ DEV Team!!

So a few of us have been working on some enhanced deck crew animations for the Nimitz when launching your aircraft form the deck. Its really cool if you crank down the ingame music and start playing some TopGUN intro music to get into the mood with. Any how, here is some test footage we recently took. Hope you enjoy.

New Launchcrew sequence for launching planes. Script written by TeTeT, Animation selection and sequencing by Moose, advice by NightIntruder.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, captmoose344 said:

Hello from the ARMA 3 NIMITZ DEV Team!!

So a few of us have been working on some enhanced deck crew animations for the Nimitz when launching your aircraft form the deck. Its really cool if you crank down the ingame music and start playing some TopGUN intro music to get into the mood with. Any how, here is some test footage we recently took. Hope you enjoy.

New Launchcrew sequence for launching planes. Script written by TeTeT, Animation selection and sequencing by Moose, advice by NightIntruder.

<snip>

<snip>

That is looking absolutely fantastic guys! Thank you for your awesome work!

• Thanks 1