Sign in to follow this  
Benze

I just got a kick*** new system...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Benze @ Aug. 24 2002,02:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Kick*** motherboard, 533.

Kick*** videocard, GeForce 4 Ti4400.

Kick*** slick black case with a florescent black light inside and a window, with a 120mm fan, another built in 60mm fan on the side, a perriprial(sp blah) fan next to the card and on it.

Kick*** 512 MBs of DDR RAM.

Kick*** processor, 2.53 Ghz for 250 bucks.

Kick*** new CD ROM drive.

Kick*** 17" flatscreen monitor.

HA! See if you can beat that, suckers!  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

BAH! N00B!

Videocard, ASUS Titanium T400, (better than a GeForce 4, and cheaper too)

All Silver and Black case, 120mm fan and backup 80mm fan(very huge case)

1GB DDR RAM

MONSTER Dual 5.2 Ghz processor, DO NOT ask how much they were. wow.gif

DVD ROM drive,

22" LCD/TFT monitor

2.4 ADSL connection.

Sux0r!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Aug. 26 2002,09:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why didn't you get a DVD drive? They're quite fun and cheap these days.<span id='postcolor'>

Yea i was wondering that too. What i really like to do with them is if its a fullscreen movie ill get some screenshots then save them and put them as my desktop. Works really well sometimes.

Just go to Pc Club what i saw was about 50 bucks.

Show-off, well be happy with that PC of yours. Lame thread IMO. And I don't get why people are discussing about Intel and AMD. WHO CARES?!! They're both good. I don't give a sh*t about it. I currently have an Intel and if i'm going to upgrade then I think i'm getting an Intel again.

Peace tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DestroyerX @ Aug. 26 2002,16:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They're both good.<span id='postcolor'>

No they're not, AMD is better than Intel mad.gif

I've got an Athlon in my Computer and my dad has a P4 is his and the rest is more or less the same - no noticable difference in anything relevant. (and both systems cost the same with a geforce 3 (although mine now has a geforce4 biggrin.gif)

I agree with destroyer that there is no difference, apart maybe from a frame or two in half life, which makes absolutly no difference to the game whatsoever.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Scorpio @ Aug. 26 2002,14:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BAH! N00B!

Videocard, ASUS Titanium T400, (better than a GeForce 4, and cheaper too)

All Silver and Black case, 120mm fan and backup 80mm fan(very huge case)

1GB DDR RAM

MONSTER Dual 5.2 Ghz processor, DO NOT ask how much they were. wow.gif

DVD ROM drive,

22" LCD/TFT monitor

2.4 ADSL connection.

Sux0r!<span id='postcolor'>

If you are going to make something up, at least make it semi believable!

AMD just wont overclock that high, and Intel only makes the P4 multi processor capable in the Xeon line. It tops out at 1.8 ghz in the MP parts. And before you talk about overclocking, I'm not familiar with any Xeon MP boards that support OCing.

Now, you might be OCing AMD on an MPX board to get to 2.6 PR rating on each processor.... hmmm

But feel free to provide a link to where you got your system from, or whatever parts are in it to make it run at this speed and prove me wrong smile.gif

hehe, you got me Warin. Actually the processor i mentioned is fake, but there is such a thing. You do not overclock it, just buy the damn thing. tounge.gif

Heres just one of my rigs.

Full Size Black Aluminum ATX Server Tower

Gigabyte 7VRXP Via KT333 10/100Tbase Lan/ATA 133 RAID

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ overclocked to 2300+

Water Cooling System (Keeps CPU die around 0 degrees centigrate) Most of the parts come from innovatek

2GB Corsair XMS DDR333 CL2.0

2 WD 80GB Hard drives w/8MB Buffer running in a RAID 0 Array

Mitsumi 54x FX CD-ROM

Toshiba 16X10X12X40X DVD-ROM\CD-RW

Mitsumi 1.44mb floppy drive

ATI Raddeon 9700 Pro (Biggest baddest vid card on market) (Untill NV30 that is)

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Creative Inspire 5300 5.1 Surround Speakers

Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick

And last but not least, a 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u

Currently waiting upgrades

Gigabyte Via KT400 mobo

AMD Athlon 2600+ (Will be overclocking this sucker to 3000+)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Scorpio @ Aug. 26 2002,17:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hehe, you got me Warin. Actually the processor i mentioned is fake, but there is such a thing. You do not overclock it, just buy the damn thing.  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Not that you can buy. Otherwise I'd have it so that I could play on HIGH with the maximum view distance biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eh remraf @ Aug. 26 2002,08:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><Snip>

Water Cooling System (Keeps CPU die around 0 degrees centigrate) Most of the parts come from innovatek

</Snip><span id='postcolor'>

Now THAT I would like to see. You can't cool the CPU die down to zero degrees Centigrade unless you have water that is below the freezing point circulating through the cooling system. And unless there are special additives in the cooling medium to keep it from freezing, it would be a solid. Finally, a radiator can't cool the water below the ambient temperature.

If you are getting 0C readings from your temperature probe, something is probably not working right.

Are you talking about a Peltier device, per chance?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eh remraf @ Aug. 26 2002,10:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's called icing... Pretty simple...<span id='postcolor'>

I think I understand now. You actually dump a steady supply of ice into your (cooling) system? What a drag...

Not ice, but near freezing distilled water and some non conductive cooling agents. With the latest water pumps it's quite easy to retain a very low tempreature with water. If you do your system right it's not a big problem to keep your water at or around 0 degrees centigrate. However, the only big problem is that you need to watch where you place your computer. Sunlight and heat is a nono with water systems because of the possiblility of condensation on the hoses/pipes. I keep my big rig in my basement, and I haven't had a problem with condensation. Also, if your going to do icing, you need some insulated tubing. Always use distilled water as well, since pure water doesn't conduct electricity.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eh remraf @ Aug. 26 2002,20:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not ice, but near freezing distilled water and some non conductive cooling agents. With the latest water pumps it's quite easy to retain a very low tempreature with water. If you do your system right it's not a big problem to keep your water at or around 0 degrees centigrate. However, the only big problem is that you need to watch where you place your computer. Sunlight and heat is a nono with water systems because of the possiblility of condensation on the hoses/pipes. I keep my big rig in my basement, and I haven't had a problem with condensation. Also, if your going to do icing, you need some insulated tubing. Always use distilled water as well, since pure water doesn't conduct electricity.<span id='postcolor'>

After a few hours in your cooling system, it's not pure water either. smile.gif

You must have a refrigeration system, either that or the temperature in your basement is near 0 degrees. As Mr Frag said, it's impossible to cool water below ambient temperature with a radiator. Even in the best water cooling systems, CPU temperature and water temperature are usually a few degrees higher than room temperature.

There is a computer that has a Dual 2.53 GHZ (= 5.6GHZ)processor its the Alienware, the most cheapless and powerfull

Ãœb3R L337 KompUter

Yay Getting it soon  smile.gif

Credits: Thanks to the Ads on Gamespy.com or else i would never know its existence.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Aug. 26 2002,20:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There is a computer that has a Dual 2.53 GHZ (= 5.6GHZ)processor its the Alienware, the most cheapless and powerfull

Ãœb3R L337 KompUter

Yay Getting it soon  smile.gif

Credits: Thanks to the Ads on Gamespy.com or else i would never know its existence.<span id='postcolor'>

Cool. I hope you're not just getting it to play games with biggrin.gif

MP is a great thing when you have software that is optimised for SMP... but most software isnt. I've got a buddy that loves his dual processor rig for rendering, but he has a stand alone single processor machine for gaming.

It doesn't stay 0 degrees at all hours. It just stays that way when I'm using it : ) I can get it to stay at freezing for a couple of hours then it starts rising. Anyways, water cooling is much more efficient then cooling by fan. If you have an extra 300-400 bucks it's a good investment and can extend your system life by several years.

Now, if I had the money, I wouldn't mind getting a P4 2.8ghz. Those things are fast when you couple them with the 1066RDRAM. What I don't get is that they re-introduced the 100mhz FSB with this chip, which only allows your to overclock it to 3.1ghz. Like most pentium systems however, this chip will cost a good $800. Way more then I would like to dish on a cpu along. Hopefully with the release of clawhammer, AMD will put a hurt to Intel and cause intel to lower the prices, which would inturn, lower prices across the board. If AMD can provide a superior CPU that Intel couldn't touch, then the prices would go down. In order for AMD to do this, they will need to make the switch to a faster FSB and faster memory.

FYI, I just retired my dual PIII motherboard last week in favor of a P4 2.26 that runs quite happily at 2.6 with air cooling.

My loft gets above 30C during the day right now if I'm not running the A/C, and even with a cheap $7 Sunon fan that moves 36CFM at 32dB on the heatsink, the temperature of the CPU ranges from 48C to about 60C, depending on use. This is quite acceptable for the 2.26, which has an operating temperature at stock speeds of up to 70C. I know the system can go faster, I just haven't had time to push it yet.

The motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-8IEXP, which has some great overclocking features. One thing that is really nice is that you can lock the PCI/AGP bus frequency, so even if you raise the FSB speed to push the CPU and memory, you can lock the bus frequency independently at a number that allows the peripherals to remain stable. You can also adjust the CPU, memory, and AGP voltages yourself. It also has six USB ports, three FireWire ports, 133 RAID, Intel 10/100 LAN, 5.1 audio, SmartCard/Memory Stick support, and a number of lesser features, all for about US$130. And when the Intel 845EP chipset comes out, I would expect Gigabyte to update the motherboard to use the new memory controller and support DDR333.

There is a company called VapoChill, they make computers that run at -14 degrees C or thereabouts.

Basically, they have a nice freezer unit sitting on top of your CPU smile.gif Pretty cool wink.gif Pun intended biggrin.gif

Yeah, that has always been a good feature.

As for dualies, I wouldn't suggest getting a dualie unless your going to use one. Dualies make great render rigs for use with Lightwave, 3d Maxx, ect. ect. They don't make that great of a gaming rig however because must games do not support dual processors.

I used to be an overclocker, back in the days where I could OC a P75 to P90 and save myself a large chunk of cash.

Now though OCing doesnt give you huge performance increases without spending 3-400 dollars on exotic cooling. And for that kind of money, I can just buy the faster processor and also have some money left over for other cool things like beer and pool. biggrin.gif

Of course, if there was ever another processor like the Celeron 300a, I am sure I'd dig out my OCing prowess biggrin.gif

Hey, I got a few of those in the proc bin. Want some : ) Anyways, gone are the dyas of 50%+ OC. However, AMD's getting up their with their Thoroughbred B chip. Tom's already got the AMD 2600+ to the equivalent of 3400+ using the icing method (He gets his down to -44 degrees celcius... I'm jealous, then again, he was the first to get a P4 above 3GHZ using liquid nitrogen) We'll just have to see how far the AMD 2800+ can clock and if it's going to go faster than the 2.8ghz P4. That is in pure speed tests rather than memory thorouput.