Sign in to follow this  
resistance-rat

Satchel charges make AI stop

Hello everyone,

I have a serious problem with AI. I want to make convoy ambush, but AI will always notice satchel charges on the road and stop.

I've tried all behaviour modes, but nothing works.

How can I force AI to ignore those satchel charges?

maybe it's realistic. have your guys hide them just off the road, they will still blow out wheels to stop the vehicles and maybe get a few occupants

Have you tried the apers mine instead? maybe the AI can't see them as well.

Then again, if your AI team has an EOD guy with a mine detector then that could be why they are being seen....

Why not place an object and create the explosion when they are x away from it?

waitUntil {vehiclename distance objectname < 10};
IED =  createVehicle ["M_Mo_82mm_AT_LG", getMarkerPos "markername", [], 0, "NONE"];

Dirty Haz

Well, I don't want to create charges by scipt. I want to force player to set charges and ambush the convoy (obejctive), but all vehicles, even APCs and Tanks notice them.

If they have special detection equipment built into the vehicles, it might be realistic; otherwise it's a bit absurd for the AI to spot it 100% of the time.

R-R, what you could do is have the player(s) set charges, then have a script get the positions of the set charges and remove them. Give the players a special addAction that will spawn the charges and detonate them at the saved positions.

Do you have to use the only the satchel?

If I remember well, when I was playing with some friends, we had to ambush a convoy, and they were spotting the satchel, but not other types of charges.

Use the garbage object? Nobody will ever think that it is an IED... :D

Dirty Haz

The enemy will spot explosives in plain sight. As they should! Hide them off the road

if you can or use another approach. Satchels are so powerful you can hide them quite

far off the road. Find a bush or shrubs somewhere. Keep it realistic and believable. :cool:

In Arma 2 little objects like Coke tins (editor placed or spawned) were invincible obstacles for the AI, at least for infantry. So I'm not sure if the realistically AI detects a danger or just a "big" obstacle in their way.

Use the garbage object? Nobody will ever think that it is an IED... :D

Dirty Haz

Foiled again!!! :p

Thank all of you guys. I've just added more WPs in the convoy path and it's seems that AI is ignoring those charges now. You mad Arma 3 AI? :D Anyway I think it is how RogueTrooper says, that AI tries to avoid object not a mine or charge.

The enemy will spot explosives in plain sight. As they should! Hide them off the road

if you can or use another approach. Satchels are so powerful you can hide them quite

far off the road. Find a bush or shrubs somewhere. Keep it realistic and believable. :cool:

Building a EOD mission i have seen that the the spotting system is too "perfect." Explosive on ground or in building is spotted a mile a way by AI and by players spotting system, even if it is inside the ground. Then again if Explosive is on grassy ground it mostly impossible for the AI and players spotting system to spot.

One annoying example about spotting mines is that you but mine at a door (the one with wire.) You can see it about 1-3m away if you look straight at the wire but auto spot and AI can spot it from a mile away because they spotted the wire from a distance it is impossible to see.

My conclusion about explosives and mines --> If you want to use them your way, use scripts. It saves your time a lot.

Edit: About placing object on roads that are scripted. AI will usually try to dodge any objects on road or nearby their path.

Edited by Kohmelo