Sign in to follow this  
ronferri

A mod that enables shooting through Windows?

Ron was searching the forums to find a mod that would improve gameplay a lot but was surprised to find no mention of the case, at all.

We can't shoot through broken windows inside buildings!

ARMA 2 is all about realism, how come this is not taken care of?! It ruins the immersion.

There are many buildings in Takistan and Zargabad which have broken windows but when I shoot through them I hear the sound of glass shatter (but of course nothing is getting physically shattered) and the bullet does not fly out of the building.

Can we work on a mod to fix that?

Cheers.

This is really strange . I was play testing a mission in Zargabad yesterday and I was sneaking up a house to check if enemies were hidden inside. As soon as I got close to the window I got shot by the AI from inside the house through the windows. I play tested the same scenario on two different computers.

1.) Lowend Dualcore AMD 2.5 ghz

The AI is mostly unresponsive because the rig is just not capable to compute everything so they won't shoot through windows.

2.) Playing the same mission on my I7 3770K 3.5 ghz processor I got very different results. As described above the enemy started shooting from inside the house through the windows and wounded me as soon as he spotted me.

Since I'm currently testing my campaign on both computers I must say that, if the processor is powerful enough to handle everything what has to be computed, than the enemy react very quickly and shots through windows . . . if the processor is weak they won't.

What are your computer specs? Just to understand if it might be lacking processor power on your side or if there's another problem.

cheers

It is completely possible to shoot trough windows in arma. I shot people from inside of a building on several occasions, and been kiled by snipers while hiding in building even more often. Only places where it seems that the glass is bulletproof are shops. Forexample i was shooting at guy from inside the shop in Zelenogorsk and breaking glass sound played while guy didnt take any damage. But on the other hand got killed by other guy who was shooting from outside trough the same glass. But that might be a lag, desinc or bug on my side.

I tried many residential buildings and factories with broken windows and the bullets kept hitting imaginary glass and my computer would play the sound of bullet hitting glass. But the window was partly broken. We need a mod that either:

1- Breaks the whole window for real when shooting through it so bullets can get out.

OR

2- Enable the barrel to sneak through the broken space and shoot outside.

Broken windows are acting like invincible walls when the player shoots through them.

I, the Author of the Thread, demand an immediate action on this issue.

Was this not solved in the latest update? I will have to try it out again.....

I am using the latest Beta patch from here: http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Will the devs respond to a bug report for Arma 2 OA if we created one?

Your correct I could not fire out the windows even with the latest patch. nettrucker is probably right but it's worth a try!!

ARMA 2 is all about realism, how come this is not taken care of?! It ruins the immersion.

There are many buildings in Takistan and Zargabad which have broken windows but when I shoot through them I hear the sound of glass shatter (but of course nothing is getting physically shattered) and the bullet does not fly out of the building.

Can we work on a mod to fix that?

Cheers.

Well I can tell you in order to completely have windows or glass I should say work correctly a few things need to be done. First each window needs a unbroken face and a broken face texture. Then it needs a window component in the geo Lod to stop grenades from passing through the unbroken window. It also needs a fire Lod with the glass rvmat so you hear the broken glass sound when shooting it.

In the model config and config of the building it needs to be set up with hit points so that when shoot the unbroken textured face disappears and the broken glass face appears. At the same time the geo Lod and fire Lod component will disappear to so that bullets can now pass through the window untouched.

Unfortunately most buildings in a2 just are not configured for breakable glass. In fact the only two I can recall are the hospital and office building. Both of which when you shoot and break one window they all break which is pretty lame.