Sign in to follow this  
iceman77

Best bang for the buck gfx card atm?

I've an asus gtx560 atm. It was the best bang for the buck at the time I got it ~1 year ago. What is the best bang for the buck gfx card out there now? I'm not a "hype" nut, so I know nothing outside of what I've.

Also, what's the difference between total available graphics memory & dedicated graphics memory? To determine available vram I mean. It says i've 4095MB total available graphics memory & 1024MB dedicated graphics memory. I'm assuming the latter determines vram? So I've a 1GB card? You'll have to forgive my ignorance.

Thanks.

Edited by Iceman77

Seriously guys!? I figured I'd have atleast 20 opinions by now :cool:

Wait till the new AMD cards are out, prices for older cards from both companies might go down.

Wait till the new AMD cards are out, prices for older cards from both companies might go down.

Sound advice. Will do.

Edit: Forget total video memory and just look at on-board dedicated.

Ahh okay. Thanks.

The absolute best deal really depends on what places you have available to buy from as prices can vary from retailer to retailer along with region playing a big part.

For the longest while now it seems the best performance to dollar ratio has been the AMD Radeon 7950. Although the 7970 has had price drops recently as well, either are a great choice and available right now for insane prices.

On the other hand, if you're able to wait, a few weeks, AMD is launching their new set of cards which according to rumors and benchmarks will be top dog for awhile. The R9 290X will be the flagship new card, but the R9 280X will be a rebranded 7970 GHZ with some minor enhancements. Because the 280X and the 7970 will be essentially the same card expect the price on the 7970 to be cheaper for the same performance as a 280X until they are sold out.

AMD is looking fairly strong right now with the next line-up of GPU's, the announcement of Mantle, and their never settle bundles giving additional value.

If you do choose to go with an AMD card, you very well could mine cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin or Litecoin which could help the card pay for itself

Answering would have been much easier if you listed your budget.

Well this is my opinion. I have a samsung computer with an I7, RADEON GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS 7 and its a laptop. But, it is realy a good laptop, I can even run FSX graphics to the max and it will still be smooth (even with arma 3). However, because you are looking for a graphics card, I would recommend the requirements I have at the top of this reply.

Hope it helps,

Ranwer

Thanks! Though I did give that a gander before starting this thread.

I'll wait until the AMD cards come out then to make my decision & hopefully prices will drop across the board. I've personally been really keen on Nvidia products though as they've always given me the least trouble in the past. The last Radeon card I bought was 400$ & it lasted 4 days before it took a shit on me. And I don't even dabble with any OC bs. Ofcourse it was a huge runaround to get my money back & left me with no pc for over a month!

I'm very happy with the low-mid range pc I've now though, and I'm very satisfied with it's performance regarding Arma3. I would just like a card with over 1GB, as I could see a performance increase for fairly cheap & also for future games.

Thanks all for the replies, it is very much appreciated. I'd rather rely on you guys than all of the google searches I've done in the past week!

Current Setup:

i5-2500k

asus gtx560

8GB corsair 1600 ram

asus p8p67-pro mobo

antec 900 case

22" hp monitor

Edited by Iceman77

I've an asus gtx560 atm. It was the best bang for the buck at the time I got it ~1 year ago. What is the best bang for the buck gfx card out there now? I'm not a "hype" nut, so I know nothing outside of what I've.

Also, what's the difference between total available graphics memory & dedicated graphics memory? To determine available vram I mean. It says i've 4095MB total available graphics memory & 1024MB dedicated graphics memory. I'm assuming the latter determines vram? So I've a 1GB card? You'll have to forgive my ignorance.

Thanks.

Note, ATI-cards are NOT the best choice if u want to play high-end graphics. They are great into render videos and stuff like that. I would prefer nVidia.