Sign in to follow this  
Pomi Git

Cap with interchangeable flag patch

Hi folks,

This mod is pretty simple, I've taken the sample model of the baseball cap released by bohemia interactive and added a patch to the front which can be changed separately to the main cap texture. The model has been updated with two camo selections "camo1" (the main cap texture) and "camo2" (the flag patch)

I decided to make this after receiving many many requests for custom versions of my pmc mod with specific clan logos, particularly caps. Down the line if I make my own uniforms or BI release other sample ones Ill see if I can do the same there.

wxIgyKB.jpgSwp7FMT.jpg

I'm offering this completely open source. Feel free to edit and change as you see fit. I've made it dead easy for people relatively new to modding to use, all necessary files to make the mod work are included in the download. This includes:

• MLOD models (theres both normal and backwards facing version) in case you want to modify them further, change texture paths, etc.
  • ready made config file
  • sample flag texture
  • normal map
  • Flag patch PSD template - All you need to do is slot in your flag/clan logo, change the border colour as required and save as tga or png.
  • Ready to go packed pbo (for those that will just create classes in their own mod

Updated version features improved normal map and texture template. See below image for results

zo6WDoRs.jpg

Full Instructions of use (for semi-noobs) within spoiler (also included in download)

============================================================================================================================

CAP WITH FLAG/CLAN PATCH BY POMIGIT

============================================================================================================================

Requirements

1) You need at least very basic knowledge of config files and photoshop

2) Photoshop or equivalent software

3) Tex tools 2

4) BinPBO

5) text editor (I use notepad ++)

You have a few ways of using this mod

a) use the ready packed pbo and create a new class for the hats in your own mod config using textures of your choice

b) use the unpacked version of the mod and just change the textures (requires no config work)

The below guide is targeted more at approach B but its relevant to both

PART 1 Creating your own patch texture (you need photoshop or other image editing software capable of opening psd files)

1) Open the included flag patch template (Flagpatch_Template.psd).

2) Open your flag/clan texture and copy it into the template. The layer order is important. Ensure your clan texture is directly above or behind the sample patch.

3) Delete or hide the sample patch

4) Within the image position your flag texture where the sample flag was so that sits within the borders. Resize as required

5) You can change the colour of the borders to any colour of your choice. Simply double click on the colour of the layer called "border colour", it will open a colour picker. Select and hit ok

6) Go to save and choose a name for your file. The name isnt a big deal except it should end in _co e.g "kickassclan_co". If you want to save yourself some config work just use the name I used "Flagpatch_co".

7) Save the file as either a TGA or png file. It makes no difference. Dont forget where you save it. I usually create a working files folder for each mod

7) Open Tex Tools 2 and open the file you saved.

8) Choose save as. Default option should be paa and pac. Leave that as is and remove the file extension from the name e.g kickassclan_co.tga should just be kickassclan_co. If you dont it will save the file with original file extension

9) Before you hit save navigate to your mod. If you're using my unpacked version then navigate to the folder called data

10) Hit save

PART 2 Config changes (Unless you know what you are doing I recommend using my config file)

Note this part is optional. You could just use my config untouched and it would work fine. The only issue you have to worry about is conflicts with other version using the same mod and class names

1) Open up my included config file

2) Under Cfgpatches rename "POMI_CAPPATCH" to a name of your choice. This is the name of the mod

3) Rename the cap class name to a name of your choice e.g H_Cap_cappatch_default could be renamed H_Cap_cappatch_kickassclan

4) If you used a custom texture name you will also need to update the reference in hiddenselections. Look for ""\cap_patch\data\Flagpatch_co.paa" and rename the file at your texture name

5) Also in hiddenselections you can change the cap texture. By default I am using the green spec ops Uk version. But you can pick any ingame version. A few select ones are listed at the end of this guide

5) Hit save and you're done with the config file

PART 3 Repack into a pbo (this is a very basic guide. Look on the biki for a more detailed version

1) Open BinPBO

2) Addon source directory > Select the folder containing this mod "cap_patch"

3) Destination directory > your addon folder

4) Make sure binarize is ticked then hit pack

5) All going well, that's it you are done

Select Cap textures (a few of the available in game cap textures, there are many more. You can find them by unpboing the "characters_f" pbo and looking in "common/data"

\A3\Characters_F\Common\Data\capb_black_co.paa

\A3\Characters_F\Common\Data\capb_us_co.paa

\A3\Characters_F\Common\Data\capb_iran_co.paa

Edited by pomigit
Updated with armaholic link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice little addition, thanks Pomi!

Any chance you could also make the cap face backwards like this (out-of-the-box):

US_SF_in_Afghanistan_v3.jpg

Edited by Modder

Thank you for informing us of your release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==============================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

PS: sorry for the slow response but keeping up to date with all releases in one day with only one hand is really tiresome and frustrating, not to mention slow.

Thanks mate,

I've just updated it with a few tweeks. I have a new much improved normal map which adds a lot more depth and texture to the surface.

I've also updated the PSD template with an overlayed fabric which will sit above someones custom clan texture and matches the normal map to give it a much more realistic look.

See below close up of the end result.

zo6WDoRs.jpg

The image I used for the new sample was this . As you can see its a stock image with no texture so the normal map and template is doing all the work.

Instructions updated to reflect these changes. Upload link the same.

Edited by pomigit

Cool, I had done this back in my headgear pack when the Alpha first released. Never released the pack though, lost interest. Glad to see it though!

Awesome, loving this, also am I doing something wrong that the cap shows up as invisible in my inventory? Last are you going to do this for any of the helmets, I would give you e-hugs lol

500x.resizedimage

Loving it!

Just wondering why it´s not using setobjecttexture instead of "walloftext-on-pboing-addons"? :)

Just wondering why it´s not using setobjecttexture instead of "walloftext-on-pboing-addons"? :)

Wearable items aren't an "editor object" so you can't really define the object setObjectTexture [selectionNumber,texture] syntax in the editor to point to an item being worn by a unit, only the unit wearing the item.

No idea if there's a way to return the name/ID of a specific worn item and setobjecttexure it by script - AFAIK you can only return the classname of such items.

Wearable items aren't an "editor object" so you can't really define the object setObjectTexture [selectionNumber,texture] syntax in the editor to point to an item being worn by a unit, only the unit wearing the item.

Oh, thats a damn shame. Would´ve made some things significantly easier.

thx for the clarification :)

Again thank you very much for informing us of your updated release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

============================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Do you happen to know what would cause the issue of having 3 sets of hats (A forward and back facing so 2 config files, etc) with 3 different patches wont show up together, BUT when I separate the groups they work just fine(AKA I can't have them in the same mod folder or even if I make a mod folder IE@CAP and I place each group in their own mod folder only the first set shows up period., I have re worked the config files to deal with added name change of files. and once again they each work by themselves great. and not even same hat. (1 is olive, 1 us, 1 uk)

Great to see people getting use out of this mod

@armyinf there should be no need to split out each hat into their own config file. All you need to do is replicate the class details and give each one a different class name. Let me know how you go

Great mod! Adds another small level of personal detail to the game. Any other similar mod plans(chest patches on vests, uniform arm patches)??

hey thanks. I can only do them on sample models BIS release or make myself. So I could probably do the same for the tactical vest if there was interest

Of course Pomi, please give us interchangeable chest patches on vests, uniform arm patches and helmet velcro patches. Thanks for this mod. Well done :-)

Edited by ziggy76