Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Bell huey to be used as a hair dryer!

Hello again chaps! smile.gif - Have managed to stay away from writing in the forum since June (and dont write too much anyway, but when I do write I have to follow up the thread), since it so easily takes too much time reading and following the forums for me, and the posts I write often take too much time to write too (like this one, chasing pics for an hour with no good results).

But thought I could share a little chopper uses I have experienced or know of smile.gif

Some things we made at a chopper company at Trondheim airport (Norway) where I worked '96 (the only place I have worked at with both chopper maintinance and operations):

- One of the primary, or even the primary, uses was reindeer chasing/collecting for the "Samer" (native people in nothern scandinavia). Simply chasing hordes of reindeers (running freely over big areas) over the moutains to the "Samer" who collects them and perform regular "reindeer maintenance" wink.gif

- One of the more odd things were salmon inventory in the nearby sport-fishing stream/small river. Some guy simply counting all salmons he can see (and probably location).

- Building mobile phone masts (quite a precision job for the pilot). Aligning segments over the bolts of lower segments so that a "phone company guy" can "nut them" smile.gif

AAFJORD13_S.jpg

- All kinds of lift jobs one can think of, within the weight limits ofcourse. Like transporting things to remote places (one do can get massive electrostatic shocks if not careful when hooking things to the "sling"). Beyond ordinary lifting "stuff" I could mention transporting concrete from the truck mixer to the concreting location in special remote controled concrete containers, and liming lakes and forests in similar procedure. One odd thing I participated in was the lifting of a snowscoter that had been stuck in a forest during the previous winter (remeber the guy seemed to do it primary for his son to get to fly a little chopper; it was probaly too expensive to be really worth it).

betong.jpg

Other things I know of:

Transporting cattle - Quite common to transport for example cows by letting them hang under the chopper in a piece of fabric around their stomach (could not find a bloody pic on the net, even if I have seen several pics of it, quite fun looking)

Clearing (and inspecting) "line streets" (word? ) from hanging trees with a long saw:

helisaw.jpg

Yeah, Choppers are incredibly useful. I cant get over all the things they are used for hehe. Traffic coverage to special ops insertions to hauling machinery. What more could you ask for?

Of course, the airplane pilots answer to that would be: "wings." biggrin.gif

that chopper with the HUGE buzzsaw is one of the craziest things i've ever seen. in a documentary i saw they say that since it operates in close proximity to power lines it need to be grounded after every job. operating that thing would eb a dream come true for me hehe.

Nice pics, but I think some of them may be over the 100kb limit.........

So be prepared for a savage attack by Mods!