Sign in to follow this  
doveman

Why is the inventory screen so small

The inventory/gear screen in A3 seems much smaller than the one in A2, making it harder to see details on the gear/weapons. Playing A3 on a TV from the sofa would be rather difficult I think, as it would be quite hard to see what's in the player's inventory.

I was playing some overhaul mod the other day and the inventory screen was pretty much fullscreen and was much nicer to use, without having to squint to see stuff, so why doesn't default A3 just use the fullscreen, or almost fullscreen, for the inventory as well?

What resolution is your TV? It's quite readable on a PC monitor with plenty of detail. I can read the 40mm on the grenade rounds, see the pockets on the vest, see the switches on the gun. Maybe use a monitor if you want quality over comfort? :)

There's an option to change inventory (=interface) size just for these kind of situations.

What resolution is your TV? It's quite readable on a PC monitor with plenty of detail. I can read the 40mm on the grenade rounds, see the pockets on the vest, see the switches on the gun. Maybe use a monitor if you want quality over comfort? :)

I'm using a 24" 1920x1200 IPS monitor and even on that it seems unreasonably small. Not unreadable but it just makes it hard to see the detail in the images and feels like it's unnecessaryily small and it would feel more comfortable if it used more of the screen.

It's mainly my friend who might play on my 36" 1280x720 TV sometimes for LAN Co-Op and I'm sure he'd struggle to see it clearly.

As Greenfist said, the inventory dialog and the UI in general scales based on what interface size you have selected in the options. This is the same behavior as in A2.

There's an option to change inventory (=interface) size just for these kind of situations.

Ah, OK. I had a look at the options to resize elements of the interface and couldn't see one specifically for Inventory.

OK, with the Interface on Very Large the Inventory looks better to me and uses most of the screen. This does of course make the rest of the GUI and menus very large as well though, which might be wanted/needed on a TV but not on the monitor, where I just want the inventory screen to be this size. I think reducing the transparency of the inventory screen a bit would be helpful as well.

---------- Post added at 08:45 ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 ----------

As Greenfist said, the inventory dialog and the UI in general scales based on what interface size you have selected in the options. This is the same behavior as in A2.

You're right of course but nevertheless the inventory text and icons still look smaller to me. Here's comparison shots of A2 and A3 both on Small.

arma2oa_2013_10_01_08_29_42_154.png

arma3_2013_10_01_08_32_56_741.png

I think you can see that the text (font) and icons in A3 are smaller and less distinctive and despite being obviously higher quality art, the smaller size means it's hard to appreciate this quality, which is a shame. I think the A3 screen is clearly more transparent as well, which can make it harder to see things quickly. You could argue it's only the empty slots that are particularly affected by this but if you look at the two slots to the right of the watch, it's not easy to be sure if they're occupied or not, due to the gun barrel showing through in the background (depending on where the player is looking when he opens the inventory, it could be a tree or a building showing through behind some slots that causes the same problem).

I think it's a matter of contrast. The A3 gear dialog is black & pretty transparent, which can maybe make it harder for some to read the text. My 2c.

Well the font is quite awful to begin with. Here's an image from July, guess the characters. Answer:

5689BS

I think the text has become more clear after that, but still, not the most readable of fonts. :icon_rolleyes:

By comparison, this is how the Inventory looks on Very Large, which I think is much better but of course then it makes the Ammo/Stance info box in the upper-right and all the menus, the Editor, etc Very Large as well, so I'd like a way to change the Inventory size to V.Large whilst leaving the rest on Small (or whatever is set in the Options). Still needs to be a bit less transparent as well though.

arma3_2013_10_01_12_02_49_133.png

arma3_2013_10_01_12_02_52_731.png

Well the font is quite awful to begin with. Here's an image from July, guess the characters. Answer:

5689BS

I think the text has become more clear after that, but still, not the most readable of fonts. :icon_rolleyes:

Yep, this.

And I don't like the interface size change because it screws addons\mods\gui more often than not.

Yep, this.

And I don't like the interface size change because it screws addons\mods\gui more often than not.

Yeah it can be troublesome for user made dialogs.