.kju

[Tutorial] Replacement configs

Another great initiative .kju! I have often thought of properly documenting a similar tutorial dealing with script only addons, that is, no replacement or addition of weapons or vehicle classes...purely an addon that launches a script or scripts similar to how Kylania and I describe in this thread: how do you make a script into a mod? I know al lot of the process is already documented in the CBA wiki at DevHeaven, but I think having in the Biki specifically would be helpful as well. If there is concurrence, I will create one following your template for replacement configs.

Thanks for explaining this .kju, I'm looking forward to it being expanded. :)

As the configs in replacement mods are 99% about inheritance, I'd love to see the config inheritance itself explained into detail a bit as a separate topic, with abstract examples/classes, so people can understand the nature of what they're doing and what's going on instead of just copy-pasting it and using it as a black box.

Especially since inheritance itself to me seems quirky coming from other languages. What seems to work for base classes, doesn't seem to work if it's nested deeper and then there seems to be a certain way you have to dance with the engine if the classes you want to inherit from don't appear in the same config file, etc. I question my sanity at times, but I guess that's what I get for missing out on this stuff for two engine iterations. :)

Another great initiative .kju! I have often thought of properly documenting a similar tutorial dealing with script only addons, that is, no replacement or addition of weapons or vehicle classes...purely an addon that launches a script or scripts similar to how Kylania and I describe in this thread: how do you make a script into a mod? I know al lot of the process is already documented in the CBA wiki at DevHeaven, but I think having in the Biki specifically would be helpful as well. If there is concurrence, I will create one following your template for replacement configs.

Deadfast has pointed out to me some time ago for one of my own addons that it's now (with Arma 3) possible for script mods to be launched without XEH, via CfgFunctions. Take a look at the config here, should be self explanatory as the only other thing in there is the script that it launches.

Deadfast has pointed out to me some time ago for one of my own addons that it's now (with Arma 3) possible for script mods to be launched without XEH, via CfgFunctions. Take a look at the config here, should be self explanatory as the only other thing in there is the script that it launches.

Wow! That is beautiful and makes complete sense. Since functions are now always loaded versus having to put down a functions module, this is great implementation method. That's what I get for taking three months off from coding. Thanks to you and Deadfast for highlighting it.

Thanks for explaining this .kju, I'm looking forward to it being expanded. :)

As the configs in replacement mods are 99% about inheritance, I'd love to see the config inheritance itself explained into detail a bit as a separate topic, with abstract examples/classes, so people can understand the nature of what they're doing and what's going on instead of just copy-pasting it and using it as a black box.

Especially since inheritance itself to me seems quirky coming from other languages. What seems to work for base classes, doesn't seem to work if it's nested deeper and then there seems to be a certain way you have to dance with the engine if the classes you want to inherit from don't appear in the same config file, etc. I question my sanity at times, but I guess that's what I get for missing out on this stuff for two engine iterations. :)

This! I mean i can find lots of Tutorials for Vehicles, Units etc. configs, but as you say, most of the time it's just C&P the config and edit the classnames and paths but not realy understand how classes work and behave with the vanilla classes and all that stuff.

Sometimes in such "C&P Tutorials" are some little notes but i think there is so much knowledge about doing configs in this community, but nowhere is a good basic config tutorial like in sqf scripting are around.

would love to see such a tutorial in the future.

E: btw, was just reading through your tut kju. Nice job, i like how you link always to exsisting (internal/external) sites to explain some things. As well as the step by step texts, which are well writen.

Edited by Lappihuan

Thanks guys :)

I still believe parts of it, especially the regex/filtering the config/classes from irrelevant values, is too abstract,

yet there is always the easy way to remove them yourself one by one - time vs complexity.

About inheritance tutorial - I will consider it, however you need to help me by listing the topics it needs to cover.

I list what issues i have/had with so you can filter it and decide what makes sense in a tutorial.

List:

-What are classes? (just a little definition for newbies)

-what are the different class types, what do they do?

-what tools are helpfully and for what do i use them?

-link to AllinOne config

-what is cfgPatches and what do i need to consider?

-what is the body and what do i need to consider?

-basic syntax explenation with some examples

-how does inheritance work what do i need to consider?

-difference betwen replacement config and add a new config

-how do i debug like analyse RTP file (what are things i need to know for that, are there tools...)

-where are classes documented? (link to BIKI)

-how do i pbo, depbo, unrap etc. which tools? what does these things (just a short explanation)

-how do i get the pbo ingame

-tips to faster edit config params (due the game+mission start after every edit)

-when I've got the permission from another addon maker, how do i merge/include his addon to my addon.

I think this is what i asked my self and some of them i still ask myself when i try to mess around with configs

If i find more i will post.

E: added a line to the list

Edited by Lappihuan

While these are all very good suggestions, only this one is really about inheritance:

-how does inheritance work what do i need to consider?

Maybe I will put the time into these. Depends if I can afford it.

I tried to do replacement of that horrible looking british army uniform texture with my own MTP version. The game wont have a bar of it, just completely ignores the texture and any other changes I make to the soldiers.

If I create them as standalone soldiers it works fine. Anyone know if there is something in game restricting changes to those story characters?

Best copy your attempt to http://pastebin.jonasscholz.de and post the link.

My guess is your requiredAddons was not correct, aka not making it load after A3 configs.

;2549833']Best copy your attempt to http://pastebin.jonasscholz.de and post the link.

My guess is your requiredAddons was not correct' date=' aka not making it load after A3 configs.[/quote']

You were absolutely right. It had to be something simple I had overlooked. Cheers for that

Hi,

Sorry to bring back that old topic.

I found your tutorial very helpful

But I have a question.

Is it possible to do Multiple inheritance ?

I know you can't do like in C++ and just put a comma to make a single class inherit from multiple classes.

But would that work in arma 3;

Addon A :

Class New_Awesome_Class: Arma3_Base_Class

Addon B : *(this one requires addon A)

Class New_Awesome_Class : Another_Class_from_a_mod

The Idea is that I do not want the Arma 3 Base class or the Other Class from the other mod to inherit from each other.

But I still need my new class to inherit from Both.

How can I do that?

Thanks