Sign in to follow this  
Robertqx

Fast Ropes for Helicopters?

Hey.

Just like to say I really love the game despite its current problems. I do think there's a problem in gaming with devs taking their communities for granted though, and hope that isn't happening here.

Anyway, I was wondering about fast ropes for helicopters? Sometimes it can take while to land, and you can't really land on rooftops, which is where fast roping would come in.

Any thoughts on that?

Really can't believe this isn't a standard option now by BIS - Hopefully a mod will come out soon. But this is one of those options / abilities that I can't believe wasn't a standard feature for Helicopters to have by now in A3

Hey.

Just like to say I really love the game despite its current problems. I do think there's a problem in gaming with devs taking their communities for granted though, and hope that isn't happening here.

Anyway, I was wondering about fast ropes for helicopters? Sometimes it can take while to land, and you can't really land on rooftops, which is where fast roping would come in.

Any thoughts on that?

Some guy managed to port it to Arma 3 but the download link is broken. Let me know if you manage to find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRasPgVrE-U

Yeah, that looks like what we need. Would not only help helicopters deploy without landing but also will allow troops to land on rooftops.

It looks cool, but is it really needed?

It takes way too long for them to get out on the ropes, going down on ground and letting them all out would be 2x faster probably

As above, looks too static and slow for my liking. I never liked ARMA 2's 'fast roping' from ACE2 and the likes.

Well, at the very least it would be more realistic. And as stated, I think it would allow troops to be able to deploy on rooftops and other places where the helicopter can't easily find a landing spot (in the middle of cities for example).

Adding fastropes if anything would add to more UNREALISTIC play. Fast ropes aren't common at all in the military at any level. It looks cool but tactically its very frowned upon.......your bird is sitting at an elevated position where everyone can see it but still close enough to be shot down. Its quicker for the bird to just "touch and go" on the roof aka it lands on the roof or hovers just over for the soldiers to jump out.

"Fast"-roping...

• takes much longer than landings
  • has a bigger risk of either the passengers or the pilot screwing something up
  • leaves passengers vulnerable for a longer period of time
  • leaves the helicopter exposed

The situations where you'd need such a feature in want of landing space are not applicable in the Arma series. There aren't too many scenarios where you need to get troops onto a hostile ship that doesn't have a helipad nor anyone to just shoot the chopper and its contents.

It is useful for deploying troops from a helicopter in places where the helicopter itself cannot touch down

Nuff said really

Saying that fastroping is not a good idea and no longer used is false.

Even ST6 planned to use it (and used it) during Neptune Spear.

Moreover, all the SF are trained to it (still trained), so I really don't think that fastrope in ArmA is irrelevant.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

BTW, any chance to watch the full video of the Irene operation somewhere?

There is use for it when you start talking about user-created maps. Clafghan for example.

(Most people are talking about a target insertion where FR is not advocated, but FR's are used in cold insertions)

Edited by Rye

Again, fast ropes don't HAVE to be used to deploy troops. However, real militaries have the option of using fast ropes and do, and so should we, IMO (along with flash bangs). You cannot land helicopters in the middle of cities much of the time, or on rooftops (some / most), but you CAN fast rope into these areas. Fast roping may not be optimal in all situations, but between not being able to deploy in that area period, and being able to deploy with fast ropes, obviously it is better to have fast ropes.

The problem is that in more situations than not, landing to allow all troops out is the better alternative. Fast roping is too dangerous when there's enemies around as they can shoot at the helicopter. Of course there are probably some people who'd make a mission where fast roping is the superior way of entering, but I don't think it'd have a big enough benefit for the community as a whole for BIS to include it in the vanilla game. If they can give us the tools, I'm sure some modders can figure it out.

any modern open world military game that wants to be taken seriously needs fast roping. being that this was implemented in takeon already, i would say this is a conscious decision to once again do the least amount of work possible at the cost of some really interesting and innovative features.

I should agree that fast roping isn't the best option for most of the times but a serious military simulator should employ it.

Situations when the LZ is too narrowed or impaired should need fast roping. Let's say for example an oil rig captured by terrorists and it's helipad being blocked by the hostiles. Or in night stealth missions where snipers should be deployed in the woods. Locations where helicopters just can not land.

It is also true that fast roping requires an extremely good and trained pilot, when off course extreme auto hover or other unrealistic features are disabled. Especially when the weather conditions are harsh fast roping can even prove fatal if the pilot isn't experienced. A possibility which can frustrate the players that are fast roping. In general a lot of trust should be employed for the pilot.

You should take a look at it:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?157529-BTC-Logistic-A3-BETA

I know it's rude and you don't see the ropes, but it's just a script! Better than nothing ;)

I'd love to use it, but your mod calls for RSC Titles, and another mod I use also wants to use it, and until I can figure out how to make them work together then I can only pick one.

Gentleman we may be in luck,

Endstar is a Game Designer at Bohemia Trollactive and might be working on Physx Ropes for Arma 3. Endstar was the developer who recently solved the Physx multiplayer crashes with one line of code too. :icon_twisted:

https://twitter.com/Endstar

lJFirL2.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/24fBD0w.png (126 kB)

Confirmed?

Edited by James2464

Well if they think it is important / realistic enough for VBS, maybe they could get it to Arma as well?