Mpstark

Articulate: Squad Voice Command Utility for Arma 3

Hi Alpha-Kilo,

We don't intend to completely remove the ability of Articulate to emulate key presses, in fact I'm pretty certain that functionality is here to stay. That being said, we'd like to move away from using it wherever possible as it is rather imprecise and limits what can be achieved. The biggest issue is that the delays necessary to ensure that key presses are registered by ArmA vary wildly from system to system and depend heavily on framerates and other factors - by moving to a scripted command system we could avoid this issue altogether. It would also allow us to introduce context specific commands like "One, move over there." or "One, get in that vehicle." which is currently not possible (at least not to any degree of accuracy) using key emulation.

We're also trying to make things as universal as possible, so the interface between ArmA and Articulate has been designed to make it possible to integrate the same functionality with other games (in theory), allowing you to hopefully use Articulate in the future for things like DCS (wouldn't that be awesome).

So, no need to worry that we're trying to remove functionality, just trying to improve what's there already and add features which weren't possible before.

WOWWWWW!!!!! Really cool!!!! Definitely a must have. Tons of potential!!!

This is an amazing mod.

Works great, adds to the immersion and makes it faster when you're working with the AI.

Great news on the development! I just updated to the newest version myself :)

Great application. You should consider having an About button showing version number on the GUI.

Hi guys,

I'd love to test this Addon, however - I fail on install. I install as Admin, but on start I get an error - "You don't appear to have the English Speech Recognizer".

I am running a German Windows 64Bit. Its Home Premium, and it seems I cannot additional language packs with W7 Home Premium.

Any chance to get this running on a German W7? Or is there a setting

Thanks

No more upgrades from MS for W7....

Why don't you upgrade to Ultimate?

Hi guys,

I'd love to test this Addon, however - I fail on install. I install as Admin, but on start I get an error - "You don't appear to have the English Speech Recognizer".

I am running a German Windows 64Bit. Its Home Premium, and it seems I cannot additional language packs with W7 Home Premium.

Any chance to get this running on a German W7? Or is there a setting

Thanks

Right now, Articulate only supports English and as such, you must have the English Speech Recognizer, since that's what we're using to perform recognition. We are working on the next version of Articulate that will support more than just English (and more than just Arma).

Great application. You should consider having an About button showing version number on the GUI.

Came here to say this!

Needs the version number in the info button.

Loving this utility, it brings so much more enjoyment to the single player!

Hey there, I was using version 0.2.5 and all was going well, fell in love with this program! I recently updated to 0.2.6 and found the accuracy I used to have was gone and Articulate was not understanding the commands as it did previously. Any idea what happened?

Hey there, I was using version 0.2.5 and all was going well, fell in love with this program! I recently updated to 0.2.6 and found the accuracy I used to have was gone and Articulate was not understanding the commands as it did previously. Any idea what happened?

I would guess that your training has reset since there wasn't any changes to how Articulate does recognition between those two versions. Retrain and then make sure that the confidence is set to what works for you.

I can't get it to work on my pc. I have Windows 8.1, but it's a Dutch version. I tried installing MS Speech Recognition 8.0, but it keeps giving me errors about language mismatches.

Anyone knows a fix or an alternative?

Greetings,

Sharps

ok, I got it sorted I think. I forgot that I could install additional language packs so I did that and it's working now.

Edited by Sharps1981
edit

I just got around to test Articulate (kind of was too lazy to change my SR-settings in Windows beforehand). And I got to say: This tool is absolutely awesome and even greater than I expected! Thank you, guys, for all the work and effort you put into this and still do.

Although it's versatile already, I thought of two or three things that might make it even better:

1. Implementation of additional number commands for the action- and target menu - or the menus in general. (So you can call a unit to target a specific target by saying "unit blabla - show targets - three" to target the third entry in the targets-menu of the unit.)

2. Implementation of move to-command. (So you can order a unit to move to the current position of the cursor - like it's done with the regular move to-command.)

3. Implementation of a give status-command. (The command you get when pressing ^-5-5. I use this command a lot to check for casualties. That would just be sweet to be able to say "Team red - report status!" or something like that.)

Great work, can't get enough of this awesome tool!

A question - would it be difficult to to add an option to make Articulate always stay on top? Mainly for the benefit of those with dual monitor setups.

I might be alone in doing it but when I am using it I like to keep the command sheet and Articulate visible on my second screen, I would love to be able to force pin it to something like the top corner of the screen.

Amazing tool!

I just started playing the single player campaign of ARMA and now that I finally manage a squad I found out that the use of keyboard to issue commands is incredibly tedious! Almost too frustrating to use in dangerous situation. I followed a guide about squad control and there it was said that it is better to use voice commands.

So after google I found articulate. At first I had the frustration of installing and getting microsoft speech recognition to actually work!! Stupid that you MUST have english as your windows language in order for it to work! Then I started the training program and getting through that was an incredible hassle!!! I never though I would be able to use articulate well for ARMA.

However, starting the program, loading arma 3 and giving myself a squad in the editor soon showed me that this program works (almost) flawlessly! I am baffled by the speed at which you can issue commands! It's so incredibly rewarding! I don't know if I would continue with arma without this!

Of course there still need to be MUCH more commands inside the program and making it user configurable would be awesome.

I miss assigning targets, or yelling that I am injured etc.

However, it is already a much nicer game with the tool in pre-alpha stage. I can't imagine how awesome this is going to be when it gets further developerd.

I wish you all the luck and succes in making this a great tool for arma and perhaps a universal tool for different games (with downloadable profiles etc.) Really hope you make more progress soon!

Thanks

This is awesome! Great tool. Great UI and great re-activeness. Great job, can't wait until it gets developed further.

I just noticed something: "Copy my stance" now activates the "automatic"-option of stances (which is now 7-9) instead of the "copy my stance"-option (which is now 7-0).

I have windows 7 professional in swedish and as such do not have the english voice recognition software. Is there any way to get it or to bypass it so that I don't have to buy a new OS with multi-language support?

Brilliant piece of software, unfortunately for me it's not very friendly with the Irish accent, In fact I have yet to see voice recognition that is friendly with an Irish accent.

Does anyone have any idea how to stop Articulate from picking up random sounds? It used to work absolutely fine until recently - when, for no reason I can think of (I didn't change any settings), it began reacting to e.g. in-game sounds (AI talking) or even mouse wheel scrolling! It's really annoying, coz now it pops up menus randomly. The only solution is to use the "push to talk" feature, which I don't like. I've tried experimenting with the settings, and I also reduced the levels of my microphone, but no luck :(

First and foremost, thanks for this awesome tool!

However I currently have a problem. When I say for example "Everyone, hold fire" it recognises that command but doesn't execute it or rather it executes it in a wrong way. Rather than ~ 3 1 it seems to do ~ 1, skipping the middle keys. The same happens when I say "Everyone assign team green" which results in ~ 2 instead of ~ 9 2. Another one is "Everyone, go prone". Instead of ~ 7 8 it does ~ 7, forgetting 8. "Everyone" by itself and any number like "Two","Three" etc. work, just not the combined command.

Anyone have any ideas why this might happen? I do have the newest Articulate version and run it as admin.

EDIT: I did the "obvious" and it worked after that. I deleted articulate completely from my system. Important: Delete the Articulate folder in AppData as well! Simply uninstalling Articulate won't do it. After I reinstalled it everything worked flawlessly. It was probably a remainder of an older articulate version which didn't update properly.

Edited by Ssential

Very interesting, I'm Italian so it would be nice to add some "custom command editor" feature. I saw that is on the to do list.

Keep up!! :)