Mpstark

Articulate: Squad Voice Command Utility for Arma 3

I would have a shot now mate... I, too am new to ARMA and am finding "Articulate" absolutely brilliant. Very easy to install and really allowing me to enjoy ARMA in a much deeper way, a lot more quickly than I expected. Jump in ATTACKM0DE!

@m101 Sorry about the issue with ArmA 2, looks like it was only with Operation Arrowhead and was caused by me checking for the wrong executable name (arma2co instead of arma2oa) when determining whether or not to run a command. It has been fixed and you should be able to use it with ArmA 2 OA in the next release.

Thank you so much Spartan, i can't wait to test it in A2 :yay:

Hi

Thank you, apart from the few crashes this is already working better then any previous solution.

One feature I would like to see is a "Go" command with "Use selected action" as key. As "move to" is the default action we could direct teammates into specific places like house positions.

I know this only works with number buttons currently, but maybe it's possible...

might need some guidance on how to set it up

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Ok Ive got this program working. However, the program does not like my awesome Australian accent lol. It does not like the wat I say 'two' and doesn't recognise, 'regroup' at all. Otherwise this is great!!! Thanks.

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

Probably spoke too soon before reading that 'regroup' is not a command lol.. I use 'fall back' instead - awesome program

Would it be possible to allow for multiple command keys? Between TeamSpeak, ACRE, in-game VON, etc, it's possible to have three or more active comms keys, and it would be nice to be able to bind them all as PTI rather than bind another key as PTL.

Thanks again for your outstanding work!

@Herzach I'll see what I can do about implementing this. Technically it is entirely possible, but doing so in a way that is still easy to configure and doesn't require explaining will require some thought. For the next release, I'll try and get the supporting code in place to allow this.

Update

I've got the code implemented to allow this functionality, but it poses the question:

If you're running in Push To Talk or Push To Arm mode, would you prefer to allow combinational key-binds (Shift + Space) or (as requested by Herzach for Push To Ignore) "any of" key-binds (Shift or Space). If necessary, I can also make switching between the two possible - however that will further complicate the UI and make it more difficult to use for new users. What are your thoughts?

The way I see it, combos would be useful in any case, while multiple binds would be useful only in PTI. If it's easier, I'd say go with only implementing combos. The last thing I'd want is to give you cause to add unneeded complexity to this wonderfully elegant application.

Would anyone else want to see multiple binds, particularly for PTI, or am I the outlier?

The way I see it, combos would be useful in any case, while multiple binds would be useful only in PTI. If it's easier, I'd say go with only implementing combos. The last thing I'd want is to give you cause to add unneeded complexity to this wonderfully elegant application.

Would anyone else want to see multiple binds, particularly for PTI, or am I the outlier?

The use case is right there -- there are multiple keys for communicating to humans and PTI is for ignoring that kind of voice input -- so PTI should accommodate this. I'll add it to the issue tracker, but it isn't a high priority since ordering AI squad around is very rare when playing with other humans (though hopefully, with Articulate, it shouldn't be too horrible).

I've actually had an idea which offers a workable alternative, keeping the basic UI functionality as simple as possible while still allowing us to provide this and other, future, options. I am looking at implementing an Advanced Settings window in which you will be able to manage settings beyond the scope of your average user's configuration.

These will include the ability to map multiple key-combinations, as well as providing tools to tweak your grammar etc once that is implemented.

I am also going to be replacing the current binding code with one that allows you to easily bind compound key-presses (Shift + Space etc.), hopefully in time for the next release.

I competely agree, Harzach. Multiple push-to-talk and push-to-ignore keys are definetely needed because there are already TS, ACRE and VON. Who knows if the future brings even more applications which have to work with Articulate?

I think the user should be allowed to specify as many different key combos as he may need. There shouldn't be limitaions such as only the obvious "SHIFT and a key" or "CTRL and a key". Even extremely strange combos such as "DELETE, CTRL and a key" should work because these seemingly useless combos can always serve as makros transferable to a mouse key or a joystick button. By the way, by setting up a pti keyI found out that Articulate doesn't seem to understand a few of the keyboard keys. Is this because of the WIP status or do we have to simply accept it?

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

ordering AI squad around is very rare when playing with other humans

There are MP mission where AI is used to fill the void if there aren't enough human players. Then a squad leader will be in charge of a mixed group of humans and AI. Also, there are game forms which encourage commanding as all human players are given an AI squad to order around. This creates a very lively battlefield. But, frankly speaking, I have always avoided such missions. Maybe this will change with Articulate.

By the way, by setting up a pti keyI found out that Articulate doesn't seem to understand a few of the keyboard keys. Is this because of the WIP status or do we have to simply accept it?

This is definitly a WIP problem. Could you get a list of the keys (not include the mouse keys) that don't work? I'm think that this has to do with the QWERTZ format.

There are MP mission where AI is used to fill the void if there aren't enough human players. Then a squad leader will be in charge of a mixed group of humans and AI. Also, there are game forms which encourage commanding as all human players are given an AI squad to order around. This creates a very lively battlefield. But, frankly speaking, I have always avoided such missions. Maybe this will change with Articulate.

I'd love to see more MP maps like this, but unfortunately, squad AI control is just too limited (even with Articulate) for this to be a popular option. Hopefully, the Articulate team can grow to include an Arma modification that extends this functionality (and then is signed for MP use). WW AIMenu's system (including waypoints, clear/garrison building command, heal up command, etc.) might be a good place to start.

Progress Update

By the looks of it, binding different sets of keys to Push to Ignore seems to be a rather important feature, as is the ability to bind combinations of keys (Shift + Space etc.) - in light of this, I have rewritten the key handling logic to provide the following functionality:

- Bind multiple distinct key combinations (Alt + Space, Ctrl, Alt + CapsLock, etc.)

- Bind multiple keys to a combination (Ctrl + Space etc.)

- Bind combinations of mouse/keyboard keys (Ctrl + RMB)

- Bind random combinations of keys (C + V etc.)

It has resulted in a slightly more cluttered settings popup for the time being, so we're working on adding a separate settings window to help clear things up. Whether all this will make it into the next release is yet to be decided, we'd like to make a release ASAP to address some of the issues you guys have been having (Lack of ArmA 2 OA support etc.) and may end up holding off on releasing the new key-binding code and settings window as a result. So, look for this new functionality in either the next release or the one following that.

Confirmed Fixes for Next Release:

- ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead will now receive key inputs

- It is now possible to bind mouse buttons at the command keys

- Improved application loading performance

Michael has also been working on some major improvements to the speech engine grammar which should hopefully allow for the implementation of custom commands and even different grammars (supporting games outside ArmA) once that is completed.

might need some guidance on how to set it up

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Ok Ive got this program working. However, the program does not like my awesome Australian accent lol. It does not like the wat I say 'two' and doesn't recognise, 'regroup' at all. Otherwise this is great!!! Thanks.

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

Probably spoke too soon before reading that 'regroup' is not a command lol.. I use 'fall back' instead - awesome program

Aussie accent here too! I went through the windows/Microsoft speech recognition thing a few times and that made it loads more accurate. That is the key I reckon!

May you have many wives and children because of this!

Are you planning on going open source or keeping this as your own baby?

I really would like to see how you achieved this in C#.

Are you planning on going open source or keeping this as your own baby?

I really would like to see how you achieved this in C#.

It is already completely open sourced under the extremely open MIT/X11 licence. The source is available at https://github.com/Mpstark/articulate

Michael has also been working on some major improvements to the speech engine grammar which should hopefully allow for the implementation of custom commands and even different grammars (supporting games outside ArmA) once that is completed.

Tremendous!

Whoa, why the hate? ;)

Is there a workaround for those who does not have speechrecognition in Windows? Maybe add the libraries in the installer and make it a standalone program.

There is currently no workaround, Microsoft's Speech Recognition has to be installed for this application to work. As far as bundling the libraries goes, not only do I believe this is illegal but it would also needlessly increase the size of the installer for those who have speech recognition installed already (most of the users, and any user upgrading the software).

Something we may be able to implement in future is the ability for the installer to detect if Speech Recognition is installed and suggest the download link if it is not.

Wow. I'm really impressed! A big :thumbsup: for you! :)

:clap:

I'd love to see more MP maps like this, but unfortunately, squad AI control is just too limited (even with Articulate) for this to be a popular option. Hopefully, the Articulate team can grow to include an Arma modification that extends this functionality (and then is signed for MP use). WW AIMenu's system (including waypoints, clear/garrison building command, heal up command, etc.) might be a good place to start.

Actually my buddies and I play allot of BE Warfare (BECTI), Domination, and some other Co-Op maps where AI is used to fill in the squad. Some of the fun of taking an objective as "squad leader" is to see how many of your AI soldiers survive the engagement. I have found on a number of occasions that using voice command is an invaluable tool in keeping my squad alive and the game pace moving.

i'd like to compile the source code myself because i can't wait anymore for the fix for Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead compatibility :) . I found the line code which contains the said error; or at least i think i found it. Its in MainWindow.xaml (arma2co instead of arma2oa as stated by SPARTAN-563 ).

I'm noob to coding, any information on how to do that(compile this articulate source code), something to start me on the right track , i would appreciated

i'd like to compile the source code myself because i can't wait anymore for the fix for Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead compatibility :) . I found the line code which contains the said error; or at least i think i found it. Its in MainWindow.xaml (arma2co instead of arma2oa as stated by SPARTAN-563 ).

I'm noob to coding, any information on how to do that(compile this articulate source code), something to start me on the right track , i would appreciated

You would compile it with a copy of Visual Studio. We will be releasing a version soon with this fix along with several others soon.

@m101 You can solve the problem temporarily by manually editing your settings file and changing the "arma2co" entry in that to "arma2oa". Your settings file is located at %AppData%\Articulate\Settings.xml, which you can open by pressing Win + R and pasting that in. Hopefully that'll tide you over until the release of our next version.