Sign in to follow this  
gavc

AI on a Dedicated Server

hi folks,

I'm new to running a server, we've got our own edited map for our small clan and it's working fine so far. I have noticed that the AI is pretty bad though. I've editing the server profile and tweaked the difficulty however it's not enough.

I've seen TMR / TPW mods and was wondering if any experienced voice can recommend or comment on their experiences using these mods. TPW seems to need quite a bit of bodging to get working multiplayer, and i havent done much reading on TMR yet.

At the moment, our server runs CBA ,JayArma3lib and the various mods need to get ACRE working.

Thanks in advance

Gav

What do you mean by "AI is pretty bad"? They act really dumb? Check and make sure your server FPS is above 15 (login using in-game admin, type #monitor 2) as low server FPS = dumb AI

As you mentioned TPW stuff is mostly for SP.. I would try @WW_AICover (I think that's what it's called). TMR is a client side mod IIRC.

Also @ASR_AI is out there (not officially released for Arma 3 yet) which is a great AI addon.

http://arma-sr.bzbit.com/projects/

Some addons like @ASR_AI only need to be run on the server (as most AI are controlled by the server).

Thanks Savage, I'll look into ASR, didnt realise it was an option for A3.

also didn't know that the server FPS can be related to AI competence. I was reading about @WW_AICover looks good, will give it a test run.

Gav

TPW & AICover are SP mods ...

Even an external skill script doesn't work right (like ZEUAICFG) especially with an headlessclient.

TPW & AICover are SP mods ...

Even an external skill script doesn't work right (like ZEUAICFG) especially with an headlessclient.

@WW_AICover is coded to work in MP.. and should work fine as long as both the server and clients are running it. @ASR_AI can be run server-side only (unless you are running a HC in which case the HC should run it as well).

OK, I thought @WW_AICover was coded like TPW, I will definitely give another try to @WW_AICover then !!!

For ZEUAICFG, as soon as I use it with an HC : the vehicles are lifeless ... we are pretty happy with vanilla skills for the moment. But @WW_AICover can bring more fun !!!

@WW_AICover is coded to work in MP.. and should work fine as long as both the server and clients are running it. @ASR_AI can be run server-side only (unless you are running a HC in which case the HC should run it as well).

Not MP compatible it seems :

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?161875-WW-AICover&p=2529325&viewfull=1#post2529325

If one member join your server with TPW mod, it can ruin your mission. We had a big coop last weekend and some (at least we suspect that) came with it...

What's happened: FPS server were at 15 (45 when we did our test...) and some civilian and vehicle appear during the game.

Conclusion: dumb AI, low performance for all the player.

Asrai & tpwcas are quite nearly good !!!

They sure are!! More AI mods are in the works as well by other people/groups.. should be interesting to see how they pan out.

TO have an idea of asrai and tpwcas : try filtering atchoom in servers list : give a try to this Domina (the side mission is buggued but you can try the main mission).

They do not appear in commandline but are activated (debug balls are ok).

They never throw smokes but that's probably because the AI don't have smokes in their packages.