Sign in to follow this  
iceman77

Wierd Cross hatch texture on objects at mid-close range

Standard shadows causes this weird texture.

>>THE IMAGE<<

Edited by Iceman77

I can't the "cross hatch".

EDIT: Edited the OP and included a better image.

Edited by Iceman77

You have to click on the thumbnail, and then once again to enlarge the picture even further so it fills your screen. You'll see it then.

Yea, I know. Can't see the cross hatch error.

Yea, I know. Can't see the cross hatch error.

No error is present. Just the textures. No one said anything about an error.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

I see what looks like jpeg compression cells.

Well there may be some of those aswell, although I can't notice them. In the image, I only notice what I seen in the game. Which are those cross hatched textures on the building that I'm looking at in the image.

You have to click on the thumbnail, and then once again to enlarge the picture even further so it fills your screen. You'll see it then.

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

okay it's sorted now. Apparently 'standard' shadows caused this for me. I disabled shadows & the problem is gone. Also, I put the shadows on ultra and it's all good. Thanks for the replies though.

Edited by Iceman77

I get this on the passender-side rear-view mirror in the Zamak. Makes it hard to see out of them sometimes.

I get this on the passender-side rear-view mirror in the Zamak. Makes it hard to see out of them sometimes.

Set your shadows to anything above 'standard' or disable them. VOTE UP on the issue. I've attached 3 screen shots. 2 separate images and one image with a side by side comparison.

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

Here's the one image with side by side comparisons. Take note that no other settings were touched, only shadows.

>>THE IMAGE<<

Edited by Iceman77

Oh that. It's just related to how shadow maps are rendered. It happens on all surfaces where the angle between the light source casting the shadow and the surface normal is close to 90 degrees. It happens in all games, all engines where shadow maps are used. Different filtering techniques are used to aid the problem, but you can't really make it go away.

The anomaly is called shadow map acne.

but you can't really make it go away.

It's called shadow map acne.

Turning the shadows off or anything above standard fixed the issue... Or atleast it wasn't visible any longer.

Turning the shadows off or anything above standard fixed the issue. or atleast it wasn't visible...

Well, yea. Obviously with higher settings it isn't that bad. Higher resolution shadow maps and far superior shadow map filtering helps.

Without shadows there obviously won't be any shadow maps, thus no errors.

Well, yea. Obviously with higher settings it isn't that bad. Higher resolution shadow maps and far superior shadow map filtering helps.

Without shadows there obviously won't be any shadow maps, thus no errors.

Well I've never noticed this in any other games with low shadow settings... So maybe there's a better way to apply the 'standard' shadow map filters within this game? Hence the ticket. In any case, I'm sure you know what you're talking about.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

Or BIS should simply take out the option for 'standard' shadows. Because it looks terrible, not just the shadows, but causing textures to appear like that. So players would either disable shadows, or at minimum have them on, but not effect object textures in such a really atrocious way. It's one thing to have low res (I think that's how you call it) textures, but to have 'ultra' textures & have the 'standard' shadow filter effect said 'ultra' textures in such a way sucks.

Unsuspecting people like me, who aren't gurus on shadow map filters, wont realize the problem so quickly. All we know is that the "problem" exists. We're not going to be thinking about shadow map filters while setting our shadow quality.

Edited by Iceman77

Set your shadows to anything above 'standard' or disable them. VOTE UP on the issue. I've attached 3 screen shots. 2 separate images and one image with a side by side comparison.

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

Here's the one image with side by side comparisons. Take note that no other settings were touched, only shadows.

>>THE IMAGE<<

Mine is set on whatever the maximum is, so I guess it's not that... (For the truck mirror thing, anyway)

Actually, I did some testing and it seems to only be when there is a light source behind you, perhaps only at night?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183600643

It's not as easy to see as sometimes, but you can see the red hatch lines from the chemlight behind the truck on the mirror.

Another bug with the mirrors is that when you use NV goggles, the mirror image is not NV enhanced. So basically they just look black depending on the ambient light when you are using NVGs.