Sign in to follow this  
st!gar

So... the AI has apparently started mixing up each other's waypoints, now.

:icon_rolleyes:

This is a scenario that really should be very, very simple.

*Two squads - let's just call them "A" and "B" - are moving up a hill, next to each other.

*Once A reaches the summit, they proceed down the hill on the other side. Once B reaches the summit - more or less simultaneously with A, of course - they stay put and cover A's advance.

*Further ahead, there's a friendly APC with a squad in transport. The squad - I'll call it "C" - has been scripted to spawn inside the APC, using the "MoveInCargo"-command. When the APC reaches a certain location, it will use the "Transport Unload" - waypoint synchronized with C's "Get Out" -waypoint to drop them off. They will then head their separate ways, to each a different objective.

---

This really shouldn't be so fucking hard.

---

Here's the problem, though - A and B appears to have a new-found tendency of confusing their waypoints with those of other squads. (!!!)

I'll give you a specific example.

A and B have both reached their positions at the top of the hill. There are some enemies down in a forest ahead, and they shoot at each other for a while. At this point, A's advance is slowed as they seek cover among a nearby rock formation.

So far, so good.

However, I turn to see what B is doing, and realize they are not at their position. Their sole, simple, basic purpose is to stay put at the top of the hill. That is their entire function. However, I find them halfway down the hill, headed for the APC which is in the process of unloading C. Dumbstruck, I follow them as the meticulously make their way all the way down the hill, crossing the several hundred meters of open field below, until they finally make it to the APC. By this time, it has finished unloading C, but instead of moving on to its next waypoint, it just sits there, staring stupidly ahead. As soon as B reaches the spot on the ground that was C's "Get Out"-waypoint, the APC starts moving. B then immediately turns tail and heads back up the hill, settling down on their original waypoint - the one place they were supposed to have been all along.

I tried previewing the mission again, this time with myself grouped with their squad so that I could get an exact idea of what orders were given to them by the squad leader. And sure enough, a "MOVE" -waypoint appeared on screen exactly where the APC was supposed to park and deliver its troops.

Subsequent re-tries yielded only more confusion. Sometimes A would head for C's waypoint while B did something else. Sometimes B would head for A's waypoint. And so on. I have absolutely no idea what causes this behaviour, but I don't think this was always the case. As I started making the mission, I recall all initially going well, but as time went on, their behaviour became more and more erratic. Unless, of course, they behaved like this all the time, but I just never picked up on it. (I find this unlikely, mind.)

Is this a common issue? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Please help.

Post your mission somewhere so people could try and figure something out... That is really weird now..

They're probably going for the APC's ammo. Use clearWeaponCargo and clearAmmoCargo on it. Also, if you want the squad to stay put at the top of the hill, use group EnableAttack false. Or even disable their movement, or just use doStop.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Yeah please post your mission somewhere, I´m afraid that no one will be able to help you until then. So much can go wrong during mission editing :D

Is this a common issue? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Please help.

A repro would be great.

Some thoughts:

You don't have to use "get out" for the C if they are in APC which already have "transport unload" waypoint.

The APC will move to "transport unload" point, and then the transported group will advance to their "move" waypoint from there.

Did you synchronize waypoints?

Does B have "hold" waypoint?

I tried something similar based in that description, but I couldn't get any weirdness happening.

APC unloaded and moved on when transported squad was out. Squad "B" stayed on the hill, and "A" moved to it's waypoint.

Question #1 - are you running @ASR_AI or any other AI mod?

also remember if the group in question is in combat mode or under fire they might not behave as desired.

Is there any way to make a squad stay at a position and not stray from it under any circumstance?

By that, I don't mean that I want each individual man to be frozen to the spot where he stands, but rather that the squad as a whole doesn't leave the general area.

Question #1 - are you running @ASR_AI or any other AI mod?

I'm not running any mods.

...if you want the squad to stay put at the top of the hill, use groupEnableAttack false.

I want them to be able to fight the enemy, but not leave the hill they're placed on.

Edited by St!gar

if you want the squad to stay put at the top of the hill, use group EnableAttack false. Or even disable their movement, or just use doStop.

enableAttack false doesn't mean they don't shoot at anything, it means they don't leave their position to attack. They will stay put.