Sign in to follow this  
Billywitchdoctor

Need help finding and understanding Hitpoints for vehicles

Hi, I'm kind of new to Arma 2 editing and I can't seem to understand the Hitpoints class for vehicles. Not only that, I'm not even sure that the information that I was given was correct. Can somone explain the Hitpoints class to me in simple terms for somone new to editing? I would appreciate any help given.

Hitpoints are directly connected with damage system of an object. You may look here: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Damage

Using hitpoints associated with a hide/unhide type of animation one can change the object model from a brand new into almost wrecked, ie. you can create complex shape of an aircraft's wing divided into several parts. Then, you have to make "damaged" version of every parts of that wing. Whenever bullets hit the wing, system calculates which parts of the wing could be damaged/destroyed based on distance to hitpoints and type of bullet. Consequently system changes undamaged part(s) of the wing into damaged/destroyed one(s), if they exists. That's more complex way of using hitpoints (you can see it working in case of car's wheels). The most common use is to create hitpoints in its LOD in place of specific systems of an vehicle like engine, flight instruments, fuel tank, ammunition, rotors in order to simulate systems' failures, when they are hit by bullets or obstacles.

Edited by NightIntruder

Here is how damage is done to a hitpoint, at least in theory.

A bullet is shot by a unit and impacts the firegeolod.

There is a check to see if the bullet hits near any hitpoints on the hitpoints LOD.

Hitpoints must have named selections that correspond to a config entry, so it checks the properties of the named selection via its name.

Based on the data in the hitpoints class that correspond to the name of its named selection, damage is done to both the damage capacity of the hitpoint (as defined in the config), and the total damage of the vehicle.

Hitpoints are not like the number of points you have to decrease by hitting, like in Dungeons and Dragons maybe. They are physical points you have to hit (near) in order to damage a thing on a vehicle. Hitpoints themselves have their own damage capacity and other properties.