Sign in to follow this  
relain

ARMA3 Coop Tactics - how to fight the AI

Hi Bouben,

thanks for reading it. By no means my tests and conclusions are the end of the story. Would be nice, if other people cross check the results. I also want to point out, that the it was a 1 vs.1 test. If you fight a squad, you can for example shoot at one AI and the whole Squad knows very fast where you are. They have a kind of instant shared knowledge about enemy positions. I did not test this enough. Also, if you kill a AI, the rest of the Squad knows roughly, where you are (afterlife communication...lol). So this will influence the test results too.

Interesting. Would love to read BIS statement about these findings.

Why on earth would BIS make a statement? To confirm a state of affairs that has obviously been the case for five whole years?

It's pretty much set in stone that the AI don't see through shit if the materials have a geometry specially designed to blow AI LoS checks.

Also, if you kill a AI, the rest of the Squad knows roughly, where you are (afterlife communication...lol). So this will influence the test results too.

The culprit here appears not to be afterlife communication, as you put it, but inconsistent alarm states. The AI can use visual and audible information from a gunshot to very precisely pinpoint a shooter... or they can guess wildly wrong. The problem is that once your bullet hits their flesh, they shake off their pre-contact numbness and try to find you at maximum effectiveness. If you really give them no opportunity to see or hear you, they won't.

Why on earth would BIS make a statement? To confirm a state of affairs that has obviously been the case for five whole years?

It's pretty much set in stone that the AI don't see through shit if the materials have a geometry specially designed to blow AI LoS checks.

The culprit here appears not to be afterlife communication, as you put it, but inconsistent alarm states. The AI can use visual and audible information from a gunshot to very precisely pinpoint a shooter... or they can guess wildly wrong. The problem is that once your bullet hits their flesh, they shake off their pre-contact numbness and try to find you at maximum effectiveness. If you really give them no opportunity to see or hear you, they won't.

Maturin,

I don't know you - but as OP I would like to ask you to do me a favor. Could please stay out of this specific thread? I think you have some issues with the AI discussion and everybody who does not agree with you, will get a "special treatment". There are so many ongoing discussions and this little thread does not need your attention.

Thanks in advance. :)

Wow...can't be any more clear than that. That is some AI wallhack nonsense, lol.

and my tip is, until this is fixed, shift the precision to 0.3

How do you do this?

Back to topic:

I found a very good channel, from gamma dust. He wrote the script the visualize the LOS and the status of the AI. Great! Will save me a lot of time. :-)

In this video he explains the script and do a test how the detections works - and he checks, if the AI can see through "walls" (which is as we now, not the case).

Another great video about target detection

Here you can see the predictions of the AI (as I testet) - and some problems with the predictions

Edited by relain

AI is fairly dumb. Once I figured out that close combat is like mission impossible and that M320 LRR .408 + SOS at ~>800m distance picks them up like berries with close to none retaliation - I lost any interest to play against it. I do only when I want to practice sniping moving targets and even that gets boring fast cause of predictability. Anyway - I don't really care about AI. Multiplayer it's all about.

You can manipulate the AI with your fires. Don't engage with your primary force first. Push them and move them around and they will eventually stop moving lay down and try and pick you off. From there its just a matter of alternating which teams are shooting at them.