Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet_Harry

Patch 1.02 - Time to say thank you

Hey there,

i just want to say thank you for the Hotfix 1.02.

Our players are now able to play a stable Arma 3.

I think everyone who have wrote 3 lines of code will know this situation. You try to make things better, something goes wrong and the community starts a shitstorm against you.

Sometimes you cant test every situation. Sometimes you are under pressure by the management or the publisher. As developer you have to react faster than possible, because your boss asks "every hour" for a solution. You will make a mistake, because that is preprogrammed.

The community is spamming the forum. And the devs were just forced to be creative under pressure (it is impossible).

I think it is time to thank the developers for the fast reaction. I dont know if this bug has been coded in the described situation. But this situation happens everytime when the devs try to make things better and when they are under pressure.

I spent 1000+ hours in arma / arma scripting. I am not the best player, but i love to host and script the missions.

Thank you for this 1000+ hours and your fast solution.

(I want nothing. I was in several QA management situations and nobody said thank you to our devs who "slept" behind their screens in such situations)

VERY MUCH AGREED!

There are some aspects of the game that I certainly still consider short comings - lack of content, hindered features, bugs and slow performance. However, even with all that junk, I still can see that ARMA 3 is a huge improvement.

I think most people get discouraged because they're so used to playing Arma 2 for so long and that they end up comparing them side by side without realizing that even Arma 2 was pretty rough when it first came out. Such is the case when I see people complain about movement in buildings being too arcade like in Arma 3. They're simply so used to playing in the overly clunky Arma 2 environment that they're not used to seeing someone being able to turn around and point behind them without getting stuck on a wall Worst of all though is that they try to claim this clunkiness as being more realistic. I can't speak for everyone but I have been in plenty of CQB environments to know that when I need to move I'm going to find a way to make it work. Never have I had a real life moment where I moved along a wall and got stuck and had to walk backwards and move sideways into harms way before I could turn around.

My expectations for the game are high but not unreasonable, the most important thing to remember is that it's going to take some time. While I do believe they could have held back the "Full Release" and continued calling it beta, I don't think it really changes all that much, the content will still get here...eventually.

Overall I feel it's very easy to see the raw potential of what this game can and someday will become, we just have to be patient.

Good job, BIS and thank you.

Agreed - what better should we have? An unplayable campaign on day one or a less buggy one a month later? This game has potential - we just need to realize that.

some people will always complain - delayed campaign - moan. Buggy but rushed campaign - moan. Just ignore them, they always be there.

Agreed - But there is no reason to call it a full release yet either, when you delay the main part of a "full" game yet not release you run into people bashing their shields, screaming "It's not a full game!", they are correct its not therefore why call it that and why charge the price for it?

Could not agree more with the OP! Warfare is continually evolving, as is Arma. :)

some people will always complain - delayed campaign - moan. Buggy but rushed campaign - moan. Just ignore them, they always be there.

Or I could just buy a game with a finished campaign. BIS aren't your buddies, and this isn't a charity. Seems so many people are bowled over by the fact that they get to occasionally communicate with devs that they eat up everything they say.

Or I could just buy a game with a finished campaign. BIS aren't your buddies, and this isn't a charity. Seems so many people are bowled over by the fact that they get to occasionally communicate with devs that they eat up everything they say.

did anybody force you to buy the game just now then? Like you said, wait until campaign is there any buy the game.

Agreed - But there is no reason to call it a full release yet either, when you delay the main part of a "full" game yet not release you run into people bashing their shields, screaming "It's not a full game!", they are correct its not therefore why call it that and why charge the price for it?

But here's where you get it wrong - the campaign is not the main part of the game :)

did anybody force you to buy the game just now then? Like you said, wait until campaign is there any buy the game.

how can a release without a campaign (one of the main features in previous Arma games, essential part of OFP's spirits) be justifiable in any sane way?

you're clearly the one who's being delusional.

Well said OP....hat's off and thank you to BIS for their support. Some people have fair and relevant issues but others will spit their dummy out 'cause there ain't three different kinds of rabbit.

how can a release without a campaign (one of the main features in previous Arma games, essential part of OFP's spirits) be justifiable in any sane way?

Simply, by anouncing it BEFORE release, and that it will be released later as free DLC's. Don't like that - don't buy, want to buy - wait until it's out.

Simply, by anouncing it BEFORE release, and that it will be released later as free DLC's. Don't like that - don't buy, want to buy - wait until it's out.

are you one of the individuals who think their strict / short-sighted logic is correct? welcome to the real world - it involves more variables than just A or B. it's not that simple.

IF A2 had no campaign at release, then it missing in A3 may be justifiable, but not in this case + A3 campaign delay was announced way too close to release date. Means there were lots of doubts and design choices, implying anything (bad quality? wrong direction? you name it).

are you one of the individuals who think their strict / short-sighted logic is correct? welcome to the real world - it involves more variables than just A or B. it's not that simple.

IF A2 had no campaign at release, then it missing in A3 may be justifiable, but not in this case + A3 campaign delay was announced way too close to release date. Means there were lots of doubts and design choices, implying anything (bad quality? wrong direction? you name it).

noticed, BEFORE release, so everyone could cancel their pre orders, if they don't like buy a game without campaign. Welcome to the world - where people have to read, before buy anything.

Gentlemen, there's enough BIS is incompetent/lack of content/lack of campaign/hate thread already. No need to drag people that are happy with the game down with you. There are happy thread and there are unhappy thread. This is a happy thread. Bring your unhappiness in the unhappy thread.

Are you one of the individuals who were holding their breath for a campaign even though A) the last two official campaigns have been atrociously bad & B) even though they announced that there would be no campaign at launch?

Gentlemen, there's enough BIS is incompetent/lack of content/lack of campaign/hate thread already. No need to drag people that are happy with the game down with you. There are happy thread and there are unhappy thread. This is a happy thread. Bring your unhappiness in the unhappy thread.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQUEczPac0sD3a3uk9tfUfWdHdDsWUyc-ICloJNEifLanu578siYTB1ok

This should be its own topic. And stickied.

I don't know why anybody even cares that much about the campaign apart from for the (hopefully) fact it will bring more content that the game needs. Also the campaign is not the main part of the game at all, the main part is multiplayer and the editor.

Edited by clydefrog

There are Arma fans out there who can't afford to spend a lot of time regularly on playing. This fact also almost always excludes them from MP communities. For them, the campaign is an important part.

Until then, the Workshop comes in handy to get a quick SP fix.

I have 2 thoughts about this. The campaign in OFP was great, it was huge, fun, special, showed what you could do with the game. No mission I played came close to the intensity and feelings the campaign managed to bring forth.

In Arma 1 and 2, I only tested the campaigns, didn't get very far, simply cause the magic wasn't there.

So, I dont expect Arma 3 campaign to be as awesome as OFPs or the Resistance-expansion campaign.

Which makes it easier to discard as not important.

Speaking of my preference, if the campaign is no good, what I have left is MP and various mods. Which is also what I've mostly focused on since Arma 1. I did play OFP online a lot, I mean for years. Just that the campaign set the tone in a way for the whole game.

Thanks for the appreciation guys :). It's good to be able to play MP again without major issues.

This should be its own topic. And stickied.

If this needs to be stickied, then an "unhappy" thread needs to be stickied. Like I suggested, a general "praise" topic and a general "complaints and misgivings" topic, both stickied, so that you don't have al these different threads trying to compete with each other.

Thanks for the appreciation guys :). It's good to be able to play MP again without major issues.

Yeah, apart from the major performance issues, obviously.