nightovizard

[WIP] VTOL Tiltrotor Aircrafts

I really miss the V-22 and the C-130 from Arma 2, I was hoping BI released something related to that, but ''at the moment'' it seems that they are only working on 2 CAS aircrafts (Which are good news BTW). But still there is a lack of heavy choppers and cargo planes. In addition the only heavy transport helicopter is the Mohawk for independents, and there is not any Cargo plane.

Some time ago I saw an AC-130 addon for Arma 3 http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159315-AC-130X-for-Arma-3 , and I was surprised by it's quality (despite that known issues and problems it may have). So I decided to talk to J0nes , the creator of that Addon.

I told him that since the game is set in the year 2035, and that tiltrotor/vtol/stealth technology is improving, he could try to create new addons for Arma 3 related to those such as the V-22 , V-44 (QTR heavy VTOL) , AV-44 (Kinda AC-130) and the V-280. But since it is set in the year 2035, it should incorporate some STEALTH technology, because ''non-stealth aircrafts won't survive in the battles of tomorrow''. (At least for NATO)

He said he would like to do that, but that he is busy with the AC-130 and other projects at the moment, so he wouldn't be able to start until next year, or later. So I decided to try to get something done, and these are the results, though I don't have enough skills to get them finished for arma 3 by myself, so I would appreciate if someone volunteered to help me finish this project.(Still WIP):

NATO:

V-25 Phantom Osprey (V-22 Osprey + weapon underside + Stealth)

V-25_Phantom_Osprey.jpg

V-45 Pelican (V-44 QTR concept + Stealth)

http://img92.exs.cx/img92/3766/spivey1page219lz.jpg

V-44_Pelican.jpg

AV-45 Spectre Pelican (Gunship variant of the V-45, kinda AC-130) http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/6901/v4419qq.jpg http://www.hahnsoft.com/images/quad_tiltrotor.jpg

AV-44_Spectre_Pelican.jpg

AHV-284 Courage ( Attack helicopter + Chopper + VTOL + ''Stealth'' similar to the AH-80 Blackfoot)

http://www.photosheaf.com/pics/t/pp59541.jpg

AHV-284_Courage.jpg

HV-911 Eagle Eye (Tiltrotor unmanned UAV, it doesn't have weapons due to it's size and stealth design, so it is used for recon missions and to design targets with laser for the Valors and Comanches missiles as well as other attack aircrafts.) http://stargazer2006.online.fr/pics/eagleeye-3view.jpg https://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/TRUSgroundmount.jpg

HV-911_EEye-KZ-73_HEye.jpg

CSAT:

ZYPO-201 Piranha ( Attack helicopter + Chopper + VTOL similar to the mi 48 kajman + http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3716/12880920043_ac88254d02_m.jpg)

ZYPO-201_Piranha.jpg

ZY-28 Sea Lion (2 wing tiltrotor aircraft + weapon underside, similar to the v 22 osprey)

ZY-28_Sea_Lion.jpg

ZY-50 Whale (V-44 QTR concept + Chinese blue whale concept)

http://img92.exs.cx/img92/3766/spivey1page219lz.jpg

ZY-50_Whale.jpg

ZYO-50 Killer Whale Gunship variant. 1 x GAU-12/U 25 mm, 1 x Bofors 40 mm , 1 x 120 mm Mortar

ZYO-50_Killer_Whale.jpg

KZ-73 Hawk Eye

Same as NATO.

As you can see, I tried to add to them a STEALTH feeling, kinda similar to UH-60 to UH-80 upgrade. So it doesn't have that ''sci-fi'' feeling at all, it's not that distant, it's not like if they had an invisible cloaking system or things that seem imposible at the moment, they fit the 2035 setting.

Hope you like it, If you have any other suggestions feel free to post them.

General overview:

Tiltrotors_overview.jpg

What kind of weapons are you planning on implementing? also, they look great!

Just the gun?

V-25 Phantom Osprey - http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/MV-22_Osprey_with_RGS_1.jpg Basically a gun yes, I might not place it at the end due to balancing purposes.

V-45 Pelican - None

AV-45 Spectre Pelican - 1 x GAU-12/U 25 mm , 1 x Bofors 40 mm , 1 x 120 mm Mortar (And then maybe AGM-114 Hellfire or Hydra 70. Maybe 1 x Mk 44 Bushmaster II instead of the 25 mm one, but this was a cancelled military project)

AHV-284 Courage - 1 x M230 30 mm , AGM-114 Hellfire , Hydra 70 and AIM-92 Stinger. (But upgraded to Arma 3 comanche ones)

HV-911 Eagle Eye - None, its a laser target designator and recon vehicle.

Same for CSAT counterparts.

Also:

considering that the devs may have used this as a concept for the A-164 Wipeout:

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=17185

I think those VTOLS could become helpful too, it would be great if the devs were inspired by them just like what happened with the futuristic A-10.

Edited by nightovizard
Updated.
  • Like 1

Aww yiss! I'm all over that, nice work. Any possibility you could do the TR75 too? It was my favourite design for the JHL program.

Beautiful idea. V-44 would be amazing but the AV-44 dam that's over the top. I'm defiantly going to be checking the progression of this. Best of luck with them.

Aww yiss! I'm all over that, nice work. Any possibility you could do the TR75 too? It was my favourite design for the JHL program.

I might add the Bell HV-911 Eagle Eye UAV since it has a totally different role from the 4 ones from above, but the TR75 role is the same as the V-45's and can carry less weight, so unless it has some ''unique'' feature I would prefer not to add it. http://www.barnstormers.com/eFLYER/2008/047-eFLYER-FA01-11-500x265.jpg

Oh and thanks for the coments :)

EDIT:

I have added a HV-911 Eagle Eye UAV screenshot.

Edited by nightovizard

Very interesting, you got me into researching about tiltrotors further. Good luck with this project mate!

After some hours, I have been able to get a good looking UAV based off the HV-911 Eagle Eye , check the first post, I added some screenshots there.

What kind of weapons are you planning on implementing? also, they look great!

Just the gun?

V-25 Phantom Osprey - http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/MV-22_Osprey_with_RGS_1.jpg Basically a gun yes.

V-45 Pelican - None

AV-45 Spectre Pelican - 2 x GAU-12/U 25 mm , Bofors 40 mm , 120 mm Mortar (And then maybe AGM-114 Hellfire or Hydra 70. Maybe 2 x Mk 44 Bushmaster II instead of the 25 mm one, but this was a military cancelled project)

V-280 Valor - 1 x M230 30 mm , AGM-114 Hellfire , Hydra 70 and AIM-92 Stinger. (But upgraded to Arma 3 comanche Ones)

HV-911 Eagle Eye - None

Edited by nightovizard

Fantastic. Just a note (not a critic here) that the V-44 did not need the V-22 tail assembly. If it is there for coolness, good to go, but if you get to where you want to cut poly count for other bits and pieces, I would make that as a recommendation to you. Really looking forward to flying these birds in game.

AV-45 Spectre Pelican - 2 x GAU-12/U 25 mm , Bofors 40 mm , 120 mm Mortar (And then maybe AGM-114 Hellfire or Hydra 70. Maybe 2 x Mk 44 Bushmaster II instead of the 25 mm one, but this was a cancelled project)

What do you mean by cancelled project? This heavy gunship is what I was mostly waiting for. This mod is going to be awesome if you manage to do and relase it. I can`t wait to use it. GL with it, I would love to help but i have no idea about it :c also sorry for my english.

What do you mean by cancelled project? This heavy gunship is what I was mostly waiting for. This mod is going to be awesome if you manage to do and relase it. I can`t wait to use it. GL with it, I would love to help but i have no idea about it :c also sorry for my english.

Lol no, I mean that there was a military project that wanted to replace the GAU-12/U 25 mm for Mk 44 Bushmaster II 30 mm, but it was cancelled, that's why I'm probably not going to add these. But I don't know, Comanche is a cancelled project too and it's part of Arma 3.

Fantastic. Just a note (not a critic here) that the V-44 did not need the V-22 tail assembly. If it is there for coolness, good to go, but if you get to where you want to cut poly count for other bits and pieces, I would make that as a recommendation to you. Really looking forward to flying these birds in game.

I saw some concepts with tail, and others without it, and I did not like the c-130 tail for it, so I decided to add one similar to the V-22, and in Exchange of that I changed V-25 (v-22) tail a bit. BTW, thanks for the suggestion :)

and I'll repeat what i said in the first post, I don't have enough skills to get them finished for arma 3 by myself (My first time attempting something like this for Arma), hopefully j0nes (Creator of the arma 3 AC-130) will start helping with it by next year, and hopefully someone else will volunteer for this. Meanwhile, I'll try to get it done as much as posible.

Edited by nightovizard

If I were you I'd copy the armed "stealth" VTOLs from Resident Evil.

I like the idea of Tiltrotors in ArmA III but can you please make the V-280 realistic, that is nothing like the actual design, it is about the size of a v-22 in real life, It looks more like a V-22 Osprey and a BlackHawk had a Baby, it is designed to have a 30-MM Nose gun and possible rocket pods in the attack variant. You can check for images of the V-280 on google and Bell's website

If I were you I'd copy the armed "stealth" VTOLs from Resident Evil.

Sure that was a good inspiration, but I don't want to copy it at all. I used it and a F-117 as a reference so it looks quite differen, plus the ones from resident evil had plenty of different weapons which don't make sense for the v-22 role. That's why I decided to add the V-280 valor gunship/cargo version.

I like the idea of Tiltrotors in ArmA III but can you please make the V-280 realistic, that is nothing like the actual design, it is about the size of a v-22 in real life, It looks more like a V-22 Osprey and a BlackHawk had a Baby, it is designed to have a 30-MM Nose gun and possible rocket pods in the attack variant. You can check for images of the V-280 on google and Bell's website

Thats just a concept, bell is still discussing about it, the V-280 will probably suffer many changes by 2035, just compare UH-60-UH-80, plus:

''An utility variant capable of carrying 11 passengers and four crew (Pretty much an UH-60 with tiltrotor capabilities), and an attack variant using the same fuselage that would presumably replace the AH-64 Apache (?). Artist’s impressions show the attack aircraft being able to carry precision guided weapons in a payload bay as well as under the wings. A turreted gun would fit under the nose.''

And i wanted to give my own view of the V-280, plus based off in another military tiltrotor aircraft concept:

http://www.photosheaf.com/pics/t/pp59541.jpg (Left corner)

so yes, I did something as realistic as posible considering it is based off actual cocnepts and the game is set in 2035.

Edited by nightovizard

its not likely that its going to be that different than the current design...considering it is set for first flight in 2017, meaning that the current design is the closest we will get to what the final design of the V-280.

Edit:Also the games time may be set in 2035 but the only thing futuristic about it is the CSAT Uniform, All of the stuff in that game exists Like the Hunter=Oshkosh M-ATV, Ifrit-Vysnir (or something like that),M2A1 Slammer=Merkava M4, Marshall=Patricia AMV.

Edited by AngelWingGamingJacob

its not likely that its going to be that different than the current design...considering it is set for first flight in 2017, meaning that the current design is the closest we will get to what the final design of the V-280.

Edit:Also the games time may be set in 2035 but the only thing futuristic about it is the CSAT Uniform, All of the stuff in that game exists Like the Hunter=Oshkosh M-ATV, Ifrit-Vysnir (or something like that),M2A1 Slammer=Merkava M4, Marshall=Patricia AMV.

Mi-48 Kajman (Besed off russian helicopters)

AH-99 Blackfoot (It's a cancelled Project)

Blufor and opfor use some weapons/turrets that are the same.

Armata is the Russian universal Platform plan. A one platform what is used with MBT, SPAAG, SAM, Artillery etc. And now suddenly NATO got those.

Etc

There is much more futuristic tan what you think, first and foremost i'm trying to make a ''stealth'' design for them, which any future plans for it ar unknown (UH-60 Stealth program was discovered recently, but until not long ago nobody know about it, and the main reson is because 1 of these fall)

http://aviationintel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/stealth-tail.jpg

''One or multiple of the Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawks used in the raid upon Osama bin Laden's compound on 1 May 2011 are believed to have featured stealth technologies. These features are said to include specialized materials, and the use of harsh angles and flat surfaces across the exterior fuselage, techniques previously employed upon other stealth aircraft.''

And then arma 3 Uh-80 was born.

So don't trust much the concepts, because that's everything they just are, concepts, some will make it and suffer changes, and others will not (Comanche).

If it was an actual prototype I would trust it more.

Since tiltrotor technology is so expensive (V-22 is one of the 10 most expensive aircrafts in the world) I have some doubts if V-280 and that V-? gunship supposed to replace the apache will really make it. Same for the V-44. This is just an hypothetical concept if that come to happen someday.

Edited by nightovizard

The important thing is to make the addon you want to make, and so far what you've got looks good, such that I will be using it when you release it.

Looking forward to seeing the work continue

I get that but the design of the UH-80 is from the movie Zero Dark Thirty and may actually be the design of the real one, but the government has neither confirmed or denied that as far as i know and also the US army hosted the idea and chose the v-280 to replace the apache so it will happen most likely, and im pretty sure that it would be in the late 2040s (according to the introduction of the blackhawk all the way to the Bin laden raid {1974-2011}) and plus people are more into realism, sure the V-44 i would personally love to have, its awkward having space looking V-280s in the sky

I get that but the design of the UH-80 is from the movie Zero Dark Thirty and may actually be the design of the real one, but the government has neither confirmed or denied that as far as i know and also the US army hosted the idea and chose the v-280 to replace the apache so it will happen most likely, and im pretty sure that it would be in the late 2040s (according to the introduction of the blackhawk all the way to the Bin laden raid {1974-2011}) and plus people are more into realism, sure the V-44 i would personally love to have, its awkward having space looking V-280s in the sky

I think they're looking at something like this, which I found in an issue of Popular Science I was reading in the lobby of the hospital the other day:

o4nUc4I.jpg

Anyways, I like to see such an ambitious project. I love the stealth aspect of these tiltrotors, too. It makes them fit in with vanilla assets better.

I think they're looking at something like this, which I found in an issue of Popular Science I was reading in the lobby of the hospital the other day:

http://i.imgur.com/o4nUc4I.jpg

Anyways, I like to see such an ambitious project. I love the stealth aspect of these tiltrotors, too. It makes them fit in with vanilla assets better.

Thats just one of the concepts for the v-280 gunship variant, Supposedly this one wouldn't be able to transport infantry, it would only be an apache with tiltrotors. So what I did was mixing both of them, to make a similar aircraft to the MI-24, but with tiltrotor technology, instead of having 2 different ones as it is planned to be done. So since it isn't a V-280 at all (Combines an apache + a black hawk + osprey) I might change it's name. Maybe AHV-284 Courage?

Thats just one of the concepts for the v-280 gunship variant, Supposedly this one wouldn't be able to transport infantry, it would only be an apache with tiltrotors. So what I did was mixing both of them, to make a similar aircraft to the MI-24, but with tiltrotor technology, instead of having 2 different ones as it is planned to be done. So since it isn't a V-280 at all (Combines an apache + a black hawk + osprey) I might change it's name. Maybe AHV-284 Courage?

no that picture has been around way before the V-280s Announcement,

heres a picture of the V-280:V-280-Flug.jpg.jpg.2332128.jpg

heres the concept Tiltrotor attack vehicle (which looks like a falcon from HALO):o4nUc4I.jpg(yes this is the same picture of the one theevancat posted)

maybe you can add the V-280 in as another vehicle and use the current one as a tiltrotor gunship like name it the AV-540 Killzone

Edited by AngelWingGamingJacob