Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

New Tomahawk missile tested

From http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/08/23/arms.tomahawk.reut/index.html

New Tomahawk missile tested

August 23, 2002 Posted: 9:52 PM EDT (0152 GMT)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Raytheon and the U.S. Navy said they successfully flight-tested the company's Tactical Tomahawk cruise missile on Friday, showing stepped-up capabilities for a long-range precision strike weapon of choice.

The first demonstration flight test marked the latest in the "revolution in strike warfare technology," said Capt. Bob Novak, the Navy's Tomahawk program manager.

"It is a perfect example of industry and government ... developing greater fire power with increasingly efficient technologies," he added in a Navy statement.

The test results clear the way for carrying out a low-rate initial production contract, Novak was quoted as saying in a Raytheon statement. The company said the missile would enter production soon.

Tomahawks are launched from surface ships and submarines. They are designed to fly at very low altitudes at high subsonic speeds, piloted over radar-evading routes by advanced guidance systems.

The demonstration flight took place at the Naval Air Systems Command sea range near Point Mugu, California. The missile was fired from a vertical ground launcher and met all test objectives, Lexington, Massachusetts-based Raytheon said.

Used last year by the United States and Britain against Taliban and al Qaeda targets in Afghanistan, the Tomahawk has become the Navy's weapon of choice for attacking high value, heavily defended installations.

Also known as "Block 4" Tomahawks, the new version features in-flight retargeting and other new operational capabilities while cutting costs, Raytheon said.

Scheduled for fleet introduction in 2004, it will cost less than half of a newly built Block 3 missile, the company said.

The United States and Britain are splitting evenly costs of building a torpedo-tube launch version, the Navy said on Wednesday.

Sorry, the title got majorly FUBAR'd by the auto-completion in Internet Exploder, and I didn't notice it. mad.gif If I could trouble one of the moderators to change it, that would be really spiffy...

Ratheon hires a good number of smart ppl. my applied mathematics TA, who was literally 'freaking smart' works for them.

I saw on discovery channel that the yanks have these missles that are as effective as tomahawks, but only cost about 30 grand per unit, and a fifth of the size and can be fired from all kind of these un manned spyplanes. and they hyave all the fancy targeting stuff as well. i thought they were mad but now obviously we're all screwed

Thatd be a Hellfire fired from a Predator UAV.

The Tomahawk is a ship/sub launched cruise missile that can carry either conventional or nuclear warheads. And I suppose anything that can make the program cheaper would be great, and the idea of retargeting them while in midflight is just plain sweeeeeeet. And Ruud, yer avatar is dancing along to Jimi also... this is freaky. Im gonna go to bed, peace

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Aug. 24 2002,11:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thatd be a Hellfire fired from a Predator UAV.

The Tomahawk is a ship/sub launched cruise missile that can carry either conventional or nuclear warheads. And I suppose anything that can make the program cheaper would be great, and the idea of retargeting them while in midflight is just plain sweeeeeeet. And Ruud, yer avatar is dancing along to Jimi also... this is freaky. Im gonna go to bed, peace<span id='postcolor'>

Wasn't a hellfire, its a brand spanking new missle that isn't in production even. It uses all kinds of photo's of the target and goes about searching for it or something. And it wasn't a predator, it was that new stealth unmanned thingy that it was made for

Well Storm Shadow is a pretty fearsome weapon. I watched a DERA presentation video on it, and it flies like a mini jet! Banking hard, rolls! Crazy! Plans are to fit chaff and flare dispensers as well, providing a small countermeasures system.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Aug. 24 2002,08:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry, the title got majorly FUBAR'd by the auto-completion in Internet Exploder, and I didn't notice it. mad.gif If I could trouble one of the moderators to change it, that would be really spiffy...<span id='postcolor'>

Looks fine to me confused.gif

WHat do you want it changed to?

i guess someone changed it already.

anyway, AFAIK, Tomahawks can fly REALLY far, so I guess that counts for something...

So now it will only cost 250,000 dollars to completely wip out a tent, four camels and two goats? Woohoo! that's progress! biggrin.gif

If the US goes to Iraq, the title should be:

GULF WAR II

brought to you by Raytheon, Boeing, Hughes, and other fine defense contractors!

And I fixed the topic last night.  It was just too surreal the way it was. It made my brain hurt.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Aug. 24 2002,18:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If the US goes to Iraq, the title should be:

GULF WAR II

brought to you by Raytheon, Boeing, Hughes, and other fine defense contractors!<span id='postcolor'>

directed by Bush, produced by Rumsfeld. biggrin.gif

Follow-up to the smash hit that launched the career of smart weapons.

Damn, all I can say is I wish I was old enough to have bought some Lockheed stock hehe. You have to admit, its slightly suspicious that the second a president with close ties to corporate America gets into office, we are in a war and trying to get into another one. smile.gif